Hikvision NVR new firmware 3.2.1

Larcen

n3wb
Reaction score
It is almost the same as the regular TFTP with the exception that its manually forced from the console and no need to manually set IP addresses and connect the two directly via RJ-45.

CTRL+U to interrupt the boot process which gives you the option to update firmware by hitting U/u and enter. It then asks for the device IP, which I used its normal daily IP. Next it asks for the server i think it was that has the TFTP running with the file; i left the file as digicap.mav. Hit Y to confirm and then it initiates the TFTP and then proceeds to flash. Takes about 5-10 minutes and says complete. Hit enter and it reboots into Glory! Had all my configurations still, which was very nice.

Last edited by a moderator:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Excellent, thanks for sharing, that's useful to know for this model.

That's the same process as I've used quite a few times on a 7816N-E2 that I've experimented on, with the serial cable.
It's much more convenient than as you say, having to change the IP addresses for the usual TFTP process.
By the way - "connect the two directly via RJ-45" - this is usually troublesome with the TFTP method as the interface up / down timing can embarrass the PC ability to maintain an accessible 192.0.0.128 IP address. Much better with each device being connected to its own switch or router port.

Larcen

n3wb
Reaction score
Excellent, thanks for sharing, that's useful to know for this model.

That's the same process as I've used quite a few times on a 7816N-E2 that I've experimented on, with the serial cable.
It's much more convenient than as you say, having to change the IP addresses for the usual TFTP process.
By the way - "connect the two directly via RJ-45" - this is usually troublesome with the TFTP method as the interface up / down timing can embarrass the PC ability to maintain an accessible 192.0.0.128 IP address. Much better with each device being connected to its own switch or router port.
That may be the reason I could never get it to work that way. I interpreted / read it to be directly connected and feared the connection would not stay up properly for this to happen. I didn't have a dumb switch, that wasn't being used, to try it that way or that would have been my next step. Thank you for your help in this matter.

Larcen

n3wb
Reaction score
I just wish I knew why it flashed fine but wiped out the accounts; or rather just wasn't reading them. The 3.2.1 firmware looked like it was going to be pretty nice and I really liked the new web interface from what I saw in the screenshots. I hate this older web interface that require's an add-on that I can only seem to get working reliably on IE.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I didn't have a dumb switch, that wasn't being used
You can just leave the NVR and PC wired (best not WiFi) to the usual network to use the TFTP recovery. The changed PC IP address doesn't require it to be on separated wiring. You just need to watch that you don't reboot other Hikvision devices on the same network while the PC is offering the TFTP access!
I too like the 3.2.1 look and feel - a good style update, plus a few extra features. The 'magnifier tool' on playback might be handy sometime. And the smart events are more easily configurable.
It's a bit odd the way the update failed - maybe a bug. They have released the 3.3.1 further updated firmware, though I've not looked at it yet.

I'd like to think that Hikvision are working on an updated webcomponents plugin that conforms to the Chrome requirements and also works OK on IE.

Yauzer

n3wb
Reaction score
Greetings!!! Peeked my interest. Where can I find more information on telnet access to Hikvision 7608?

gpower07

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I got it taken care of with a serial cable. Flashed 3.1.4 and everything is good now.
I have a 7608. I was stupidly updated to 3.3.2. how to connect it with the serial cable? I don't see the rs232 port in the back. and I knew need to open the box. but can you show me how to wire it? thank you

Squish

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello thread.

I have:
DS-7804N-E1 / 4P
Firmware: V3.0.8 build 140825
Encoding: V5.0 build 140816

I'm reading through here, looking for a n00b's guide to updating the firmware. I have hiktools, but I can't be sure if my NVR is location hacked, or has a hiktools style "Thinks it's Chinese, but is English" firmware on it. The seller does offer firmware updates, but I don't know if that's going to pan out really. It would be nice if there was a reliable way to determine this without simply trusting the seller's word on it (if I even get a reply).

I am technically competent, but I am deficient in Linux experience, and very time poor so I don't have as much time as I'd like to devote to experimenting. It looks reasonably straight-forward if you know that your cameras/IP cameras are/are not hacked language etc.

Also,
Is there a way to access the camera's own internal configuration(/web GUI) from the LAN, when they are attached to an NVR? I haven't figured out how to do this, and detaching them from the NVR for direct access is a real pest, since they are POE powered and the NVR is the only source of POE I have at the moment.

