Hikvision have Starlight equivalent?

CJ555

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello 1st (well almost 1st) post here. And I may be on question 12 of 23423100 questions I have?!!

But I am doing some research and based on the tech and install support, I'm pretty sure I will be buying from Nelly's. I have read I can get cheaper and I know most questions can be answered on this forum. But even after all my researching lately I still feel it would be nice to have that lifetime tech support and give you guys a break from me and all my ignorance! LOL Although I am pretty sure I will be asking a lot here as well!

Anyway,...it seems as I may have a need (may have possible spots) for turret cams as opposed to going all bullets as originally planned. And although I don't know which Starlight model I'd need,...they seem to be HIGHLY regarded here.
But obviously my problem is Nelly's no longer sells Dahua,....so I was wondering if Hikvision makes a comparable camera? -- Preferably one that Nelly's sells.

If not,...would purchasing 85% of my system from Nelly's,...but buying 2-3 Starlights elsewhere "cancel out" my tech support with Nelly's?!! That's what I am afraid of as I am a COMPLETE novice and would really appreciate that phone support.

Also,...I would like to run cat6 or cat6e but they only carry cat5. I know for my needs cat5 5 would probably be fine,...but since it's "old tech" I figure I might as well run 6 or 6e.
Could you recommend places to purchase from and what to look/ask for?
I have used Monoprice before when I hooked my TV up,..but didn'tknow ifthere were better options.
I do remember reading Solid Brass/Bronze/Plenium (sorry I forget which one!) was recommended,...but could you verify. Anything else I should ask for,...unshielded, shielded, stranded, or solid etc???
Also,..I will be trying to run all wires through walls (no conduit),...but may have some runs running behind my vinyl siding. So should I definitely go with "outdoor rated",....or maybe even Direct burial for extra insurance? Or do you guys just use standard cat5/6/6e etc and hope for the best?!! (I am pretty sure I can hide most wire even if not put directly into the house at the cam,...so not too much would be exposed to sunlight and weather, rain, snow. -- But ya never know!

Have a zillion more questions but lets start here for now!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome CJ555,

For your zillions of questions:

It's easy to get swamped with information here, so I wanted to share some notes with you

Please check out @giomania 's notes:
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

I have also made notes which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!

Have fun joining us here.

PS - look at Cat5e or Cat6 solid copper wires from Monoprice

From my notes at another site:

Cat 5e / Cat 6 ethernet cable:
DO NOT buy CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum) wire - it is a fire hazard
  • Recommended that you buy buik cat5e/cat6 cable and not use the cable which comes in the kit, as if you need to return it you will have to also return the cables.
  • Recommended vendor for bulk Cat 5e / Cat 6 cable is monoprice, they often have sales during the weekend.
  • Either Cat 5e or Cat 6 cable will work with these cameras. Normally Cat6 cable is a bit thicker due to the plastic separator in the cable. Also Cat 6 cable often has wires slightly thicker than what you see in Cat 5e cables. While a thicker copper wire means less voltage loss over the run, it may not be significant for most of us. Note the spec for ethernet and PoE is 100M / 328 feet.
  • If you are pulling multiple wires through 1/2" EMT pipes or other tight spots it maybe better to use cat 5e.
  • If you are only buying one bulk box of cable you may want to get cat6 in case you would like to wire up other locations.
  • There are numerous types of Cat 5e / Cat 6 cable, you want to get Solid unshielded cable, either for in-wall installation or plenum rated cable ( better for multistory buildings and business type buildings ).
  • If you plan to have the cables exposed to direct UV get a UV rated cable, or place the cable in conduit. Otherwise the cable will degrade over time.
  • Also get RJ45 ends which are rated for solid wires, as well as a crimping tool.
  • Remember to cut the cable longer than you think you will need, and leave some extra length in case you need to adjust the location a bit.
  • Recommend pulling N+1 or more cables to each location, where N = number of cameras you plan to have. This way if you decide to add an additional PoE or ethernet device nearby you can in the future.
  • If your attic is too short to easily work in recommending using Grey PVC pipe 3/4"+ and pushing the sections to the locations you want to run the cat5e/cat6 cabling to.
  • Have a friend help you pull the cabling so you can reduce snags and knots which may cause breakages. Also remember not to pull the cable with too much force as it is more delicate than electrical cables that you may be used to pulling.
  • You can use the pull tools which electricians use to help with the wiring pulls.
  • Unshielded vs shielded cable - typically you can avoid using shielded cable, just try to keep the cable 1 foot or more from electrical lines, florescent lights, and electrical motors. If you must pass by something which produces EMF / electrical interference you can use a section of EMT pipe in that location to pass the cat5e/cat6 cable through.
  • Thieves have been known to cut telcom cables to houses as well as cat5e/cat6 to cameras - if you feel the need to protect your cables do consider putting them in conduit or run the lines inside the wall. ( Metal EMT works well in most cases, in humid environments you may want to consider less strong non-metal conduit. )
  • I like using the 568-B standard: http://www.incentre.net/wp-conten...le568b.gif If the link is not working please see the attached gif at the bottom of the wiki
  • Here's what looks like a good write up on crimping the ends: https://www.warehousecables.com/l...-cable.php

