How to add camera to BI that is not in the drop down list

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Often folks buy unbranded cameras or cams that are not popular and therefore not on the blue iris drop down list. If you wish to use these cameras with blue iris here is a great video I found showing how to find the rtsp stream using onvif device manager-a free tool, and how to properly enter it into blue iris.
ONVIF Device Manager
Blue iris now also offers a find/inspect function for onvif cameras. Enter the ip address and correct credentials and if the camera is onvif it should find it.
You can also find a list of url's for many cameras here. Connecting iSpy to IP Cameras
You can still use the video to learn how to properly enter the urls from ispy's site into blue iris.
Finally, some mobile apps like ipcamviewer by Robert Chou or tiny cam (android only) have a scanner that will identify the camera and will often list 3-4 compatible cameras, one of which my be on the blue iris list.
If none of these work contact the developer at www.blueirissoftware.com
Note there are errors in the video...blue iris obviously supports more than 720p..

Last edited:

Sparky1996

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm thinking this is beyond me....
I downloaded the ONVIF Program, I can't get it to do anything, I know my camera's IP, this program isn't locating it either, yet the Zmodo program does, and I can access it direct using the IP address from Internet Explorer... Not sure what I am doing wrong, I have never used the program before. Is it jus set up for NVR's, I just have one IP Camera, WIFI to my router, and am accessing direct from my computer.

You mentioned to steer clear of Zmodo, I a beginning to see that after about6 hours... this is my first attempt, I guess I picked the wrong camera.... What would you recommend? I only bought one to try, so now would be good me to g it right

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm thinking this is beyond me....
I downloaded the ONVIF Program, I can't get it to do anything, I know my camera's IP, this program isn't locating it either, yet the Zmodo program does, and I can access it direct using the IP address from Internet Explorer... Not sure what I am doing wrong, I have never used the program before. Is it jus set up for NVR's, I just have one IP Camera, WIFI to my router, and am accessing direct from my computer.

You mentioned to steer clear of Zmodo, I a beginning to see that after about6 hours... this is my first attempt, I guess I picked the wrong camera.... What would you recommend? I only bought one to try, so now would be good me to g it right
It should work with any onvif compatible camera...
Look at hikvision or dahua cameras, lots of threads discussing them.
The zmodo will work with blue iris...if you want to do a teamviewer session I can set it up for you.

HardRom

n3wb
Reaction score
It should work with any onvif compatible camera...
Look at hikvision or dahua cameras, lots of threads discussing them.
The zmodo will work with blue iris...if you want to do a teamviewer session I can set it up for you.
Two days of trying to set up a DX-SIN8 with 6/8 cameras hooked up. I have tried both BI and iSpy *bought a licence for BI though, so would really like the cams to work. Can figure out all the minutae myself, just need the flippin cams to be seen by BI.

If you're still offering that TV help- can I sneak in on it? PM me if so, please.
Defaults all around - HTTP 80 (visible), 8000 Video Port, 9000 Mobile (works on my tablet and phone with IP Cam Viewer.

If someone else can come up with something otherwise, feel free to chime in. I've tried all the Zmodo/QSpy/Generic possibilities I can think of.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Two days of trying to set up a DX-SIN8 with 6/8 cameras hooked up. I have tried both BI and iSpy *bought a licence for BI though, so would really like the cams to work. Can figure out all the minutae myself, just need the flippin cams to be seen by BI.

If you're still offering that TV help- can I sneak in on it? PM me if so, please.
Defaults all around - HTTP 80 (visible), 8000 Video Port, 9000 Mobile (works on my tablet and phone with IP Cam Viewer.

If someone else can come up with something otherwise, feel free to chime in. I've tried all the Zmodo/QSpy/Generic possibilities I can think of.
Send me a pm with your info.

HardRom

n3wb
Reaction score
Still no go. Tried changing ports with fenderman as well as a buttload of other settings. Waiting on a reply email from the BI team. Will update as I get info.

edit: BI support says to try ZMODO for firmware update as it seems the rtsp stream is inaccessible on this firmware. Will update as I get a reply from zmodo.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

HardRom

n3wb
Reaction score

If anyone's curious or just thinks I'm being picky... this is what I see on port 9000.

That would be fine except cam 1 never comes into a reasonable picture and all of them regardless of settings jump a lot. I'll get ghosting and then POOF! here's a person. Then gone, next frame.

I really hope I get an option.

It seems (from my quick scanning!!!!) that the rtsp on these was disabled because of a security vulnerability and you actually have to request the firmware without the lockout...? I could be wrong and welcome other ideas. I know port 23 is open on this box, is there maybe something I could do in root to change it?

