Is it possible to connect a driveway beam alarm to a NVR via I/O's

Aidan_2024

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

I would like to try and integrate a driveway beam alarm with an IP camera and NVR to create a bit of a security system in my yard to see what cars enter my property.

I have bought the driveway beam alarm in the following link:
1B-60 Wireless Driveway Beam Alarm | Ultra Secure Direct |

It consists of two beam alarms either side of the driveway into my house and a receiver that is plugged in inside my house that rings when the beams get interrupted. The receiver has time adjustable N/O or N/C Relay outputs.

I would like to buy an IP camera to monitor my yard, and a NVR to continuously record the footage to a HDD.

I would like the system to operate something like this:
  • Vehicle enters my driveway, beam alarm gets interrupted and receiver rings.
  • A PC monitor/TV which is connected to the NVR via HDMI powers on/wakes from sleep when the beam alarm receiver rings.
  • PC monitor/TV turns off/goes back to sleep after 1 minute
  • NVR is still continuously recording the footage to the HDD while all of this happens

I don't want the PC monitor/TV to be left on needlessly so that's why I only want it to power on when a car has been detected by the driveway alarm. I also don't want to have to use a remote every time to do this.

I think through the use of a Raspberry Pi or Arduino I could probably achieve my goal (With a lot of work), but I was wondering if anyone knows of an NVR with I/O connections that can be connected to the driveway alarm receiver to achieve what I described? Such a thing may not exist or be possible but before I undertake anything I wanted to make sure there wasn't an easy way around it as I am not experienced with Cameras and NVR's.

Also would appreciate suggestions for an IP camera that is minimum 4MP and good value for money. Doesn't need to be fancy or rotate as it will be mounted facing in a fixed direction. Only really needs to be clear enough to read registration plates from about 10 m away.

Thanks

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The receiver has time adjustable N/O or N/C Relay outputs.
Yes you can use this with your NVR or a camera with an alarm input.

Connect the two terminals of your alarm input to COM & NO of your beam alarm.
The NVR/camera's alarm input triggers when the two connections are connected. Usually it's labelled as G (ground) and 1 or 2.

If you want the NVR/camera to react if the wires between the beam alarm receiver and NVR/cam breaks, you could wire the COM and NC of the beam alarm. Then set the state as normally closed on the NVR/camera.

I would like the system to operate something like this:
  • Vehicle enters my driveway, beam alarm gets interrupted and receiver rings.
  • A PC monitor/TV which is connected to the NVR via HDMI powers on/wakes from sleep when the beam alarm receiver rings.
  • PC monitor/TV turns off/goes back to sleep after 1 minute
  • NVR is still continuously recording the footage to the HDD while all of this happens
I don't know how you would easily make a monitor wake from sleep. That's a scenario for more advanced VMS software to send power on/off commands via the HDMI cable.
Most NVRs allow making a camera 'tour' in full screen when an alarm input is triggered for a minute.

Aidan_2024

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes you can use this with your NVR or a camera with an alarm input.

Connect the two terminals of your alarm input to COM & NO of your beam alarm.
The NVR/camera's alarm input triggers when the two connections are connected. Usually it's labelled as G (ground) and 1 or 2.

If you want the NVR/camera to react if the wires between the beam alarm receiver and NVR/cam breaks, you could wire the COM and NC of the beam alarm. Then set the state as normally closed on the NVR/camera.

I don't know how you would easily make a monitor wake from sleep. That's a scenario for more advanced VMS software to send power on/off commands via the HDMI cable.
Most NVRs allow making a camera 'tour' in full screen when an alarm input is triggered for a minute.
Thanks for the quick reply and the information. The main thing I want to achieve is the turning on/off of the monitor when the driveway alarm gets tripped. I don't really care if the driveway alarm actually get wired to the NVR or not as it seems to me like the NVR won't be able to have any influence on the powering on and off habits of the monitor.

I think I will end up going down the route of relay modules, voltage converters etc connected between the driveway alarm receiver and the power cable to the monitor which will power on/off the monitor when the receiver sounds.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I think I will end up going down the route of relay modules, voltage converters etc connected between the driveway alarm receiver and the power cable to the monitor which will power on/off the monitor when the receiver sounds.
A device called a 'power switch tail' (available in the USA) is basically an extension cord with a relay in the middle.
I've used a 'Trickle star' (brand) PC Saver (model) which is also a relay in the middle of an extension cord, but this Trickle Star PC saver would need an extra 5v power supply wired in.

and do not wire 220v directly to an NVR like this guy!!!! Terrible advice and it has 84,000 views!!
1712711540445.png

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I’d think you’ll have to go the monitor route, unless you find an ancient tv that you won’t miss whatever tripped alarm while the TVs os boots.

Valiant

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Sounds like a cool project, I had similar ideas but never committed time to it. Take a look at this, might be useful.

I've started playing with node red, with the above info might be achievable.