Just found the sticky :facepalm:

Oleglevsha

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What you do not like this firmware version? Buying Chinese NVR is much cheaper than the European model you lost the opportunity to receive updates.
Now it's your responsibility.
NVR update the following versions of compliance checks matching language cameras.
Better leave him alone!!!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Actually quite good advice from @Oleglevsha, if you are not Linux-savvy and don't have a lot of time to spend puzzling over things. And the newer firmware changes things.
But if you do decide to try - some advice from my post #79 in this thread:
What I strongly suggest if you think about upgrading is to back up your existing firmware so you have a way back should you wish.
All you need is a copy of mtdblock2 in the as-delivered state. But copy mtdblock0 and 1 also.
The easiest way is if you can add a NAS destination via the GUI. It does not need to be formatted.
Something like this for an NFS mount.
Use 'mount' to find the mount point, then something like:
cd /mnt/tnfs01
umount /dev/mtdblock2
cat /dev/mtdblock2 > mtdblock2_orig
mount /dev/mtdblock2 /home/hik

You could also use TFTP, something like
TFTP -p -l mtdblock2_orig <IP address of TFTP server>

And the same for mtdblock0 & 1, though these don't need unmounted.
Then you can either at a later date 'cat' the mtdblock2_orig' back where it came from, or you can create new firmware using @wzhick really useful tool Hiktools to get a digicap.dav that the web GUI and TFTP recovery is happy with.
Also - make a backup copy of the NVR configuration, and the camera settings, via the maintenance menu, with the filename including the associated firmware version. You can't restore configurations across firmware versions.
That way - you can put the whole thing back exactly how it was before the firmware update if you ever need to do so.
And to answer your question about region code - if you can get to a telnet prompt, check what language= shows with these:
getHardInfo (this is the running value which may have been masqueraded)

cat /proc/hkvs/bootpara
byte 0x2E010 in mtdblock0 (this is the definitive value)

1=English/ML, 2=Chinese

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It makes me laugh about buying Chinese, we are all buying Chinese, what you mean is Chinese region restricted, it's a shame that the people who claim they have found a way to change the region won't share the information or even help overs to work out how to do it for themselves.

carpii

n3wb
Reaction score
Hikvision NVR DS-7608NI-E2/8P PoE it arrived with firmware 3.2.1 installed.

Seller sent me a message not long ago, mentioning that he had similar problems with a unit same as mine with the 3.2.1 firmware as I did and tried to find a solution. He told me he ignored the Wizard and went straight to the desktop of the NVR and than plugged a camera in and set the setting to Plug and Play and after a while the camera worked
I too have bought a DS-7608NI-E2/8P (from a professional installer), and it came preinstalled with Firmware 3.2.1.
No problems with using the NVR's PoE ports here though

I'm really confused though, because I can spend ages trawling the various HikVision download sites and cannot find any English 3.2.1 Firmware available for download.

Does this mean the installer has just stuck a Chinese firmware on it, and then performed some hack to get it back into English language?

Thanks

carpii

n3wb
Reaction score
It makes me laugh about buying Chinese, we are all buying Chinese, what you mean is Chinese region restricted, it's a shame that the people who claim they have found a way to change the region won't share the information or even help overs to work out how to do it for themselves.
There's a few people over at cctv forum who have documented the whole process. Its a little technical though, so not everyone should be encouraged to have a crack at it

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=44991

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Killswitch

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi guys, long time reader, first time poster. :)

I have the DS-7616NI-SE / P running an older firmware version. I am looking to update it due to the security improvements and better functionality. I have done a lot of reading so far including this thread, but just confusing myself more.

My NVR is from Aliexpress, so I presume Chinese. Would this be the correct firmware before I go ahead and update?
http://www.hikvisioneurope.com/portal/index.php?dir=Product Firmware/Recorder/DS-76&77&86&85&95&96-ST -SP -XT-RT/V3.2.1 build 150310 Multi-lingual/

Also, should I update via HIKTOOLS or the web GUI? Which is method is most stable, and keeps the English setting enabled?

Appreciate the help. :)

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
For info - Hiktools doesn't do firmware updates, it just allows you to manipulate the firmware.
Firmware updates are via the web GUI, or the Hikvision-specific TFTP updater.

But what I would strongly suggest before you attempt to change anything, is to give yourself a way to get back to where you started.
With a 7816N-E2 this is easy enough done by taking a copy of mtdblock2 (which holds the entire firmware) and also mtdblock0 and 1, and a copy of the export of the device configuration. There are various posts here on how that can be done.
But your slightly older 7616 may have quite a different flash layout, so could require a different approach.
If you have telnet access, use 'cat /proc/mtd' and 'mount' to provide some info.

Killswitch

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Alastairstevenson. Appreciate your help. GUI or TFTP it is.

As requested:
# cat /proc/mtd
dev: size erasesize name
mtd0: 00020000 00010000 "sys_param"
mtd1: 00fa0000 00010000 "File System"

# mount
/dev/root on / type minix (rw,relatime)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,relatime)
none on /sys type sysfs (rw,relatime)
ramfs on /home/app type ramfs (rw,relatime)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,relatime)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,relatime,mode=600,ptmxmode=000)
/dev/mtdblock1 on /home/hik type jffs2 (rw,relatime)

Plus a little more info :)

# getHardInfo
Start at 2015-06-28 21:33:22
Serial NO :1620140411BBRR459821501WCVU
V2.3.7 build 131112
KernelVersion: V1.0.0 build 130703
dspSoftVersion: V1.0 build 130719
codecVersion: V1.0 build 100520
hardwareVersion = 0x400
encodeChans = 0
decodeChans = 16
alarmInNums = 0
alarmOutNums = 0
ataCtrlNums = 0
flashsize = 0x10
ramSize = 0x400
networksNums = 1
language = 1
devType:DS-7616NI-SE/P
bootPartition = 2

I will try and make a backup of current state.

