IPC-HDBW4300E Firmware SSL bug?

julez

n3wb
Reaction score
I've been looking where to download firmware updates for the Dahua IPC-HDBW4300E camera.
I'm currently using 2.420.0004.0.R, build : 2014-11-03 that came with it, but I've noticed a bug with the camera when enabling SSL.

When using SSL to attach to the web interface of the camera the interface is exceptionally slow to just load the login page. After attempting to log in, it more or less times out.
Port 80 is still completely valid as well, so there's nothing preventing me from using an encrypted stream if I didn't want to (not sure if this is the norm or not with this camera).

I use Synology Surveillance Station as my NVR today and have been looking at Blue Iris, but I need to pick up a new rackmount system with a decent encoding processor prior to going that route.
But if I attempt to connect to 443 using Surveillance station, it never authenticates either. I was hoping that a firmware update would resolve the issue. If nothing else it would keep my OCD at bay :)

I believe I have the NTSC version since I have that as an option. Everything is in english on my current firmware, minus the help, which is fine I really don't need the help section.

Any help would be appreciated!

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
SSL does not encrypt your video stream, thats still unencrypted.. enabling https offers almost no benifit, and since the hardware does not have crypto acceleration its likely just going to slow it waaaay the fuck down.

The Video Streams are on RTSP, and its not SSL RTSP.. so all your doing is enabling the WebUI to be https, for what? Crypto is unesssicary on a local network between two local devices.

julez

n3wb
Reaction score
Gotcha, that makes perfect sense, I appreciate the help nayr.
Enabling SSL definitely doesn't offer any benefit on these since it doesn't even seem to function, period.

I don't think I'm really seeing any other issues than that. I thought I had read somewhere that one of the firmware releases available enabled some WDR features on this model. If that's the case I'd still be interested in finding an update. If not then I think it's solid and wouldn't worry about it otherwise unless someone knows of anything new.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I dont think so, Ive got a 4300 series Dahua and its already quite capable of overloading its hardware when I crank the settings all the way up.. I doubt you could squeeze any more features out of it.

the new 4MP dahuas I have they upgraded the processors on em significantly, I can run em at full quality with all the features enabled and it does not seem to slow them down at all... they come with a better WDR, and more features overall because the faster hardware allows it.

julez

n3wb
Reaction score
That's good to know I was looking at the new 4MP Dahuas as well as the new Hikvision 4MP fixed lens option also (not sure if variable focus is worth it or not). I won't record much over 1080p at this point due to capacity constraints, so the extra resolution isn't a huge deal to me. I think I'd like to move to something with the SD slot in case of connection stability.

I did see your thread on the PTZ Dahua camera though you had picked up for $200. That'd be pretty awesome also, but I know that one isn't really water resistant.