Long-distance camera limitation questions

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I used TP-Link WA-701ND radios costing under $25 ea one on each end.
Unless you made a typo, those are indoor radios and if so, you'll need to accommodate their lack of provisions for outdoor use....that will raise the price.

I second the recommendation from @sebastiantombs: the Ubiquiti Nano radios are the way to go; they're designed for outdoor use and are ready to go when configured as a Layer 2 Transparent Bridge. They can also be purchased pre-configured; just ask a happy @Ffmike from last week ==>> Railcam

I've installed a dozen or more and not a glitch from any of them in over 5 years despite rain, wind, lightning, power outages, insects, etc. Got a lot of all those in rural AL.

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
You'd need power at the far end, but a dedicated, encrypted, RF link like the Ubuity Nano Loco M5 would work with no problem.

Ok so I have an Amcrest hybrid DVR/NVR out in a remote garage Would be transmitting 400ft. It's a real pain to go out and stand in a Homeowners stall in the dark and cold to view hours of video. I'm thinkin i could connect it to the Ubiquiti station's ethernet port and link it to my BI rack in the Condo....and log into the Amcrest or link it to BI...

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok so I have an Amcrest hybrid DVR/NVR out in a remote garage Would be transmitting 400ft. It's a real pain to go out and stand in a Homeowners stall in the dark and cold to view hours of video. I'm thinkin i could connect it to the Ubiquiti station's ethernet port and link it to my BI rack in the Condo....and log into the Amcrest or link it to BI...
Think of the Ubiquiti radio pair, when set up as a Layer 2 Transparent Bridge, as an invisible Ethernet CAT-5e cable between the 2 points with regard to data.....you're only lacking the pairs for POE.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
BTW, what's your LOS (Line Of Sight) like for that 400 feet? Any trees, foliage, buildings, etc. in the way?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
You'd need power at the far end, but a dedicated, encrypted, RF link like the Ubuity Nano Loco M5 would work with no problem.

I ordered a pair of these. Thanks.
Ubiquiti LocoM2 2-PACK PRE-CONFIGURED Nanostation Loco M2 AirMax CPE 2.4GHz

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

brianegge

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
To keep voltage drop under 5% on a 15 amp circuit at that length (15 amp so he can use that power for other stuff too), he'd have to install #1 copper or 3/0 aluminum. The cost of that cable, it would be cheaper to go solar with a battery system
I’m not at all an electrician, but when running cable to another building or location is there any requirement to have a neutral and ground? Can’t one simply put a grounding stake at the end of the run, and use 1/3 less copper? The power coming into your house doesn’t have neutral or ground - you provide them at your breaker panel.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The power coming into your house doesn’t have neutral or ground - you provide them at your breaker panel.
Not so....in a residential, 120/240 VAC, 3 wire, split phase service, the center tap of the utility company's transformer secondary IS tied to a ground rod driven at the base of the pole and is also tied to the secondary grounding grid running from pole to pole (or pad to pad if underground wiring and pad-mounted transformers).

That bare service neutral is tied to the bare ground buss in the panel (which is also tied to a driven ground rod) and that's the ONLY place in the residence where the 2 (white neutral and bare or green grounding conductor) are tied together.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Another positive reason for the Ubiquiti wireless layer 2 transparent bridge.......no metallic Ethernet cable between the 2 points that could be hit by ESD from nearby lightning strikes, not to mention direct hits.

Sure, fiber-optic would be great but you'd need to protect it from shovels, tree roots and rodents, etc. so the expense and time of trenching and laying conduit would have to be figured in.

MakoMillenium

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
ePOE makes sense for an existing IP system but..........for someone just wanting a camera at a distant gate HDCVI is so easy, cost effective and the fact that it can all run off a simple 12 volt supply and battery backup is an important consideration if power outages are a factor.