Known around here
Reaction score
What size lens did you get

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
T
Just got mine :headbang:
That's it, I cannot take it anymore, all these people buying this camera and saying how it's so good and I still don't have one. I am going to need to decide between a 4 and 6mm one soon :). I would like a perfect facial shot at 6 metres but also at 3 metres as will be putting car on drive soon at 3 metres with path crossing at 6 metres. Help me out everyone, 4 or 6mm for this, I think 4mm ?. Also want to pick up perfect facial of someone at road being about 15 metres, expect I will need another cam for this, maybe the 6mm one ?

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I can tell you that I have Hikvision DS-7616NI-I2/16P version for 5 years now. It handles now 6 4k Hikvision G2 cams, 1 Dahua 4k and couple 5MP cams. All record with at max fps 8mbps some motion only others always record. No issues. Hikvision keeps releasing updates. I don't see any reason to update yet.
What do you use for the bit rate? That could be my problem. Do you use constant or variable?

ZeeCam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What do you use for the bit rate? That could be my problem. Do you use constant or variable?
Variable 8k. Haven't tried with constant.

Btw I also got this ColorVu camera with 4mm lens from Ali Express seller. Its pricey but performance is worth it.

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I rechecked all of mine and one was set at a constant bit rate. I changed it to variable.
Forgot to mention I use H265 Compression encoding also, this means only 4096 bitrate is required for a 4K Camera, I believe on H264+ it's double that. I noted a Hikvision Guide that gives recommended bitrate Vs Camera Megapixels and FPS. Bit Rate Comparison Chart For Hikvision Cameras

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Forgot to mention I use H265 Compression encoding also, this means only 4096 bitrate is required for a 4K Camera, I believe on H264+ it's double that. I noted a Hikvision Guide that gives recommended bitrate Vs Camera Megapixels and FPS. Bit Rate Comparison Chart For Hikvision Cameras
I am going to go back and redo mine according to the chart and add 30% per the article for a safety measure. I am running H-265 on all my cameras. Also for the substream.

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am going to go back and redo mine according to the chart and add 30% per the article for a safety measure. I am running H-265 on all my cameras. Also for the substream.
My Lorex cameras don't let you go higher than the 4096, hence why I scrambled to find an article to see if this is correct or not. The Dahua ones however let me go allot higher than required. I hope once all sorted you face no issues viewing all your cameras and hence it saves you buying a new NVR and allows you to buy more cameras instead :).

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My neighbors Lorex cameras let him set higher than 4096 within the camera GUI....but the NVR will only accept 4096..

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
So far so good today on the bitrates. I had to adjust one camera up a little higher. With the Hikvision and Dahua cameras I can go pretty high on the bitrate. I may buy another 16 channel Hikvision NVR down the road to replace the 8 channel one that I am using for my 4 license plate cameras.

Edit: The 16 channel version comes with 16-ch @ 1080p (30fps). So in my way of thinking that is 16 ch @ 4MP and 15FPS or 8 channels @ 8MP and 15FPS. :)

So at 15FPS you have 32MP to play with and match to your cameras.

Last edited:

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have now got the 4mm version Installed in default not set it up yet so the pictures will look different. I run my bitrate at Max to get the most detail out the camera and constant.View attachment 81970View attachment 81971
Hi

So you have replaced your 2.8mm with a 4mm version ?.

Looking at your views, I would say your house to gate is roughly the same as mine, with path about same and the red car opposite maybe equivalent of where my road is as I have a grass area between path and road. So I would be interested at 1/120 shots in the dark with people within your boundary and someone standing where that white car is to see if you could make out good facial shots at that range if viable ?.

I.e I am having a drop kurb done and parking one car in my boundary soon. The video below was the Lorex in colour at 1/30, it cannot cope with 1/120 and goes into black and white.

What happened to the 2.8mm, did you send back or using it for something else ?

Thank you

Last edited:

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi , I still have both cams 2.8mm and the 4mm version. You will not get a good smooth clear picture from the white car opposite unless you get a 12-16mm lens or PTZ which I also have.
I have the exposure to 100th or 1/120th at the moment but dropping that to 1/60th can't see much difference in ghosting motion etc.

The 4mm lens is more suited for the gate area and as you can see it is pin sharp but if I am honest I still like the 2.8mm as I can see more and still capture a pretty decent image to the gate.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi

Looking at your views, I would say your house to gate is roughly the same as mine, with path about same and the white car opposite about equivalent of where my road is as I have a grass area between path and road. So I would be interested at 1/120 shots in the dark with people within your boundary and someone standing where that white car is to see if you could make out good facial shots at that range if viable ?.

I.e I am having a drop kurb done and parking one car in my boundary soon.

Thank you
Hi , I still have both cams 2.8mm and the 4mm version. You will not get a good smooth clear picture from the white car opposite unless you get a 12-16mm lens or PTZ which I also have.
I have the exposure to 100th or 1/120th at the moment but dropping that to 1/60th can't see much difference in ghosting motion etc.

The 4mm lens is more suited for the gate area and as you can see it is pin sharp but if I am honest I still like the 2.8mm as I can see more and still capture a pretty decent image to the gate.

I may drop mine to 1/60 and see what happens.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi

Looking at your views, I would say your house to gate is roughly the same as mine, with path about same and the red car opposite maybe equivalent of where my road is as I have a grass area between path and road. So I would be interested at 1/120 shots in the dark with people within your boundary and someone standing where that white car is to see if you could make out good facial shots at that range if viable ?.

I.e I am having a drop kurb done and parking one car in my boundary soon. The video below was the Lorex in colour at 1/30, it cannot cope with 1/120 and goes into black and white.

Thank you
You need more light and I am sure the white LED on this model will reach easy to your boundry.

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I cannot even get a HFW5442E-Z4E staying in colour at 1/120 with a good picture and these are good cameras. I cannot really put more light on the scene as already got porch light and so not much else I can give in the situation as I doubt neighbour's would appreciate a flood light :). I am nightly impressed at what these Hikvision's can get at 1/120. I am attually falling out of love with Dahua's the HFW5442E-Z4E never switches between day/night mode properly when switched to this profile and the new NVR I just bought has no place in a living room, fan is far to noisy. Considering you got your 4mm fast enough from the supplier I never even heard of, I will give them a punt also and order a 4mm from them. If they are as good as they look I will swap out all the Lorex cameras with these and take back the Lorex kit to Costco as now only using 4 of the cameras from the kit anyway.