IPC-HDW5231R-Z and QNAP TS221

Nick T

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
But you can use inside camera Ivs for push notifications to idmss and record with pixel detection through QNap. This is what I use in similar setups, Ivs is great for less false positive events, but has a disadvantage in continuous recording when an object is inside the detection area. This combination works great for me.
And you are right, it's not possible to record to sdcard and NAS.
That's a good point re using IVS and motion detection. Perhaps my setup has a few advantages.

TVT73

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I forgot to say, the same is possible using Ivs and motion detection inside cam, when recording to a NFS storage (NAS).
Then you can decide if you would get push for Ivs or motion detection. I can't compare the motion detection to the QNap ones, but the data motion detection is not bad compared to my old non Dahua Cam's wich are nothing against it.
I also think, a NVR is normally more powerful. Par example the new 4.x Gen is able to use smart h256+ codec and build his own Ivs system. On every other ones I tested in the past, using of the bandwidth saver smart codec will also shut off Ivs.
And I like the smart codec, you need less hard disk space and also less upload so without activity you will get a stream for 1080p h256+ 4Mbit vbr6 with only 12kBit.
This saves many Harddisk space.

Nick T

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I haven't researched the smart codec. I have it turned off on all my cameras at present. What does it do exactly?

TVT73

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It reduced the traffic up to 10 times compared to the same picture with normal vbr codec. Dahua has a good explanation of it.
Smart H.265+, an enhanced version of the standard H.265 codec
It scales much more down on still pictures or pictures with less moving objects. The best effect will be with h265 vbr 5 or 6.
Of cause at heavy changings it needs the same bitrate which is defined.
For my LTE flatware it's a pleasure, it gives me very less traffic with maximum picture quality although I use 4mp with maximum bitrate.
But it need more CPU power, therefore IVS is disabled.

Nick T

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So does it only work with H265? I am limited to H264 due to my NAS.

TVT73

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
No also with h264. But I don't know what QNap does with the codec. Just try it. P.e. tinyipcam monitor can handle it, but it loses under some circumstances the stream picture.