Hikvision FIRMWARE TOOLS - change language, extract files and create own firmware

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
So my plan is to extract a digicap.dav from one of my cameras
There is no such file in the camera.
The digicap.dav file is a container that the update program in the camera opens up and distributes the contents around the storage areas of the camera.

Some questions to clarify the problem :
I tried using TFTP to flash a new firmware but it did not work
What error if any resulted?
Or did it simply not show 'system update completed'?
Where did you source the firmware? (link)

it still showed in SADP
What does it show for status?
What Is the IP address, is it different from what it used to be, and is it still valid for your network?

I read somewhere people who had to flash the original firmware on the camera.
So maybe what's needed is to get a copy of the same version of firmware that was on it before the attempted update.

I cannot access it from the browser.
What happens when you try accessing it?

DaveB007

n3wb
Reaction score
There is no such file in the camera.
The digicap.dav file is a container that the update program in the camera opens up and distributes the contents around the storage areas of the camera.

Some questions to clarify the problem :

What error if any resulted?
Or did it simply not show 'system update completed'?
Where did you source the firmware? (link)

What does it show for status?
What Is the IP address, is it different from what it used to be, and is it still valid for your network?

So maybe what's needed is to get a copy of the same version of firmware that was on it before the attempted update.

What happens when you try accessing it?

Yes TFTP did not show the last line system update completed stops at Completed file transmit.
I go the firmware from here.

That status of the camera shows as active. The IP address was changed to 192.168.1.64. After the firmware it was simply not showing in SADP. After reset it it showed on SADP.

Do you know where I can get an old firmware from? I cannot find it on Hikvision website that's why I was thinking to extract it from another camera.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
OK - the link shows G0 firmware version 5.5.88
What leads you to believe that's for your IPC-D140 HiWatch camera?

After reset it it showed on SADP.
With a status of what after the reset?
And showing what version of firmware?

Do you know where I can get an old firmware from?
The problem would be that the 'downgrade block' that Hikvision implemented would now reject any older firmware than the 5.5.88 that's been applied.

DaveB007

n3wb
Reaction score

The problem would be that the 'downgrade block' that Hikvision implemented would now reject any older firmware than the 5.5.88 that's been applied.

Status is Active and is showing version V4.0.8 build 150325 so I don't think it got the 5.5.88 firmware

DaveB007

n3wb
Reaction score

I think that is the correct firmware because of a file I found on HiWatch files in this link E-Portal. And from several forums posts especially this one: Firmware Help

1590356251110.png

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
That firmware version 4.0.8 is an indication that it's running in the 'min-system recovery mode'. This is a minimum system with no web services that's entered when there is a serious problem stopping it booting fully, such as incompatible firmware.
Could this be a Chinese camera?
Do the others have the letters CCCH in the serial number?

DaveB007

n3wb
Reaction score
That firmware version 4.0.8 is an indication that it's running in the 'min-system recovery mode'. This is a minimum system with no web services that's entered when there is a serious problem stopping it booting fully, such as incompatible firmware.
Could this be a Chinese camera?
Do the others have the letters CCCH in the serial number?
No serial number only contains numbers does not have CCH. Any idea as to why TFTP is not completing the process? I am think of incompatible firmware but those where the only firmwares I found on Hivision portal

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes i double checked both SADP and under the camera. IPC-D14020170928BBWR10250XXXX removed last four numbers
That's good, not CCCH, so probably not Chinese.
That is a common cause of 'bricked' cameras, EN/ML firmware on Chinese cameras.

Despite the HiWatch table you quoted as correctly showing the IPC-D140 model number - I suspect the wrong firmware has been applied to the camera.
And the 'downgrade block' does limit the recovery options somewhat.

As a bit of a long shot - and nothing to lose really - maybe try the 5.5.82 R6 firmware from here with the tftp updater :

I had an IPC-T140 off eBay a while back - it turns out it used the R6 firmware.

DaveB007

n3wb
Reaction score
That's good, not CCCH, so probably not Chinese.
That is a common cause of 'bricked' cameras, EN/ML firmware on Chinese cameras.

Despite the HiWatch table you quoted as correctly showing the IPC-D140 model number - I suspect the wrong firmware has been applied to the camera.
And the 'downgrade block' does limit the recovery options somewhat.

As a bit of a long shot - and nothing to lose really - maybe try the 5.5.82 R6 firmware from here with the tftp updater :

I had an IPC-T140 off eBay a while back - it turns out it used the R6 firmware.
You are AMAZING. thanks for all your help. TFTP finally worked I am waiting for camera to show up on SADP as I type this message. I really appreciate your help. How can I buy you a coffee?

DaveB007

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes confirmed that it worked even in SADP I finally see it as inactive and I can access the camera via the webpage. You are the best. It's already hard to identify the correct firmware I tried following the hints I got from the IPC platform pdf so that i flash an incorrecto firmware but that document was totally misguided. My last resort was to try all the firmwares and see if anyone would work but before doing that I wanted to check we someone who has more experience.

Truly grateful for your assistance

tcam

n3wb
Reaction score
need some help, happy to donate $.

I have a OEM(I assume it needs NEU firmware) DS-2DF7286-AEL which i just bricked by trying to update with
It's in a reboot loop of spending 30 seconds at 192.0.0.64 then 5 seconds at the configured IP, then reboots. I can't seem to get the TFTP-Server to work on windows 10. Telnet into 192.0.0.64 or the configured IP during active ping doesn't work? Thoughts?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a OEM(I assume it needs NEU firmware) DS-2DF7286-AEL which i just bricked by trying to update
If it's an OEM model it's possible that the stock firmware will not work.
But some stock firmware here :

and here :

I can't seem to get the TFTP-Server to work on windows 10.
Both camera and PC wired to a switch / router ?
Camera powered externally, not ePoE?
Windows firewall temporarily disabled?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I can't seem to get the TFTP-Server to work on windows 10.
In what way?
The listening IP address not 192.0.0.128 ?
The camera not connecting to the updater?
The firmware file not transmitting?
The 'system update successful' result not appearing?

Reaction score
There are scripts to unpack/decrypt and encrypt/repack firmware (digicap.dav) for Hikvision IP Video Intercom and IP Door Bells devices (see attached).

To run scripts: Linux (tested on Ubuntu), Python3 and cryptodome python library are needed.
You are a genius. This worked for me beautifully.

Reaction score
need some help
I have bricked my ipcam. i have already tried with tfpt,
but it never shows
"Device [192.0.0.64] system update completed!"
ds-2cd2t22wd-i5