CJ555

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks again mat200! You sent me those links in a different post and I have looked at them and bookmarked them,....and of course they had other interesting links I ended up bookmarking! (Soooo much reading to do). And I will use Mono price if I decide to go with cat6 since Nelly's does not stock it.

And I did look at that Dahua Starlight post and really wish Nelly's stocked Dahua products still. But since they don't I will probably use a few of the new Hikvision "low light" turrets that Nelly's sells. Seems like a better idea to keep all camera and NVR brands the same anyway although I do understand having a system with different camera brands and NVR's "can be done".

Any opinions on the Hikvision "low light" turrets,...and are they at least somewhat comparable to the Starlights?
Does Nelly's sell the models that would be considered recommended. (I believe they do not sell the entire Hikvision lineup,... and want to be sure the ones they do sell are good)

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks again mat200! You sent me those links in a different post and I have looked at them and bookmarked them,....and of course they had other interesting links I ended up bookmarking! (Soooo much reading to do). And I will use Mono price if I decide to go with cat6 since Nelly's does not stock it.

And I did look at that Dahua Starlight post and really wish Nelly's stocked Dahua products still. But since they don't I will probably use a few of the new Hikvision "low light" turrets that Nelly's sells. Seems like a better idea to keep all camera and NVR brands the same anyway although I do understand having a system with different camera brands and NVR's "can be done".

Any opinions on the Hikvision "low light" turrets,...and are they at least somewhat comparable to the Starlights?
Does Nelly's sell the models that would be considered recommended. (I believe they do not sell the entire Hikvision lineup,... and want to be sure the ones they do sell are good)
Hi CJ555,

When I needed to purchase security cameras for night time threat issues here Dahua had recently come out with their Starlight series, and Hikvision had not. Thus I spent my time learning more about Dahua, and thus do not know Hikvision products as well. Definitely check out the Hikvision section here and see what others have been sharing with their experiences of the various Hikvision models.

I have heard good things about Nelly's, so they seem like a good choice.

CJ555

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I definitely will. Thanks again.

RBW

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Be great if you could write a review on the Hik Low Light cameras. :)

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score

Hikvision low light turrets are not even close to a start light.
they have made a new ultra low light recently.
I need to buy one but there $$$$$$ more than a dauha and test ,that’s my next project.
A hik ultra low light vs a dauha starlight.

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score

DS-2CD2025FWD-I

2 MP Ultra-Low Light Network Bullet Camera

DS-2CD2125FWD-I(S)

2 MP Ultra-Low Light Network Dome Camera

DS-2CD2325FWD-I

2 MP Ultra-Low Light Network Turret Camera

DS-2CD212PFWD-I

DS-2CD212RFWD-I

DS-2CD202PFWD-I

DS-2CD202RFWD-I

DS-2CD2T25FWD-I5/I8

DS-2CD2H25FWD-IZS

2 MP WDR Vari-focal Network Turret Camera
Notice there all 2mp too

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Is the DS-2CD2H35FWD-IZS considered a starlight since it's not in the title? It has the 1/2.5 sensor but could it be a different technology? Also, what's the difference in light sensitivity between 2mp 1/2.8 sensor and a 3mp 1/2.5 sensor.

