Hall of shame

Gargoile

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Who needs expensive PTZ when we got this? :lmao:
This reminds me of where I work. They taped a small oscillating fan to the mouse so that the people monitoring all people this would make it look like people were at this desk are working as they could tell when .the PC went inactive.

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I was referring to the indoor rated cable that's used.
Fair enough.

I used to work at a place that ran an indoor rated cat5 cable for about 30m from our block across open ground to the second block over.
It was in full sunlight in the hash Australian summer for many years and never had a problem.
I'm sure that one will be fine too, until one day it's not.

Jim I.

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This reminds me of where I work. They taped a small oscillating fan to the mouse so that the people monitoring all people this would make it look like people were at this desk are working as they could tell when .the PC went inactive.
Where I work all the PC monitors are configured to go to sleep within a few minutes of inactivity. This became very annoying so we got around it by opening up Windows Media Player and creating a playlist using a couple pictures that were already on the PC. Then just click play and Media Player will run in the background constantly displaying a loop of the pictures. This keeps the monitor from ever going to sleep.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Some of the stuff here is pretty tame compared to what I see when I visit India.

When I was there at the start of the year I wanted air con fitted to my house there so went to no less than 3 air con shops and told them that I would buy if they would guarantee that the install would have trunking installed, any holes they made to pass pipes/cables through filled and generally be tidy. Not one would guarantee the quality of their workmanship.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm sure that one will be fine too, until one day it's not.
So true.
I've had at least 2 instances in the past 12 years where indoor (CMR) CAT-5e was run outdoors to an Engenius radio and at the other location a Ubiquiti radio and both failed within 5 years. Both were directly exposed full time to the sun and moisture. I actually found water inside the jackets and there were tiny slits in the insulation of one or more pairs...I think this caused some electrical "leakage" between differential pairs (like the orange pair to the green pair) and messed up it's reliable TX/RX and caused errors.

Since I didn't install it I guess it's possible that damage to the jacket was caused by rough handling or poor techniques during the install BUT...... it appears both water ingress points were at sharp bends. I believe the bends stretched the outer PVC pretty thin so it didn't take long for it to develop a slit as the direct sun/night time thermal cycling did a number of it and it opened up, allowing the water in.. Heat up, cool off, suck the water in....rinse and repeat. What I used outdoors (Ubiquiti ToughCable Pro) has such a tough, thick jacket with UV inhibitors I've never had an issue with it and frankly, I've been VERY rough with it.

I have installed a couple of dozen CAT-5e and 6 runs with a CMR jacket outdoors underneath roof eaves and overhangs and tucked under vinyl siding seams where there's no direct sun or rain exposure; most of those are over 15 years of age and are still OK as far as I know, but again.....those are fairly well protected from direct exposure.

Last edited:

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
There are lots of little “mouse jiggler” utilities to do this. But yeah if the computers are locked down or monitored that might not work.
That's why you don't use a utility and, instead, a piece of hardware not attached to the PC.

You place you mouse on top, the wheel spins, and the cursor moves.

1690555223984.png