Hikvision ColorVu + 4K (DS-2CD2087G2-L)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
^ I would think in the states and our size plates, that unless you are right on top of the road, it would have difficulty because you need some zoom.

But you have already got LPR figured out with a great setup?

rahhazar

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
^ I would think in the states and our size plates, that unless you are right on top of the road, it would have difficulty because you need some zoom.

But you have already got LPR figured out with a great setup?
yes I do, looking to get multiple camera on a drone for a new project. one overview and one lpr to zoom in.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Oh - you are always into pushing what isn't out there yet! That is how the next big idea comes along!

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi Brad that's great news and might be of help to others if you said which Authorised dealer this is.

wrcvr4

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm looking for this camera in 6mm, but cannot seem to find one
Andy doesn't look to have any of them anymore :(

k110

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I ordered 4x 4mm (in stock) and 2x 6mm in backorder, looks like the 6mm is not available :confused: PS: I ordered the 'big brother' 2t87 as it needs to cover a big area so more powerful LED's come in handy. I'm happy with my 2x 2t87 4mm but still waiting on a firmware update that will let you link the LED's to motion detection.

wrcvr4

n3wb
Reaction score
I ordered 4x 4mm (in stock) and 2x 6mm in backorder, looks like the 6mm is not available :confused: PS: I ordered the 'big brother' 2t87 as it needs to cover a big area so more powerful LED's come in handy. I'm happy with my 2x 2t87 4mm but still waiting on a firmware update that will let you link the LED's to motion detection.
Care sharing where from ?

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
That's cheating, but I am surprised as I am not seeing noticeable motion blur on that :)
I can see some blur around the heads. Personally, if it were my camera I'd like to go higher. However, I'm also seeing some noise creeping in when the people reach the neighbours house to the left. I suspect even at 1/50th the camera is starting to have to gain up. I'm guessing this is where the LEDS would help, although the previously mentioned firmware that enables the LED's on movement detection would be preferable unless you want an increased electricity bill, LED's that wear out quicker and a camera that's permanently acting as flood light. Gain can be controlled at the expense of brightness in any event.

Overall, still the best camera we've seen apart from maybe the 4mp version of the same camera which is obviosuly going to have superior low light performance given the pixels should be twice as big.

I'd die to get my hands on 3 of these.

Last edited:

k110

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Overall, still the best camera we've seen apart from maybe the 4mp version of the same camera which is obviosuly going to have superior low light performance given the pixels should be twice as big.
Hmm I'm not sure about that, was thinking the same thing, will the 4MP version of this G2 ColorVu produce even brighter picture then this 4k 8MP one? When the sensor size is the same, yes, but I just had a look at the specs on their website:

DS-2CD2087G2-L(U)
4 K ColorVu Fixed Bullet Network Camera
DS-2CD2047G2-L(U)
4 MP ColorVu Fixed Bullet Network Camera
Image sensor1/1.2″ Progressive Scan CMOS1/1.8" Progressive Scan CMOS
Minimum illumination0.0005 Lux @ (F1.0, AGC ON), 0 Lux with Light0.0005 Lux @ (F1.0, AGC ON), 0 Lux with Light

So.... the 8MP has a much larger sensor then the 4MP version, resulting in the same amount of minimum illumination and thus the same low light performance?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
So.... the 8MP has a much larger sensor then the 4MP version, resulting in the same amount of minimum illumination and thus the same low light performance?
Pretty well the same low-light performance.
Check out the comparison with the (G1) ColorVu here :

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Hmm I'm not sure about that, was thinking the same thing, will the 4MP version of this G2 ColorVu produce even brighter picture then this 4k 8MP one? When the sensor size is the same, yes, but I just had a look at the specs on their website:

DS-2CD2087G2-L(U)
4 K ColorVu Fixed Bullet Network Camera
DS-2CD2047G2-L(U)
4 MP ColorVu Fixed Bullet Network Camera
Image sensor1/1.2″ Progressive Scan CMOS1/1.8" Progressive Scan CMOS
Minimum illumination0.0005 Lux @ (F1.0, AGC ON), 0 Lux with Light0.0005 Lux @ (F1.0, AGC ON), 0 Lux with Light
I could have sworn there was a 4mp 1/1.2". If not, Alastair is right, performance will be around the same as 1/1.8 is approx 1/2 the area of 1/1.2.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I could have sworn there was a 4mp 1/1.2". If not, Alastair is right, performance will be around the same as 1/1.8 is approx 1/2 the area of 1/1.2.
The light should be about the same, however you have around twice the number of pixels per square inch so the picture should be sharper with the 8MP version.

I am waiting on the specifications for the new Dahua 8MP PTZ that is coming out with the 1/1.2" sensor. I am in the market for an 8MP PTZ for the back of my house. However I think it will be hard to beat the one already on the market.

The Dahua DH-SD8A820WA-HNF with these specifications for the lighting. Color: 0.0005Lux@F1.6; B/W: 0.00005Lux@F1.6; 0Lux@F1.6 (IR on).

Hikvision has an 8MP PTZ already on the market with these specifications: Min. Illumination: Color: 0.002 Lux @(F1.6, AGC ON),B/W: 0.0002 Lux @(F1.6, AGC ON),0 Lux with IR.

If I am reading things correctly the above Dahua 8MP PTZ has 4 times the light capacity of the Hikvision 8MP PTZ.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
The light should be about the same, however you have around twice the number of pixels per square inch so the picture should be sharper with the 8MP version.
I think we crossed wires, I was talking low light performance being the same as we were comparing the low light performance above. 1/1.2" @ 8mp is roughly the same size pixel as 1/1.8" @ 4mp so the low performance should be very similar between the two.

showlow

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If same image sensor tech is used on the larger image sensor then the pixel size is roughly equal between the 8MP and 4MP IP cameras thus having the "same" low light performance.

Imagine two different IP camera with a 1/1.8" image sensor. One is 2MP and the other 4MP. If both were released on the same year on the same type of technology then the 2MP model will have better low light performance because it has larger pixels than the 4MP.

k110

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
News update! New G3 firmware has been released (5.5.160) -> DOWNLOAD EU PORTAL (hikvisioneurope.com)

No release notes, I just upgraded one of my G2 ColorVu's and yes, control of white light through motion detection is added! Will test this feature tonight. When setting motion detection in the NVR, the option white light is not (yet) available, don't know if the NVR needs a firmware update as well to include this new feature and push the setting to the camera.

Attachments