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
Don’t chase high mp cameras as your system won’t be able to use them all at once.
Look at the incoming band width of the nvr and keep below it.
In your camera selection.pointless getting cameras that exeeed this when you have to throttle them back in resolution.eg an 8 mp 4 k camera at 1080p so the nvr can handle the incoming streams for all channels.
Don’t get caught in the hype of higher mps is better

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
Is the DS-2CD2H35FWD-IZS considered a starlight since it's not in the title? It has the 1/2.5 sensor but could it be a different technology?
Its there version of ultra low light
Think dauha use a Sony sensor.
That’s why I need to buy one of each of them and bench test in the real world.

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Sorry I meant "ultra low light" not "starlight" for the Hikvision. The product page they all appear on say "ultra low light" for every model except the varifocal. Just confusing.

I'm really upset the Hikvision varifocal is so much more expensive than the Dahua :(

CJ555

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well I am getting close to purchase/install, but I honestly have NO right giving an opinion or review on IP cam stuff!!! But I will gladly take some pics and post them as I will probably want opinions and tips on focusing and settings etc.
With their tech support via phone I am sold on Nelly's so I will most likely have Hikvison products and hope some Ultra Low Light models so you guys can look at.
(I will probably even have to ask how to take the screen shot of the video,...I am THAT clueless!!!)

Off topic but has anyone used Backstreet Surveilance ? I read somewhere else they were more expensive than Nelly"s but they seem to use Dahua and offer the same support. -- But not sure if they even sell Starlights.

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Do you want support for your cameras CJ555? Most of the time it's cheaper to get the cameras on ebay amazon or ali instead of through a reseller. You pay a premium to get them through a retailer like Nelly's because of their warranty and customer support if you have issues.

CJ555

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah being a total novice it seems like a better idea giving Nelly's the business so I can call them when I need help and can't wait for answers on here! I "may" be Ok going it alone and saving a few bucks,...but knowing my understanding of cams, NVR's, networking, settings, etc etc., I feel much better having someone I can call and run me through step by step if needed!
I am still doing some (A LOT) of researching,...but this seems like a good decision for me. The good reviews of them on this site definitely helped with that decision! I just hope they carry the Hikvision products I want/need as I'm aware they don't carry the complete line. But I assume what they do have will do the job I need,...even if I'd prefer a different camera then what they offer. If it was up to me I'd hire a pro and be done with it but I'm pretty sure I was looking at $5k+ for a 16 ch / 6-8 (for now) camera setup and that is waaaay out of my budget!

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don't think Nelly's carries the ultra-low light cameras from Hikvision :(

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah being a total novice it seems like a better idea giving Nelly's the business so I can call them when I need help and can't wait for answers on here! I "may" be Ok going it alone and saving a few bucks,...but knowing my understanding of cams, NVR's, networking, settings, etc etc., I feel much better having someone I can call and run me through step by step if needed!
I am still doing some (A LOT) of researching,...but this seems like a good decision for me. The good reviews of them on this site definitely helped with that decision! I just hope they carry the Hikvision products I want/need as I'm aware they don't carry the complete line. But I assume what they do have will do the job I need,...even if I'd prefer a different camera then what they offer. If it was up to me I'd hire a pro and be done with it but I'm pretty sure I was looking at $5k+ for a 16 ch / 6-8 (for now) camera setup and that is waaaay out of my budget!
once you get it set up then you can mess around and learn,then you will be your own master of knowledge and look back an say wow its not all that hard
i once knew stuff all,but have learnt enough as not to drown myself and always learning new stuff.
and its good fun to learn new skills.

CJ555

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't think Nelly's carries the ultra-low light cameras from Hikvision :(
OUCH!

once you get it set up then you can mess around and learn,then you will be your own master of knowledge and look back an say wow its not all that hard
i once knew stuff all,but have learnt enough as not to drown myself and always learning new stuff.
and its good fun to learn new skills.
That definitely makes sense, but I just don't know if I have the talent to ever figure this stuff out! I'm only 46 but my computer skills are like an 80 year old! LOL
I'm sure with enough time it will come to me,...but I am terrified of going this alone!
That being said it seems the Ultra Low Lights are good cameras and I'd probably prefer them over the standard Hikvision turrets,..but I assume anything Hikvision/Nelly's sells would satisfy my needs?!! But obviously I would like to have the best tech that's out there. So many dang decisions to make I am feeling more overwhelmed every day. :confused: :nervous:
I need to find someone local who know what their doing and have them come over and pay them for their time!! :D
Anyone close to Philly burbs want to make a few extra bucks for the holidays?!! ;) I may be clueless but I can be a good laborer and do all the "hard work"!:winktongue: