How many days of video do you keep for a home system?

How many days of video do you keep?

• Total voters

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
@The Automation Guy Can you test if one of your 5 month old alert still playback the video correctly? Maybe you have the alert listed, but not the actual video.
That's exactly what I did. I made sure the video played through my BI app on my phone. I had watchable video back to early June. Prior to that there wasn't anything watchable.

Last edited:

quest100

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If a neighbor comes up to me and says "sometime around 2 weeks ago someone backed into my car, can you see if you caught it?" You will find that even with the best scrubbing this is a monumental task. Unless they can narrow down the day/time window, most of us are not going to scour it.
I had this exact thing happen to me last year. Twice. Same neighbor. Both times I was out of town.

First time someone put a big dent in his garage door. The neighbor gave me a two day range where he thought it occurred. Turned out it was one of his subs (he was finishing up a home remodel) let his truck roll into the garage door. Never told anyone.

View attachment 2022-08-23_11.00.00_.GB128_Trim.mp4

Second time the neighbor found a large dent in his Mercedes parked in the street. Again he had a two day window. This time it was an Amazon driver that backed into his car. Again never told anyone. When he got the repair estimate the insurance company totaled his car. He now has a brand new Tesla.

View attachment 2023-04-03_13.00.00_.COR135_Trimmed 2.mov

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I had this exact thing happen to me last year. Twice. Same neighbor. Both times I was out of town.

First time someone put a big dent in his garage door. The neighbor gave me a two day range where he thought it occurred. Turned out it was one of his subs (he was finishing up a home remodel) let his truck roll into the garage door. Never told anyone.

Second time the neighbor found a large dent in his Mercedes parked in the street. Again he had a two day window. This time it was an Amazon driver that backed into his car. Again never told anyone. When he got the repair estimate the insurance company totaled his car. He now has a brand new Tesla.
Fortunately for you those were incidents were you were also close enough where you could start the ole try this this date and time and then try one later and see if you see the dent in the car or garage door and then just bounce back and forth between two sets of times until you find it.

The difficult ones are the ones further away where maybe the damage isn't obvious at your distance. Or they ask about a particular car that came past.