Help needed setting up Hikvision Hilook camera on Dahua NVR

barrya

n3wb
Reaction score
I have migrated from using a Dahua NVR (DHI-NVR4108-8P-4KS2 2T) to using Blue Iris, but still use the NVR to power the Dahua cameras with the built-in POE to save buying a separate POE switch.
This has worked well for a while now and I have recently purchased a new Hikvision Hilook camera (IPC-T281H-MU) to add to the collection.
I would like to utilize the power from the NVR built-in POE and then reference this in Blue Iris as per the other Dahua Cameras.

The Hikvision camera can be accessed through a separate POE injector connected to another non-POE switch and I have used this to turn on ONVIF (off by default), and changed authentication from "digest" to "digest/basic" for both RTSP and Web authentication. DHCP has also been turned on, so the default address of 192.168.1.64 should not be an issue. I also confirmed that Blue Iris can connect to the camera when using the POE injector via the non-POE switch.
However when I disconnect from the POE injector and plug it into the Dahua NVR, it is not recognized automatically following an NVR reboot. Given it is not a Dahua camera I have tried manually adding it using ONVIF with the IP address of 10.2.2.69 which is the static address for port 5 of the NVR that I am connecting to (verified by plugging another Dahua camera into port 5), and while this shows the camera added in the lower pane, the status shows as disconnected. I know the password is correct, as I used this to connect to the camera from Blue Iris when it was on the POE injector.

I'm hoping that I am missing a simple step that someone can highlight as I have other cameras I would like to add and if I can't get POE working with the NVR it will mean buying an extra POE switch.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not a NVR person, I use BI on a PC but I'm thinking:

Your NVR's LAN and your Blue Iris server are likely on the same network subnet (like 192.168.1.XXX) so a device on the 10.2.2.XXX subnet (such as being plugged into the NVR's POE port) cannot be seen by Blue Iris.

You might be able to set your BI PC to DHCP and plug it into one of the NVR's POE port, putting the PC on the 10.2.2.XXX subnet and then try to reach the cam in question with BI to confirm this.

You could also possibly stream all cams through the NVR to BI; each BI cam would have the NVR's LAN IP but a different channel # selected from the drop-down for each cam (1,2,3, etc.)

barrya

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for your feedback Tony, but BI has no issue connecting to the other cameras on the Dahua NVR as the NVR and BI are on the same VLAN/subnet. The NVR does the job of exposing the 10.2.2.x subnet which the cameras are on, so as long as I can get the NVR to recognize my Hikvision camera, BI should be able to see that as well.

I found an article on Dahua wiki explaining the same steps which I have followed - the only step I couldn't complete was enabling Hikvision-CGI and setting this to "digest/basic" as that does not appear on my camera setup.
I see in the Dahua NVR a number of options for other cameras, so there must be a simple reason why the NVR is unable to connect to the Hikvision, but it has me stumped.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
possibly your Hik firmware is older or newer than the " CGI - Digest Basic" step being explained?
I swapped firmware on my Hik ( nightowl) dvr and was able to finally stream into BI with rstp/user pass blah blah channel 101 etc.....
But the firmware killed the ios Apps remote access on our phones. So I removed the motherfucker and put in a Amcrest XVR that was pulled from Condo service. Now all the stuff works in BI and I have Hik and Dahua ccams mixed but I'm not in IP world....
I have an IP Amcrest 8CH I would like to upgrade to but it's 0F in the Garage, and I aint in a hurry to fiddle around out there. AND I need 6 more cams to make it all go.

barrya

n3wb
Reaction score
possibly your Hik firmware is older or newer than the " CGI - Digest Basic" step being explained?
Yes - agreed. The Hikvision camera has just been purchased,
BI can access both the streams of the Hikvision via ONVIF with no problem if I power it via a different POE injector, but I was really hoping to use the spare POE ports on the Dahua NVR. With the amount of time spent on this so far, I may just need to bite the bullet and ditch the Dahua NVR.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Bummer.
I think I might have a Pay Per View, WWF SmackDown of my NightOwl DVR, being beaten to death with a sledgehammer, a chair, and set on fire.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Bummer.
I think I might have a Pay Per View, WWF SmackDown of my NightOwl DVR, being beaten to death with a sledgehammer, a chair, and set on fire.
Pay per View being sponsored by Reolink and the Hookup :lmao: