How many days of video do you keep for a home system?

How many days of video do you keep?

• Total voters

scoob8000

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Your sub stream can still be pretty high quality depending on your number of cameras and settings. eg I run 1080P @ 4,000kbs as a sub and 4k @ 16,000kbs as a main. Even the sub is pretty good quality video and with todays compression, it doesn't take a huge amount of space. With 2 cameras running the same settings continuos + triggered main, and a 4tb HD, I get over a month of recording.
I actually just started testing this out on a couple of my cams that don't see a whole lot of action. I wish I could go higher than 640x480 for the substream. It's a 4k cam, but that's my only sub option. I did bump up the bit rate of substream to hopefully get a better image should motion sensing miss something.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll answer this myself in a day or two, but I'm assuming the pre-trigger time still applies to this mode? Like if I have it set to 5s, I'll end up with 5s of main stream recorded before the trigger? (EDIT) After testing it's clear that the pre-trigger time will give you that much of main stream before the trigger event.

Last edited:

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
I actually just started testing this out on a couple of my cams that don't see a whole lot of action. I wish I could go higher than 640x480 for the substream. It's a 4k cam, but that's my only sub option. I did bump up the bit rate of substream to hopefully get a better image should motion sensing miss something.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll answer this myself in a day or two, but I'm assuming the pre-trigger time still applies to this mode? Like if I have it set to 5s, I'll end up with 5s of main stream recorded before the trigger?
What camera? Did you try the Substream 2 offerings?

scoob8000

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What camera? Did you try the Substream 2 offerings?
All of my 4k's are Annke c800's. I know not the best but half decent for the price. 640x480 and 640x360 are the only options for substream. I sent an email to support asking if they could possibly add a 720p or 1080p option in future firmware.

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
All of my 4k's are Annke c800's. I know not the best but half decent for the price. 640x480 and 640x360 are the only options for substream. I sent an email to support asking if they could possibly add a 720p or 1080p option in future firmware.
Same with my Amcrest IP2M-841W cameras. They have only a single substream, and it it offers on one resolution, 640x480(VGA)... I purchased them without noticing this BIG detail in the specs.

scoob8000

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Man I'm hijacking my own thread here. :)

What are folks recording continuous sub + triggered running for bit rates? On my 4k cams, h265 is the only option. I have CBR 8192 for the main, and CBR 1024 fot the substream. Not sure if there's much or any benefit going higher.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
8192-10240 on 4MP 5442’s and 16,384 on my 4Ks.
H.264 CBR on all

On the 4Ks bumping to 16384 from 8192 took out most of the pulsing I was seeing
Same.

However, I do have some of my indoor cams that record continuous mainstream using H265 to save space.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
8192-10240 on 4MP 5442’s and 16,384 on my 4Ks.
H.264 CBR on all

On the 4Ks bumping to 16384 from 8192 took out most of the pulsing I was seeing
Same, except I am running H.265 on most of my cameras. They are all either 4K or 4MP.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a pretty large HD (12tb) dedicated to BI recordings. Honestly I've never checked to see how long it is saving recordings until today. (Partly because it took a while before the drive was full when I replaced it originally). I have almost exactly 5 months of clips/recordings (16941 items). That's with about half my cameras recording substreams 24/7.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
5 months(!) is a lot even on 12tb. How many cams is that? As above, with my 14tb I only get ~2-3 weeks with 20+ cams at various MP/rates.

If you just looked quickly at the bottom of the list, check that you're not counting alert images vs video. Unless you change the retention settings not to, they'll stick a lot longer than the video. +5 months wouldn't be unusual for those.

scoob8000

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
5 months(!) is a lot even on 12tb. How many cams is that? As above, with my 14tb I only get ~2-3 weeks with 20+ cams at various MP/rates.

If you just looked quickly at the bottom of the list, check that you're not counting alert images vs video. Unless you change the retention settings not to, they'll stick a lot longer than the video. +5 months wouldn't be unusual for those.
Probably recording only the substream, and main when triggered which is a new strategy I'm playing with.

The thought is the sub is good enough for general surveillance but when the cam is triggered you get full 4k or whatever cam you are running

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, I do the same for some of mine. I guess not enough of them since I can only go back to 10/18. lol That does make a huge difference especially if not triggering a lot. But I run a lot of mine straight continuous more for wildlife so I don't expect it to be great.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
What about substream bitrate?
As above 4000Kbs. My aim is to run the substream at mainstream quality for a camera of 1080P so I have something that's very usable if the Mainstream fails to cpature it. It's all going to depend on the number of cameras you have, the size of your hardrive, your required retention and priorities. Being a home user with only a small number of cameras I have that luxury.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Most home users 2-3 weeks recording would be great, business place normally need 1-2 months, to they always need big NVR support 8HDD slot or 16HDD slot.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score

I remoted into BI using my cell phone while I was at work and checked to see how far back I could pull and watch footage. This is how I came up with the 5 month figure. The "count" is from the BI app under the "Storage" section. I have no idea what it is really counting however. I have 12 cameras with 5 recording substreams full time and full resolution on triggers. Most of the other cameras are recording on triggers, but I actually have a couple that aren't recording at all (monitoring a sump pump for example).

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@The Automation Guy Can you test if one of your 5 month old alert still playback the video correctly? Maybe you have the alert listed, but not the actual video.