Hurricane Ian

Don't Look Up

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looks like those here who don't believe in Science, seem to be following Science really closely now. Not hearing much from the Climate Change Deniers either, now that a Cat 4-5 Hurricane is bearing down on them. Like the old mule who requires a 2x4 whack on the head to to gets its attention. Do we have your attention now???

TRLcam

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Looks like those here who don't believe in Science, seem to be following Science really closely now. Not hearing much from the Climate Change Deniers either, now that a Cat 4-5 Hurricane is bearing down on them. Like the old mule who requires a 2x4 whack on the head to to gets its attention. Do we have your attention now???
There have been stronger storms in the last few hundred years. What was the excuse then?

TRLcam

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes, but a lot fewer of them....speaking of a span of a hundred years, we were warned then of the effects of dumping Carbon into the atmosphere.
The climate has been changing since earth was a baby. To deny it is to deny the ice age. To think that we can stop it is based on speculation by some scientists. The same scientists that have been wrong so many times before. Is wrong.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, but a lot fewer of them....speaking of a span of a hundred years, we were warned then of the effects of dumping Carbon into the atmosphere.

Key Points
  • Since 1878, about six to seven hurricanes have formed in the North Atlantic every year. Roughly two per year make landfall in the United States. The total number of hurricanes (particularly after being adjusted for improvements in observation methods) and the number reaching the United States do not indicate a clear overall trend since 1878 (see Figure 1).
  • According to the total annual ACE Index, cyclone intensity has risen noticeably over the past 20 years, and eight of the 10 most active years since 1950 have occurred since the mid-1990s (see Figure 2). Relatively high levels of cyclone activity were also seen during the 1950s and 1960s.
  • The PDI (see Figure 3) shows fluctuating cyclone intensity for most of the mid- to late 20th century, followed by a noticeable increase since 1995 (similar to the ACE Index). These trends are shown with associated variations in sea surface temperature in the tropical North Atlantic for comparison (see Figure 3).
  • Despite the apparent increases in tropical cyclone activity in recent years, shown in Figures 2 and 3, changes in observation methods over time make it difficult to know whether tropical storm activity has actually shown an increase over time.3

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Nothing new under the sun in Hurricanes. A good perspective here-----> Fifty years of predictions If you want to see the future, study the past. These people who make these failed predictions are never called on the carpet for it either. Remember the Term "peak Oil"
when was the last time we heard that. ??

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I guess noah was using lots of fossil fuels. As others have stated there have been stronger storms for thousands of years. Global warming is a financial scam - hence carbon credits and trillion dollar renewable market that destroys low income families. Their own poor models show that there is literally nothing that can be done to stop it. Just like the fear of global cooling, mother nature will resolve itself.

Gargoile

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Also please explain how on Earth ( pun intended) what I do here on Earth will have any effect on making the moon stop pulling away from the Earth. The Moon controls the tides and this, in effect impacts weather patterns. It even has an impact on how far the Earth tilts on it's axis. So for me recycling plastic, rising my thermostat and driving an EV will change the Moon's mind and reverse course?

And don't even get me started about the magnetic poles moving and it's effects on climate and the Earth.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
All that oil and natural gas in parts of the world that are nothing but sand or frozen ground. Not a tree or vegetation to be found. Yet, the oil and gas is the result of millions of years...time, heat and pressure to cook organic material that was present there at one time to create these fossil fuels So, did man cause all these once lush areas to become desert or frozen? Millions of years from now, deserts will again become lush rain forests and current lush areas will become desert. Not a damn thing that man can do to stop it. Hurricanes are "weather" not "climate change". After this hurricane passes it will be typical weather....hot and moist as it's always been for a thousand years.

Last edited:

ncpilot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just starting to get some heavier rain and outer feeder bands in central FL. Conditions will get uglier as the day goes on. First the tornados, lots of rain, later towards dinner we’ll start seeing “ Holy Shit” winds throughout the night and tomorrow...
Are those winds higher or lower than when I look out window and see the "f*ck me" winds?? It's the worst when they hit in darkness...

All the best!

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
No one ever talks about another advantage of IP Cams. When you are all shuttered up in your home, it is great to have IP Cams surrounding your house. The IP cams are the Window outside while enjoying the "Cave Life". This is where having UI3 streaming to your 40" TV monitors throughout the house comes in handy.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Are those winds higher or lower than when I look out window and see the "f*ck me" winds?? It's the worst when they hit in darkness...

All the best!
Yeah lower. Holy Shit winds take out trees, roofs, and anything not tied down

Fuck Me winds are a whole ‘nother level, just a tad lower than Kiss Your Ass Goodbye winds.

I need to create a chart

Last edited:

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Welp, I'm in Atlanta for the storm...just happen to be here helping the parental units. Girlfriend is at my house in metro Orlando. Guess I'll monitor remotely to see if her and Toto get a free trip to Oz :idk: If any cows blow by I hope the cams catch it. Last I spoke with her, she seemed rather annoyed about my weather report for Atlanta is sunny and 70 degrees today. :idk:

DavidW

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
in 2004 there were 3 hurricanes that hit the same spot in Florida. Almost 20 years later imagine what you would say if that happened today.