IPC-T5442T-ZE IPC-T5442TM-AS IPC-T5842T-ZE SMD 3.0 Smart IR Latest New Firmware From EmpireTech

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
To answer the "default" question, I always save the config as screen grabs then default it three times BEFORE applying the firmware update. After the update I again default it three times before re-configuring it. Why three times? It's just an arbitrary habit based on if one is good, two is better so three should be a little insurance. I've never had a problem with update done this way. As with everything YMMV.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I tend to export my settings, then default, then upgrade, then default then look around and decide if I can import else another default before finally doing an import!

Then after I've imported, I check the settings, then perform another restart and recheck. The reason for doing this is to ensure that with the firmware change that nothing enabled gets disabled and vice versa. There were firmwares of another model where on restart motion detection and another few settings would be enabled on restart which would cause havoc as I tend to use ONVIF which would trigger the cam with each and every motion detected.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
To answer the "default" question, I always save the config as screen grabs then default it three times BEFORE applying the firmware update. After the update I again default it three times before re-configuring it. Why three times? It's just an arbitrary habit based on if one is good, two is better so three should be a little insurance. I've never had a problem with update done this way. As with everything YMMV.
YMMV I had to look that up, have not heard that in a long time :)

So you manually config/reconfig from the screen grabs? I have had problems with other devices with saved configs not working on new firmwares. If there are not a lot of settings I do screen grabs too. Also, I could use another CAM with same or similar settings to copy off of. I do this with Drum Brakes, take both wheels off but do them one at a time to make sure I get the springs assembled right.

Thanks, I will Default the CAM four times before applying the firmware :)

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
My reason for the screen grabs versus and config export/import is precisely that, a potential incompatibility with the new firmware. Configuring it semi-manually preserves the "clean slate" from the upgrade and defaults. If you're constantly upgrading firmware I can see where it would get to be a PITA, but realistically how often do we upgrade firmware?

d5775927

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have a few (~5% or even less) false positive human detection with 5542 ZE, example:
1661608954091.png
wondering if updating to the latest version will fix/reduce false positives.
Current version:
1661609264523.png

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Looked at the recordings last night for the cam I updated with this latest firmware and so far no complaints.

Not changed any settings and the night time video looks good and when compared to the previous December firmware I had looks ever so slightly brighter as I can see slightly more detail at the far edges of the picture.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Looked at the recordings last night for the cam I updated with this latest firmware and so far no complaints.

Not changed any settings and the night time video looks good and when compared to the previous December firmware I had looks ever so slightly brighter as I can see slightly more detail at the far edges of the picture.
Glad you like the changes @IAmATeaf.

jrbeddow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Has anyone been living dangerously and done this (current/newest) firmware update without also doing the default then restore of settings (either from the settings file or by manually setting up based on screenshots)?. I know the reset back to defaults is highly recommended, just wondering if it is truly needed this time.

amdpowered

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I haven't reset and updated 8 cameras. One did act strange as the night/day detection isn't work automatically. I've set a schedule in the mean time to work around it. One other camera started to get more stuttering than usual. A reboot seems to have fixed that.

I intend to reset, but haven't had time.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Has anyone been living dangerously and done this (current/newest) firmware update without also doing the default then restore of settings (either from the settings file or by manually setting up based on screenshots)?. I know the reset back to defaults is highly recommended, just wondering if it is truly needed this time.
In my testing I had 3 units (out of 6) that acted strange (and were sticky with regards to some settings) hence would highly recommend the reset to default actions I mentioned just to be sure.