Dual NIC setup on your Blue Iris Machine

reflection

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am just setting up a system and Blue Iris seems impressive. I have a HP 590 that I want to use but it is very limited on slots, however i do have wireless and ethernet on the 590, is there a way to use both of those for the dual nic setup or do i need to use a USB ethernet adapter that I bought for my FireTV because no longer use?

I am willing to buy a router that has VLAN but to be honest every router that I have found for $200 or less they all claim VLAN but it is only IPTV VLAN, suggestions for a router would be ok also if there is good guides on how to setup the VLAN (seen several Dream Machine videos that walk you through it and seem easy enough however that is $300).
Yes, you can use your Ethernet NIC and your wifi radio. Or, you can use a USB Ethernet adapter. As long as you have dual interfaces. Interfaces can be physical PCIe NICs, WiFi, USB Ethernet, even virtual if you are doing VMs.

If you are doing dual interfaces, you probably don't need to do VLANs. If you are interested in VLANs, you can check this out: VLAN design example

Reaction score
You can use a USB ethernet adapter, I use one between Blue Iris and the primary network because it just has Blue Iris UI3 traffic, and I use the built-in for the more intense camera-only network, but know that neither interface really needs a gigabit network imho.
However, according to a link I found on HP, that desktop should have 1-PCIEx16 plus 1-PCIEx1 slot, and a gigabit ethernet card would fit nicely in a PCIEx1 slot. Obviously, if you have other stuff occupying those slots then fallback to USB adapter.

CrazieBird

n3wb
Reaction score
I want to say thanks for the help so far...

I am getting confused about this part of instructions since I want to add a Amcrest IP5M-T1179EW-28MM:

"My cameras are Dahua and I was able to access them through IE.
Follow steps below to get this to work so you can simply type 192.168.1.108 in IE.
-Add a similar IP to Dahua so it can log into IE. For example: '192.168.1.55' (you can use any number between 1-254 and not only .55 - just do not use .108 so it doesn't conflict with the Dahua IP).
It will look like this:
Now you are set - plug in each Dahua IP Cam and type 192.168.1.108 into IE - setup the password and change the IP to "192.168.55.20 / .21 / .22 / .23" and so on."

I assume Dahua is probably different than Amcrest in access so what would I do for this part for Amcrest instead? Trying to do this securely (I read you should not let the camera access the internet even during setup which I guess is what causing me confusion) or should i setup the ip on my normal LAN for the camera using the included instructions and then move it over to my CameraLAN?

Thank you

Last edited:

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I want to say thanks for the help so far...

I am getting confused about this part of instructions since I want to add a Amcrest IP5M-T1179EW-28MM:
I assume Dahua is probably different than Amcrest in access so what would I do for this part for Amcrest instead?
That one pulls an address from DHCP. So you'll need to find it on whatever net you plug it into.

Various ways to do that harder or easier depending on what you've got there. The Dahua Config Tool will find it. Don't recall whether the MAC address is on the cam or not (it's not on the box) but, if so, you can type "arp -a" in a command box and it will show a list of IPs/MAC addresses that you can look through. If no MAC, you can run that before and after and see what address is added. Router may give you a list of assigned addresses. Etc., etc...

bbdude

n3wb
Reaction score
Great information here. Thanks TL1096R et al. I am putting together a 2 NIC setup on a Dell Windows 10 PC. For the 2nd NIC I am using a Rosewill RC-20001 PCIe NIC card. I setup the 2nd LAN Ethernet adapter settings as described in TL1096R's first post above. I set it to 192.168.55.1. I then connected the NIC to my Netgear GS308PP POE switch. I also connected an Annke C-800 IP Cam to the POE. I have the Annke setup to use Static IP address 192.168.55.2.

This seems to be working. I can use Internet Explorer (only browser supported by Annke plugin), going to URL 192.168.55.2, and log into the camera, and do a live view. Eventually I will purchase BI and connect my other 3 Annke cameras.

One question I have from your first post above: in the NIC adapter IPv4 settings -> Advanced -> what was the purpose of adding 192.168.1.50 ?

reflection

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
One question I have from your first post above: in the NIC adapter IPv4 settings -> Advanced -> what was the purpose of adding 192.168.1.50 ?
I believe the purpose is that he wants to have multiple IP subnets on the same broadcast domain. We used to call it multinetting (that was 20 years ago). Both 192.168.1.0/24 and 192.168.55.0/24 exist together on the same interface.

This will allow your Blueiris machine to access new Dahua IP cameras which have a default IP address of 192.168.1.108. You can login to the camera from BI and then change the camera's IP address to 192.168.55.x without having to unplug anything.

This may not matter for your Annke camera if it is not using 192.168.1.0/24.

maxmind84

n3wb
Reaction score
In making your system more secure this is a great option to eliminate your cameras calling home / connecting to the internet

This is a great place to start to setup a bit more secure network and learn more about IP/Subnets etc. before adding dual NICs:
Router Security - Subnets and IP addresses

You will need:
-2 NIC
-Blue Iris on a suitable computer - choose here:
Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris | IP Cam Talk
-POE switch

This setup is easy to setup once you know what you are doing.

Connect your POE into the second NIC on your computer.

Then go to:
-Control Panel:
->Network and sharing center -> Normally on left side menu you want to click 'change adapter settings'

RIGHT click on the NIC where the POE switch is connected:
->click properties

It will look like this on Windows 10:

->double click on the "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)" or click 'Properties' box AFTER you highlight "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)"

It will look like this:

------------------------------------------------

After double clicking "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)"
:
Click the "Use the following IP address"

-enter the IP you want to use for your cams. Choose one that will not conflict with anything else like
"192.168.55.10"

Now you can make the cam IPs 192.168.55.xxx - the only number you cannot use is .10. Example of 4 cams would be:
"192.168.55.20"
"192.168.55.21"
"192.168.55.22"
"192.168.55.23"

Default gateway will be blank.

It will look like this:

My cameras are Dahua and I was able to access them through IE.

Follow steps below to get this to work so you can simply type 192.168.1.108 in IE.

-Add a similar IP to Dahua so it can log into IE. For example: '192.168.1.55' (you can use any number between 1-254 and not only .55 - just do not use .108 so it doesn't conflict with the Dahua IP).

It will look like this:

Now you are set - plug in each Dahua IP Cam and type 192.168.1.108 into IE - setup the password and change the IP to "192.168.55.20 / .21 / .22 / .23" and so on.

After you setup your password you will see the Dahua GUI - go to:
'settings' tab -> then go to Network -> TCP/IP

The gateway will be 'made-up' so it cannot connect to the internet on your Dahua. Please make sure your Default Gateway is the same IP as your cameras but use .254 so it doesn't conflict with any futures cameras you will add.

It will look like this:

Auto-detect in your cams on Blue Iris by using the 192.168.55.20/21/22 IP

This at first looks more intimidating than it is. Being a newbie and never seeing or knowing how this worked it was a bit confusing. Member @Mr_D remote connected and set this up in 5 minutes so I would like to give a thank you to his patience in helping me with this setup!

I hope this little DIY helps other newbies looking for a more security. I hope to get vlans, pfsense, vpn through router setup and I will try my best to explain my setup with steps in the future.

Setup will look like this:

-----For Wireless Cam Dual NIC setup-----

@SouthernYankee Quick Guide to Dual NIC with a wireless camera / Doorbell Camera.
Using a second NIC with a wireless camera is straight forward.
1) Get an access point, wire it to the switch that is on the second NIC, give it an IP address that is in the second NIC sub net range.
2) Set the access point to have a different SSID then your home WiFi, make sure that it is on a different channel than your home WiFi.
3) Configure the wireless camera to have an IP address in the second NIC sub net range.
4) Configure the wireless camera to have the same SSID and channel as the access point.

