HikVision Password Reset / Flash new FW via RS232

deanfourie

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a hik camera which im locked out of. I know with the new security stuff we are required to go through hik vision to get a new password.

Im about 100% sure its possible to open the device, and possible wire up a RS232 connection and reflash the FW via serial.

Is this possible or has anyone else tried or succeeded in doing this?

Would like to hear your thoughts.

Thanks

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
What's the firmware version? SADP will show this : Download | Tools - Hikvision

If the firmware is older than 5.4.41 it still has the Hikvision 'backdoor' and the password can be reset / changed using the updated version of the reset tool here : Hikvision camera admin password reset tool

And if it's been hacked and the password changed, you could inspect the password as follows : DS-CD2035-1 password changed, hacked or a fault?

reflash the FW via serial.
And it should be possible to reflash the same firmware using the Hikvision tftp updater tool, which will reset to defaults, if the firmware is valid.

deanfourie

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

If I understand, using TFTP to update the firmware requires you to login? Also I cannot find any firmware for my camera model which I will post shortly.

I guess my questions is, if the firmware is the new firmware and there is no backdoor, surely there is a Eprom or like I say, open the camera and reflash the fw via a TTL serial?

Thanks

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
using TFTP to update the firmware requires you to login?
No, login is not required for the Hikvision tftp updater.
I guess my questions is, if the firmware is the new firmware and there is no backdoor, surely there is a Eprom or like I say, open the camera and reflash the fw via a TTL serial?
Sure, but pretty easy to try the tftp updater first before taking it apart, if the firmware is new enough that the backdoor exploit is not available.

deanfourie

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

So, using tftp updater, is it possible to reset the password with the new firmware? Or will this reset the firmware or will the old EPROM settings be kept?

Basicly, is it possible to reset the password with any means necessary without having to bin the camera? Even if this means going down the RS232 track and openning the camera?

Thank you again.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Check the firmware version first on the (unspecified) camera - that may be the easiest method to reset the password, as per the link and suggestion stated.

Assuming this isn't a Chinese camera that a firmware install would brick - a tftp update of the same firmware will reset the camera to defaults, allowing access again from a lost password situation.

deanfourie

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok cool.

The camera model is DS-2CV2Q21FD-IW at which I cannot find any firmware for.

I have tried the FW update tool, but it appears there is no active web server running on this camera, wheather or no this is because it does not support web access or the original firmware is corrupted.

Access Error: 404 -- Not Found
Can't locate document: /

is what I get. Can anyone possibly point me in the right direction for firmware?

Thanks again!

deanfourie

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok heres an update. Just tried flashing the above firmware via TFTP, all seemed to go well and update appeared to complete without issue.

However, same issue with the web interface, and when opening SADP, The camera appears but trying to login with password 123456 or 12345 return the error

"device rejected"

Is this a deeper issue?

Thanks

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with that specific camera - but after a reset to defaults SADP would normally show the status as 'Inactive' requiring you to create a strong password of your own choice.
And the camera, according to other posts here, does not have a web GUI.

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
This is Hikvisions little ball it has no web service
If you search on this forum you will find out how to access and set up
Using iVMS then configuration on the camera

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
The password is
admin
admin(device code) the little sticker on the bottom
Add this in iVMS the you can change its password and ip and set up wifi if needed and full access to everything

deanfourie

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok thanks for all the replys.

Still no luck. Have done FW upgrade over TFTP, tried connecting in IVMS with the Verification Code, still says either incorrect username or password or device rejected.

Any other suggestions? Really dont want to bin it.

Thanks

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Flashing the FW via TFTP is not resetting the password for me
That's a pity. On the older ranges of cameras, this results in a reset to defaults.
From your experience, that doesn't seem to happen for your model.
*edit* What was the last message on the tftp updater window when doing the firmware update?