IPC-T5442T-ZE IPC-T5442TM-AS IPC-T5842T-ZE SMD 3.0 Smart IR Latest New Firmware From EmpireTech

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My thought is, when new features are being added/changed in these newer firmwares, loading an older config may push the wrong perimeters to a setting and cause an error. Just my thought here.

danieln

n3wb
Reaction score
I upgraded all 5 of mine without resetting to default, all seems well....
did the same with 7 of mine also, no reset/nothing, just upgrade.

A Note though - As I upgrade through the NVR's web browser, opening the camera tab from within the NVR, I sometimes had to close, and reopen the web browser, as it appeared the camera wouldnt go into update mode. it would just get stuck on "transfering firmware" part. I would just close the browser window, and reconnect to NVR then subsequent camera. If you have developer tools open, you would see that there is a "pending" item, which eventually times out, however it appears the camera web gui doesnt know how to handle this and provide any form of notification as such.
One quick way to see if the firmware update is progressing, is to monitor the camera's video feed (in smartpss for example), within a minute of hitting the firmware update, the feed (and obviously time) should freeze.
I also monitor the task manager/network adaptor. With mine there was an approx 5mbps upload whilst it was transfering for approx 2-5 minutes (depending on camera / firmware size), once that upload finishes, the webgui says flashing firmware and the progress line will go upto 100%, then reboot.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I guess one thing with Resetting, it makes me revisit all my settings as well as makes me see what is new. I don't have that many Cameras so it was not a big deal for me.

Shout out to all you Anti-Resetters out there!!! :headbang:LOL

Haha, in my search to see if there is such a thing as an Anti-Resetter I found this ;):

1662028287426.png

RUMBLESTRIP

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Anyone know where to find older firmwares for the 5442t-ze? All I have found are dead Dropbox links.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Attachments

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
All of you updating without setting the cam back to defaults, the cam may seem like it's working, until it doesn't.
In all the cams I've reviewed the past 5-6 years, most of them had firmware updates applied while I was reviewing them.
I always set the camera back to factory defaults, then updated the firmware, then set the cam back to factory defaults once again.
I NEVER import saved settings, I always set them up from scratch.
I've never had a problem following this procedure.
All it takes is one bricked camera from an update, and you'll learn your lesson. :cool:
Do you really want to risk bricking a $200 or more camera?

Last edited:

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
All of you updating without setting the cam back to defaults, the cam may seem like it's working, until it doesn't.
In all the cams I've reviewed the past 5-6 years, most of them had firmware updates applied while I was reviewing them.
I always set the camera back to factory defaults, then updated the firmware, then set the cam back to factory defaults once again.
I NEVER import saved settings, I always set them up from scratch.
I've never had a problem following this procedure.
All it takes is one bricked camera from an update, and you'll learn your lesson. :cool:
Do you really want to risk bricking a $200 or more camera?
If it dies, it dies

fe529-dl04.jpg

jrbeddow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
And it died... That's what I get for trying to sound cool.

Oof talk about karma

View attachment 138853
View attachment 138854
Ok, I am confused: previously you said that you had upgraded the firmware without resetting (presumably successfully, as there was no mention of any issues). Now we get a somewhat cryptic post of "It died" with unexplained photos of the cable. Please elaborate.

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ok, I am confused: previously you said that you had upgraded the firmware without resetting (presumably successfully, as there was no mention of any issues). Now we get a somewhat cryptic post of "It died" with unexplained photos of the cable. Please elaborate.
Sorry, didn't mean to be intentionally vague. This is not related to updating firmware. I was still working on cleaning up my install and adding wall plates on the interior of my garage wall. I was trying to pull the cable more towards the exterior wall and I pulled way too hard. Totally my fault but kind of ironic bc of my earlier post.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry, didn't mean to be intentionally vague. This is not related to updating firmware. I was still working on cleaning up my install and adding wall plates on the interior of my garage wall. I was trying to pull the cable more towards the exterior wall and I pulled way too hard. Totally my fault but kind of ironic bc of my earlier post.
What kind of cable is that? Is that from the Camera? Red Black colors are not in standard Ethernet cable...

or

1662215171636.png

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanx...was concerned my RJ45 connector was going to blow up if I didn't reset my cam before the firmware upgrade. :idk:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, from the camera. The other side of the cale with the built in female RJ45 Jack had the wires come out, so would need to figure out the pinout to attempt a repair.
Found this...maybe I am wrong but looks like you will abandon your Blue and Brown cable according to their video. Data on Ethernet only requires 2 pair, POE 1 pair.

So looks like normal Ethernet Data pinout. For POE, you would put Red on pin 5 and black on pin 7. Do the same for both ends and then a coupler to connect them.

1662218387952.png

Last edited: