Hello from deep south! Mississippi

KCulver

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Buying blind in the area of security cameras and systems, I started off with Zmodo analog and later upgraded, so I thought, to Lorex 960H...Now I realize the importance of researching the tech if you are going to invest! Not too much damage done financially due to getting good deals but did waste coin. I'm now doing an IP system using Hik-Vision nvr and cameras. I found this site looking for the HIK's TFTP tool and discovered what good community and forum this is. Most everyone really helpful and courteous. So I joined and looking forward to being a part of this forum.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

On the tftp tool - just be aware that it's a second-level updater method, as opposed to the web GUI which should ideally be the first level.
That's because it doesn't protect so well against 'forcing' incompatible firmware on an NVR, and so increases the chance of 'bricking' it and having to do a deeper level recovery.

KCulver

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice on using TFTP as last resort. Actually I assumed the system would not let me install incompatible firmware but it updated with no complaints and then went into a boot loop after rebooting. When my replacement NVR arrives, I'm going to be verrrrrrry careful if I see a need to update it. Motherboard manufacturers always recommend you not update bios unless absolutely necessary and that is probably going to be my position with this NVR! lol....

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Actually I assumed the system would not let me install incompatible firmware
Yes, you'd think Hikvision would do a better job of that side of things. Dahua has a better handle on compatibility checks.
They do seem to revel in the ability to break the products their customers have purchased.
Check out 'language mismatch' and beware ...