Can you point me in the direction of the most stable current firmware for it?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Well that flash layout and file system type is different from what I've seen on a 7816N-E2, on which I've used 7616NI firmware. So I'm not able to speak from direct experience of your specific model.
What I'd suggest is grabbing a copy of the listed mtdblocks as a current state backup.
An easy way to do this - if you have a handy network share - is to use the 'storage menu' (I'm assuming this older firmware has one) to define a NAS destination. It doesn't need to be formatted.
If you can do this, the path will show with the mount command. Lets says it's /mnt/nfs00
So:
cd /mnt/nfs00
umount /dev/mtdblock1
cat /dev/mtdblock1 > mtdblock1_save
mount /dev/mtdblock1 /home/hik
cat /dev/mtdblock0 > mtdblock0_save

Hopefully the re-mount won't give an error.

This Hik download site has a rich choice of firmware which appears to be for your model.
http://www.hikvisioneurope.com/portal/index.php?dir=Product Firmware/Recorder/DS-7600NI-SE 7600NI-V(VP)/
So far, I've not seen any stability or reliability issues of any consequence with the NVR firmware I've tried.
But they have been different from yours.
On the 7816N, the firmware is just a simple cramfs image (with a header) which is copied straight on to mtdblock2.
Looking at the 3.0.15 version from the site above, it looks like it just holds the 17 files as below:
File 0 webs.tar.gz filelen=48 filepos=812 checksum=5811
File 1 app.tar.gz filelen=216 filepos=860 checksum=26213
File 2 hicore.tar.gz filelen=696 filepos=1076 checksum=89135
File 3 ntfs-3g filelen=16 filepos=1772 checksum=2049
File 4 vps_logo.bin filelen=16 filepos=1788 checksum=1867
File 5 log.tar.gz filelen=16 filepos=1804 checksum=1995
File 6 player.bin filelen=16 filepos=1820 checksum=1995
File 7 hicore.tar.lzma filelen=4549864 filepos=1836 checksum=580198167
File 8 8107.tar.lzma filelen=800984 filepos=4551700 checksum=102113057
File 9 versionctr.tar.lzma filelen=659568 filepos=5352684 checksum=84015264
File 10 app.tar.lzma filelen=1662312 filepos=6012252 checksum=211858922
File 11 dvrCmd.tar.gz filelen=12432 filepos=7674564 checksum=1596911
File 12 uImage filelen=1952200 filepos=7686996 checksum=248780104
File 13 rootfs.img filelen=509408 filepos=9639196 checksum=65049899
File 14 webs.tar.lzma filelen=3622536 filepos=10148604 checksum=461883850
File 15 start.sh filelen=2048 filepos=13771140 checksum=268495
File 16 new_10.bin filelen=1320 filepos=13773188 checksum=184118
If you can compare that file list with the running contents of your /home/hik and there is a good match, it may be that a copy of mtdblock1 would be an effective backup of the as-is state of your NVR firmware.
You might also want to take a peek with a Hex editor (eg HxD) at the 'hardware descriptor block' in mtdblock0 (starts with the Hik magic number of SWKH) to see if your language=1 is real, or the product of seller-modified firmware.
The byte is likely to be that at 0x10 relative to the start of SWKH in the hardware descriptor block.

But - here is a warning - sensible advice would be 'if it's not broke, don't fix it'.
You will no doubt have read loads of posts here in this forum of Hikvision owners doing what should be a natural and reasonably safe firmware update, to get bugfixes, security fixes, new functionality etc - but suffering adverse consequences. There is definite risk with attempting firmware updates. I haven't done it to my 'production' NVR, just the one I bought to play with. Though I have done it on cameras, where a bad result even if only temporary has less of a consequence.

PS I don't think your firmware link is correct for your model. The suffixes are confusing and significant. Maybe others with your model can comment.

carpii

n3wb
Reaction score
If you can do this, the path will show with the mount command. Lets says it's /mnt/nfs00
So:
cd /mnt/nfs00
umount /dev/mtdblock1
etc
Could you help me understand how you are running these commands on your NVR?

Do you just telnet/ssh into the NVR and have access to linux, or must you use some serial connection?
I can telnet into mine but still cannot bypass the Busybox thing on my NVR, so commands like cat are not even available.
Its driving me crazy as I really want to dig around the NVR's filesystem

Maybe this crippled Busybox thing is new to 3.2.1 firmware?

Thanks