Attachments

HardRom

n3wb
Reaction score
Is there a cheap DVR that will work with the cameras I've already run through my house, yard and garage?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Is there a cheap DVR that will work with the cameras I've already run through my house, yard and garage?
Yes, this is a rebranded hikvision TVI dvr..it supports analog cameras, TVI - hd over coax, and up to 2 ip cameras.
http://www.amazon.com/LTD8308T-FT-Surveillance-Security-Dual-stream-Support/dp/B00O80UMVA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1445472672&sr=8-1&keywords=LTD8308T-FT
Nellys also has this CVI DVR. http://www.nellyssecurity.com/recorders/hd-cvi/8-channel/dahua-hcvr4108hs-s2-8-channel-hdcvi-tribrid-dvr.html
or http://www.nellyssecurity.com/recorders/hd-cvi/8-channel/eyesurv-esdv-omega-lite-8-8-channel-1080p-high-definition-hdcvi-tribrid-dvr.html
The second has a longer warranty and will allow 1080p

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

djangel

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It seems (from my quick scanning!!!!) that the rtsp on these was disabled because of a security vulnerability and you actually have to request the firmware without the lockout...? I could be wrong and welcome other ideas. I know port 23 is open on this box, is there maybe something I could do in root to change it?
Not too long ago I was also trying to help a forum user with a Zmodo camera and BI, and after not being able to get anywhere, he contacted Zmodo support for help. This is what they told him:

"He thanks for the hel last night, I called zmodo today and found out what is going on. Apparently all thee new camera's do NOT support onvif, they have removed support for it with the latest firmware, an the one I purchased specifically never had support. That is why the program will not pick it up. They no longer support any third party software."

If possible, maybe downgrading to the last firmware with Onvif support will fix the problem.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

HardRom

n3wb
Reaction score
Not going well at all adding it to BI - the store lied on their version, is only selling the 6 cam version (LHV826).

Edit: Scratch that. Got it by setting it as a LHV1000. Odd though, since I thought I did that already and had it fail. Maybe a bad password previously. Thanks all! Time to tweak.

MistaBeak

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I spent hours pulling my hair out trying to load a new cam (NVT) into BI. Using CMS that came with the cam makes it even harder. Finally came to the forum to search for clues and like magic, boom there is the answer. Thanks for this video. The Onvif Device Manager is the cats a**.

fundean

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey Fenderman! Thank you for trying to help out... I am having trouble using the DM to find my PI3 cams running motioneye... Any suggestions??

Reaction score
Nice video. If the camera is not ONVIF but uses a standard media stream for the live video you still may get BI to work with it. If it has a web page it serves up the live video or software that the manufacturer supplies with the camera you might get it to work by sniffing the url of the stream for your parameters in BI. My procedure is:
1. Start URL Snooper (free download)
2. Open the web page of the camera or the software that came with the camera and view the live video.
3. Note the url of the stream in URL Snooper, you can right click and select copy.
4. Test the stream url with VLC Media Player (free download). You could skip this.
5. Input this stream in BI under either Generic and select the type of stream or the type under 'Address' and put in the parameters.
Hope this helps. Other useful tools are Advanced IP Scanner for when you lost the documentation and don't know the IP of the camera, you may have to try different subnets, and Advanced Port Scanner when you know the IP but don't know which ports are being used. Both are free downloads.

jjsmd

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi:

I am trying to get my camera DWC-BVI2IR from digital watchdog to work in BI, but I have tried all the tips in this forum and still no success.

I can view it in VLC and URL snooper finds the following rtsp://192.168.1.163:10554/rtsp/unicast/DefaultProfile-01
but for the life of me I cannot get it working in BI.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

dee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Often folks buy unbranded cameras or cams that are not popular and therefore not on the blue iris drop down list. If you wish to use these cameras with blue iris here is a great video I found showing how to find the rtsp stream using onvif device manager-a free tool, and how to properly enter it into blue iris.
ONVIF Device Manager
Blue iris now also offers a find/inspect function for onvif cameras. Enter the ip address and correct credentials and if the camera is onvif it should find it.
You can also find a list of url's for many cameras here. Connecting iSpy to IP Cameras
You can still use the video to learn how to properly enter the urls from ispy's site into blue iris.
Finally, some mobile apps like ipcamviewer by Robert Chou have a scanner that will identify the camera and will often list 3-4 compatible cameras, one of which my be on the blue iris list.
If none of these work contact the developer at www.
blueirissoftware.com

Note there are errors in the video...blue iris obviously supports more than 720p..

Hi fenderman,

I just received a [URL='http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/cNZ8L2xq"]ONVIF Device Manager[/URL] does seem to work at all. Any suggestions?