More detailed info - I will try to take screenshots and add as much detail as possible from all the info I gathered from: southern/bp2008/catcam. Great minds here allowing me to get this small write-up together to give more detail.

Plug the new wifi (access point) into the switch that is connected to the 2nd NIC:
-> Turn off DHCP server
-> Change LAN address
-> Configure the wireless camera to have an IP address in the second NIC sub net range.
-> Unique SSID that is different than main router
-> Set WPA2 Password
-> Choose Channel 1, 6 or 11. Make sure it is a different channel than your main router. If all 3 are already in use, pick whichever is furthest away or used the least.
-> Turn off 40MHz mode. Only use 20MHz mode
-> Configure the wireless camera to have an IP address in the second NIC sub net range.

-----For Wireless Cam Dual NIC setup-----

There is a lot of questions after setting up a dual NIC - please refer to this thread to see more setup info on VPNs:
I tried this a few times and when I change the Dahua Camera IP to "192.168.55.20" I'm unable to access it through the browser any longer and BI can't detect it. Not sure what I'm missing but I have a feeling it might be this part which I'm having trouble understanding:

"-Add a similar IP to Dahua so it can log into IE. For example: '192.168.1.55' (you can use any number between 1-254 and not only .55 - just do not use .108 so it doesn't conflict with the Dahua IP)."

Sparkotic

n3wb
Reaction score
Not sure if i should post here or create a new thread... I have followed this set up, pretty straight forward. Everything seems to be good, but after a few minutes my cameras shut off. Can't see them on the BI machine. If I disable the nic attached to the primary network, the cameras turn back on. I have vlans set up, and my poe switch does inter vlan routing, but my router (netgear r7800) doesn't nat vlans, so does not allow my bi machine on internet.. Not sure which would be easier, getting a vlan capable router, or figuring out why my dual nic isn't working.

reflection

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Not sure if i should post here or create a new thread... I have followed this set up, pretty straight forward. Everything seems to be good, but after a few minutes my cameras shut off. Can't see them on the BI machine. If I disable the nic attached to the primary network, the cameras turn back on. I have vlans set up, and my poe switch does inter vlan routing, but my router (netgear r7800) doesn't nat vlans, so does not allow my bi machine on internet.. Not sure which would be easier, getting a vlan capable router, or figuring out why my dual nic isn't working.
Post a diagram of your topology.

Sparkotic

n3wb
Reaction score
Don't laugh too hard. I'm out of town and downloaded an app to make this real quick.
Standard home network, gig speed, as many items I can are wired.
The pro switch is L3, and a member on this forum walked me through setting up vlans.
Vlan1 standard network. With internet
Vlan2 bi machine.
Vlan3 cameras, no internet.

My r7800 doesn't do vlans. So I am trying to do the dual nic. But when both nics active, the cameras start turning off while watching them on the bi machine. If I turn off nic 1 to primary network, the cameras turn back on.

Attachments

reflection

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Is y
Don't laugh too hard. I'm out of town and downloaded an app to make this real quick.
Standard home network, gig speed, as many items I can are wired.
The pro switch is L3, and a member on this forum walked me through setting up vlans.
Vlan1 standard network. With internet
Vlan2 bi machine.
Vlan3 cameras, no internet.

My r7800 doesn't do vlans. So I am trying to do the dual nic. But when both nics active, the cameras start turning off while watching them on the bi machine. If I turn off nic 1 to primary network, the cameras turn back on.
You wrote vlan2 for both nic1 and nic2. Do you mean vlan2 for nic1 and vlan3 for nic2?

Do you have one nic with two vlans on it (vlan trunking)? Or two nics connected to the switch and the ports are configured as vlan access ports? VLAN design example

Sparkotic

n3wb
Reaction score
Vlans 1,2,3 are created in the switch. Nic 1 is to vlan1(primary network and internet)

Nic 2 goes to vlan2. Vlan2 can see vlan 1 and 3

Vlan 3 is cameras. Cannot see anything other than vlan3.

If I turn on both nics, it seams to work for a minute or two, then cameras begin turning off (or maybe just losing connection?)
So I turn off nic 1. The cameras function properly.

I am trying to get it so I can check my cameras from my phone when I am not at home
Thank you

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
KEEP IT SIMPLE AND SAFE.

Run the cameras directly from a POE switch to the NIC2. Do not run the NIC 2 to the Pro switch. Run NIC 1 to the Pro switch. The only machine that should see the cameras is the BI PC.

Sparkotic

n3wb
Reaction score
KEEP IT SIMPLE AND SAFE.

Run the cameras directly from a POE switch to the NIC2. Do not run the NIC 2 to the Pro switch. Run NIC 1 to the Pro switch. The only machine that should see the cameras is the BI PC.
The pro switch is my poe device. It powers the cameras.
Nic2 plugged into vlan2 (192.168.42.x) functions properly through proswitch and can see vlan3 (192.168.36.x) cameras.
Since r7800 doesn't do vlans, nic 1 plugs into vlan1(192.168.1.x) on the proswitch, which is also main network, plugged into router (192.168.1.1)

Should I wipe out the vlans all together? Have the proswitch power cameras and plug nic2 into it. Then nic1 straight to router?

reflection

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Vlans 1,2,3 are created in the switch. Nic 1 is to vlan1(primary network and internet)

Nic 2 goes to vlan2. Vlan2 can see vlan 1 and 3

Vlan 3 is cameras. Cannot see anything other than vlan3.

If I turn on both nics, it seams to work for a minute or two, then cameras begin turning off (or maybe just losing connection?)
So I turn off nic 1. The cameras function properly.

I am trying to get it so I can check my cameras from my phone when I am not at home
Thank you
If you are trying to do what I think you are trying to do, then:

1. get rid of vlan 1 (vlan 1 should not be used for security reasons)
2. for the switch port going to your r7800 router, make that an access vlan 2
3. for the switch port going to nic1 of your BI machine, make that an access vlan 2
4. for the switch port going to nic2 of your BI machine, make that an access vlan 3
5. for the switch ports going to your cameras, make that an access vlan 3

other notes:
your cameras should not have a default gateway. They should be able to directly connect to BI on vlan 3.
You don't need a vlan capable router.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes that is what I would do. I am a KEEP IT SIMPLE. I am not a fan of smart configurable switches, They just complicate a home network
Plug the switch into BI NIC2.
Plug the BI NIC1 into to dumb switch.
Note you will only be able to directly access the cameras from the BI machine There will be no other direct camera access.

Sparkotic

n3wb
Reaction score
If you are trying to do what I think you are trying to do, then:

1. get rid of vlan 1 (vlan 1 should not be used for security reasons)
2. for the switch port going to your r7800 router, make that an access vlan 2
3. for the switch port going to nic1 of your BI machine, make that an access vlan 2
4. for the switch port going to nic2 of your BI machine, make that an access vlan 3
5. for the switch ports going to your cameras, make that an access vlan 3

other notes:
your cameras should not have a default gateway. They should be able to directly connect to BI on vlan 3.
You don't need a vlan capable router.
I am iut of town and get home tomorrow and will try this. Currently vlan2 is only 1 port. I will add a 2nd and try this. Hopefully it works.
Thank you

Sparkotic

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes that is what I would do. I am a KEEP IT SIMPLE. I am not a fan of smart configurable switches, They just complicate a home network
Plug the switch into BI NIC2.
Plug the BI NIC1 into to dumb switch.
Note you will only be able to directly access the cameras from the BI machine There will be no other direct camera access.
I am going to try the method above when I get home. If it doesn't work, I will try this method. By direct camera access, you mean logging into the individual cameras? Will I be able to view live feed from my phone while away from home?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can live view the feed in BI. You will not be able to directly access the cameras for anywhere else, except the BI PC. that is the security purpose of using the second NIC. NO internet access at all for the cameras. The cameras have no access to any other devices on your home network.