IPC-HDW5231R-Z and QNAP TS221

davw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looking for some help in setting this up.
Using QNAP Surveillance station but it does not automatically recognise camera. Any tips to make it recognise it?
When I try and enter in camera details to setup it just sticks on connecting status.
Is there something I need to activate on camera settings to allow qnap to see camera.
thank you

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Its been a while since I connected my 5231 to my Qnap TS-451, but i think i had to skip the auto detection and input the credentials manually and that worked for me.

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don't recall.
I'd check but i deleted surveillance station from my NAS when i got my Dahua NVR.
You might have some luck on the qnap forums.

memaybe

n3wb
Reaction score
Using QNAP Surveillance station but it does not automatically recognise camera. Any tips to make it recognise it?
When I try and enter in camera details to setup it just sticks on connecting status.
Is there something I need to activate on camera settings to allow qnap to see camera.
thank you
On my 253a just used internal IP, HTTP port. The camera shows under DAHUA though I do have the orange question mark when setup it still works, no zoom feature on this though.

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just put the ip address of the camera... Keep the 554 rtsp but I'm not sure... You might not need the 80 port. Maybe try leaving that blank if it does not work right away. Leave the WAN spaces blank and i think it should work. Obviously make sure your username and password for the specific camera are correct

TVT73

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Do you have different type of cams? Or why do you want to use the build in solution of qnapp? You will use many good recording and ivs stuff. The cam can use any nas as video storage, that would be my choice. GDMSS or IDMSS can also handle playback from nas.

davw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I currently only have one camera. Thought the qnap surveillance station app was the best way.
Will try and set up camera to record to nas.
thanks - any tips?

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Qnap is ok if you only have 2 cameras (or however many free licenses thy give you depending on your model) but once you have to start buying licenses for extra cams... A dedicated nvr solution becomes real attractive real quick.

But IVS wont work with qnap. So you're losing that feature.

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You don't necessarily need to tell the camera to connect to the nas (from the web gui) Just input the camera credentials into that nas screen you attached and it will handle the recording

TVT73

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@DavidDavid you mean he will lose IVS, when he records with the survivalstation. If he uses the nas as a nfs storage for the cam, the cam do all the cam is able to do. It's the same for the cam like recording to the sdcard, only playback from webinterface would not work. But smartpss and all apps are able to do that.
In my opinion, for a 1-2 camera setup I would recommend using MicroSD inside the cam. Buying a nas only for one cam makes no sense. It's more difficult to set up and expensiver. Then you can better buy an nvr.

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hmm if thats correct thats cool....and my bad. I didn't really mess around with the surveillance station much. I basically just had it recording 24/7. While i played with camera positions and waited for my NVR.

If you only have 2 cameras, its tempting, but also remember that anytime your nas is down, so is your surveillance system.

davw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i have seen mention of recording on drive and SD card but it doesnt look like you could set that

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You set that from the web gui. Although I've never done that, I've just seen the page for it.

TVT73

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
In webgui:
Storage/Nas activate all yes
Path depends on Nas, /export/nameofshare

You need to enable NFS, mapping root to NFS share as admin or minimum with full read write access, because your cam is using root.
After activation, check the cam log, you should find a NAS entry, where you can see if write is ok.

Therefore every NAS is a bit different, you need too look around for the right settings. Especially the path name is sometimes a bit difficult. I have no QNap, so I can only generally speak, but I did several customer setups with synology NAS which should behave similar.

Nick T

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
thank you
A couple of things:

First, during setup my SS will not show a preview, even though it is setup correctly. So make sure to click all the way through and see if you actually get an image on QVR Client.
Second, for cameras that aren't available in the dropdown, QNAP suggested that I choose ONVIF as the camera brand and then select ProfileS as the camera model. ProfileS is the most compatible type for none supported cameras.

I also set up a new camera that is not supported (IPC-HDW4231EMP-AS) using the wrong model number in the SS setup, and it worked perfectly, and actually gave me a preview, whereas my IPC-HDW5231R-Z are supported, but don't generate a preview. Go figure.

Nick T

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You set that from the web gui. Although I've never done that, I've just seen the page for it.
I don't think you can. I noticed that you cannot mix and match local (i.e., SD card) and NAS. Not sure why that's a limitation, but it does seem to be. For now, I have my cameras setup to record local to an SD card and my NAS also records through Surveillance Station. This way I have fallback / redundancy in the system.

PS - I'm not blown away by Surveillance Station and I do miss the ability to use IVS since motion detection has so many false positives. I may one day get a Dahua NVR and set it to backup to the NAS so I maintain redundancy.

PSS - Annoyingly, I do actually find the VMobile app for QNAP to be better than iDMSS. For whatever reason iDMSS reports entirely too many motion events. It does not seem to heed the threshold settings in the camera's setup.

TVT73

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
But you can use inside camera Ivs for push notifications to idmss and record with pixel detection through QNap. This is what I use in similar setups, Ivs is great for less false positive events, but has a disadvantage in continuous recording when an object is inside the detection area. This combination works great for me.
And you are right, it's not possible to record to sdcard and NAS.