Long-distance camera limitation questions

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
3X110=330 watts, 4X110=440 watts. We're talking under a 100 watt load for the electronics and camera. Designing for higher power is probably a reasonable idea.

Reaction score
While I am sure everyone here knows what they are talking about and mean well, it would be smart on your part to have the electrical professionally installed. Depending on where you are, you probably need to have permits pulled and inspections done. You would define your needs to the electrician and he would do the proper work with the proper sized wires.

K119J58

n3wb
Reaction score
Roger that samplenhold. My driveway's bordered by woods on both sides and even at 250', I would prefer to have a professional install it as you have suggested. I only want to pay once. :)

Thanks for all of the great advice form everyone on this thread. I believe that I have a good path forward now: AC and fiber. Breakfast of champions.

Kevin_Essiambre

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
While I am sure everyone here knows what they are talking about and mean well, it would be smart on your part to have the electrical professionally installed. Depending on where you are, you probably need to have permits pulled and inspections done. You would define your needs to the electrician and he would do the proper work with the proper sized wires.
I'm an electrician by trade (born and raised into it) but would definitely follow this advice. Permits are mandatory where I am , and underground work requires a trench inspection in addition to other inspections which can complicate things for someone unfamiliar with these processes.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Kevin_Essiambre I hadn't given any thought to using the circuit for anything else however, the wife's previously suggested Xmas lights down the driveway. :facepalm:
I'm guessing if the camera doesn't solve it you might want either an electrically operated gate or a manual gate but with remote locking and an intercom system.

Kevin_Essiambre

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm guessing if the camera doesn't solve it you might want either an electrically operated gate or a manual gate but with remote locking and an intercom system.
One of these would make the perfect gate, if, you know, it wouldn't cost more than hiring a security guard for life.HD300-4-2-870x570.jpg

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thx for the discussion. I've decided to dramatically reduce the wire run from 1200' to 250' - 300'. I neglected the voltage drops and potential issues caused by lightning which were brought to light by several people on this thread (thanks). At 250', the voltage drop on a 120vac 12/2 line is more than 2.5%, assuming the camera's the only device on the circuit. I estimated that it would draw no more that 4A...is this correct?

So assuming I power the camera w/120vac, I've seen suggestions for running fiber for video/ data connection. I've not tackled anything like that before. Can I buy premade (250' - 300') fiber w/the ends? If so, I'll assume that I have to put it in conduit? What cameras take a fiber input? Any suggestions?
My furthest camera from my POE switch is 302 feet (read from the foot markers on the RJ45 cable jacket). I have zero issues with it using a Ubiquiti 24 port POE switch. My LPR camera is zoomed in and focused on a spot 100 feet further away from it too so I'd essentially be getting a view from over 400 feet away from my POE switch...

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Thx for the discussion. I've decided to dramatically reduce the wire run from 1200' to 250' - 300'. I neglected the voltage drops and potential issues caused by lightning which were brought to light by several people on this thread (thanks). At 250', the voltage drop on a 120vac 12/2 line is more than 2.5%, assuming the camera's the only device on the circuit. I estimated that it would draw no more that 4A...is this correct?

Kevin_Essiambre I hadn't given any thought to using the circuit for anything else however, the wife's previously suggested Xmas lights down the driveway. :facepalm:

So assuming I power the camera w/120vac, I've seen suggestions for running fiber for video/ data connection. I've not tackled anything like that before. Can I buy premade (250' - 300') fiber w/the ends? If so, I'll assume that I have to put it in conduit? What cameras take a fiber input? Any suggestions?
That is easy, The PTZ use a hi-poe PTZ and with a POE midspan, PFT1200. It can supports around 300ft poe power.
Use this latest new laser ptz, can reach 550m easily.

Smaller camera is easy, use ePOE one ,like IPC-T5442T-ZE IPC-T5442TM-AS which all support epoe, use cat6+ePOE NVR can reach 800m.
PTZ not support ePOE, because it has really big power consumption compare to the fixed cams.
1604556367440.png

K119J58

n3wb
Reaction score
That is easy, The PTZ use a hi-poe PTZ and with a POE midspan, PFT1200. It can supports around 300ft poe power.
Use this latest new laser ptz, can reach 550m easily.

Smaller camera is easy, use ePOE one ,like IPC-T5442T-ZE IPC-T5442TM-AS which all support epoe, use cat6+ePOE NVR can reach 800m.
PTZ not support ePOE, because it has really big power consumption compare to the fixed cams.
View attachment 74215
This looks interesting but it uses CAT6 cable and I'm concerned with potential lightning strikes induced into the Cat6. Running a 120vac line w/fiber seems like it would be more reliable??? Sorry - I'm a newbie at this and am trying to understand my bes (and least expensive options) for a good, working solution. I'm not tied to camera that's optimized for reading license plates; given where I would mount the IP camera, I could point it in the direction of where a car would be travelling up/ down my driveway and would likely have MAYBE 30 ft of distance between the camera and the vehicle. The driveway is a single lane, blacktop (no gravel dust to contend with).

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Long runs of copper are not cheap, especially if you are going circa 400m, need to dig the hole, buy conduit etc etc.

If you have solar access at the gate or somewhere nearby I would be considering setting up a solar station, with a wifi link back to the house.

One of these would make the perfect gate, if, you know, it wouldn't cost more than hiring a security guard for life.View attachment 74210
Rising bollards are significantly cheaper

K119J58

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes it would be.

A good cam for your use case would be the Dahua B5442E-Z4E (aka HFW5442E-Z4E). It is a 4MP on a 1/1.8" sensor that is an 8-32mm varifocal. I have one covering the intersection on my corner. I really like this cam.
Thx for the suggestions. Googled the model # and this camera came up in the search: the manufacturer claims that its "made by Dahua, just without logo" In the ratings, a user indicates that it works fine w/BI. Any comments?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
That camera has a 1/3" sensor which is two generations old. It will not perform well at night.

Kevin_Essiambre

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Where'd you get that voltage drop figure?
That % voltage drop is more like @ 4 amps, not 15, for 300 ft. of 12 AWG carrying 120VAC.
You're absolutely correct in that I screwed up my math for that.

It should be #6awg copper for 15 amps 120vac at 300 feet for 3.64% voltage drop.

I just knew something was off with that number... it wasn't right... I was very hesitant to make that post with those numbers, and as it turns out, I should have double checked them before posting.

Everyone makes mistakes.

dhenzler

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I would like to install a camera at the end of my driveway which is approximately 1200' long. I've read that I can use direct-bury Cat5e and POE outdoor extenders in a serial fashion every 100m to do this however I don't know if there's a limitation on the number of extenders that I can use OR if this config will even work. Looking for suggestions on how to solve this one...
Thx!
POE isn't as much of a problem as Ethernet is. Spec says 100 meters, or about 328 feet. Relay concept looks good on paper... but a WiFi link it more likely to work. You'll need power. So buy a couple rolls of #16 or 14 depending on what all you intend on powering up... and you'll need a 24dBi grid dish antenna pointed in that direction. No vegetation in the way... I used TP-Link WA-701ND radios costing under $25 ea one on each end.
I'm shooting 250 yards to a Skeet Range and get solid signal on the stock antennas for the other end. This makes the Ethernet distance issue go away. And likely all of the equipment would cost more than the wire to power the far end. The dish antenna & connectors and a short run of cable will be under $100 total. I bought a connectorized 30' length of Cisco cable and only needed adapters to convert the R-TNC to SMA and to Type N. All available on ebay.

Works like a champ. I have two SUNBA PTZ cams on it now and can do a couple more within the 802.11/b/g specifications.