Found Firmware that fixes Hikvision 4MP WDR Performance DS-2x42 IP WDR

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
That's a big difference - it looks like it's working well.
Still good contrast with it enabled, doesn't have the washed out problem.

FastCamMan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In most of the newer Hikvision NVR Software releases (ie v3.3.x and later) WDR (as well as most image settings such as day/night switch and others) can only be changed by logging directly into the Camera. This is a deliberate imitative by Hikvision to push nearly all image related settings to the Camera (which by the way I do not necessarily agree with but it is what is). The only image settings that are controllable from the NVR are now brightness, contrast and saturation as well as OSD. On the flip side, Hikvision is trying to pull all Smart Event settings (such as motion, intrustion detection, line cross, ect) into the NVR which makes a lot of sense.

So to answer your question, no, WDR can not be turned on and off by NVR anymore.

FastCamMan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am replying to follow-up on my own post. For those that may be thinking about switching from Hikvision to LTS firmware to fix image and WDR problems I want to make sure everyone is aware of one caveat. LTS v5.3.2 (build 150915) does not seem to support H.264+ with Hikvision NVRs.... Not sure about other NVRs yet and we don't have any LTS. This has not been a big deal for us as from our experience with H.264+ from Hikvision is that it is buggy and not ready for prime time especially due to codec incompatibility issues. Otherwise we now have over 60 of the Hikvision Minidome 4mp running DS-2CD2542FWD-IS flawlessly!

domelsnake

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello FastCamMan,

Thanks for your answer.

Is that mean I need to assign an IP of 192.168.254.X to my laptop and connect it to a corresponding interface every time when need to change some cameras config?

I'm thinking of connecting one of the PoE interfaces to the same switch as the NVR's LAN interface is connected to and assign a secondary IP address to my PC (also connected to the same switch) from a PoE interfaces subnet (192.168.254.X/24) - just wondering if this is going to work without VLAN L2 separation - anyone tried that?

In regards to the firmware I have used this one to fix the "flashing issue" of my cameras (HikVision firmware):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...44/digicap.dav

Discussion here:

https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/5102-2MP-vs-4MP

Not too sure if that fix the WDR issue as LTS firmware does.

Also I do use H.264+ and can't see any issues with it - I'm impressed of the HDD low space use.

Kroegtijgertje

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK. I just received this Western Region camera from AliExpess...

Model DS-2CD2342WD-I
Serial No. DS-2CD2342WD-I20150906BBWRQQQQQ465
Firmware Version V5.3.3 build 150630
Encoding Version V7.0 build 150609

The camera was running POORLY: Sluggish...then responsive...then un-responsive...then non-responsive! Yikes...this suQs thought I.

So I downloaded the firmware for the model CMIP3142W-28S (file name: IPC4_V5.3.2_150915v2.zip), firmware version: "IPC4_V5.3.2_150915v2" from the LTS website. I crossed my fingers and uploaded to the camera (System > Maintenance > Remote Upgrade).

And all fixed. The camera now responds SMOKING FAST and the problems previously experienced are no more.

Thank you very much Mr. FastCamMan.

I'll tell you though...pushing that "Upgrade" button was a leap of faith!

But PLEASE think this through before you try this and NO COMPLAINTS if YOU brick your camera as result.

http://www.ltsecurityinc.com/downloads
I can't make any changes in the Video/Audio section. When I click 'Save' it says: 'device error'

EDIT: nevermind, after a restore everything works just fine

Last edited by a moderator:

baraider

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello FastCamMan,

Thanks for your answer.

Is that mean I need to assign an IP of 192.168.254.X to my laptop and connect it to a corresponding interface every time when need to change some cameras config?

I'm thinking of connecting one of the PoE interfaces to the same switch as the NVR's LAN interface is connected to and assign a secondary IP address to my PC (also connected to the same switch) from a PoE interfaces subnet (192.168.254.X/24) - just wondering if this is going to work without VLAN L2 separation - anyone tried that?

In regards to the firmware I have used this one to fix the "flashing issue" of my cameras (HikVision firmware):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...44/digicap.dav

Discussion here:

https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/5102-2MP-vs-4MP

Not too sure if that fix the WDR issue as LTS firmware does.

Also I do use H.264+ and can't see any issues with it - I'm impressed of the HDD low space use.
Were you able to update the firmware to LTS as well?

I have 2 Hikvision 2042 like you and I still couldn't get Synology Surveillance Station to recognize the camera.

tomw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Guys.

Glad I am not alone with this issue :)

I have the issue with a new 4MP Chinese Hacked "English/Multi Language" version (DS-2CD3345-I 4MP) from here http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2015-New-model-DS-2CD3345-I-4MP-array-30m-IR-Network-Dome-security-ip-camera-H265/32415146575.html

Is there any hope for flashing my cam (I contacted the seller to see if there is a new firmware and they said no).

I am happy to use Chinese firmware (already have another hik running chinese language google does a good job and they are basically set and forget anyway).

Any thoughts from the forum experts - or does it go into the bin!

domelsnake

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Were you able to update the firmware to LTS as well?

I have 2 Hikvision 2042 like you and I still couldn't get Synology Surveillance Station to recognize the camera.
Hi Baraider,

I think your issue is on Synology side as the model of these 4MP cameras wasn't listed on my DS215j too.

Had to set this up as OVF and that worked fine with the old cameras firmware but as I have explained somewhere on this forum I have replaced my Synology with HikVision NVR already as it was very sluggish with 4MP cameras (had to wait ages to actually see what has been recorder - motion detection).

HikVision is much better but it is dedicated NVR and it costs bi more too compared to my DS215j.

P.S. I haven't updated my cameras with the LTS firmware but with the original HikVision one.

baraider

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi Baraider,

I think your issue is on Synology side as the model of these 4MP cameras wasn't listed on my DS215j too.

Had to set this up as OVF and that worked fine with the old cameras firmware but as I have explained somewhere on this forum I have replaced my Synology with HikVision NVR already as it was very sluggish with 4MP cameras (had to wait ages to actually see what has been recorder - motion detection).

HikVision is much better but it is dedicated NVR and it costs bi more too compared to my DS215j.

P.S. I haven't updated my cameras with the LTS firmware but with the original HikVision one.
Thank you.
I have decided to get a PC to use as a dedicated NVR and forget the Synology route. I have tried Blue Iris and it seems to be a good way to go.

Reaction score
I'm also looking to use the LTS firmware with three of my Hikvision cameras due to the WDR issue. First camera is the unbranded Hikvision 2042WD-I 4mp Bullet camera, other two cameras are the unbranded Hikvision 2142FWD-I 4MP Domes. Would it be safe to assume the 2042WD is the same as the LTS CMIP8242W and the 2142FWD-I is CMIP 7442W-28M?

Has anyone used the LTS firmware with those Hikvision models? If so, which version did you use, and what was your experience?