Dual NIC setup on your Blue Iris Machine

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In the past I had a wireless access point connected to the switch for the second nic. I use a very old router that supported only 2.4 GHZ as the access point. You can get an old router on ebay for $25. I used an Asus rt-n12.

Make sure you uses a unique SSID and select a channel 1,6,11 that your home network is not using.

Last edited:

misterfredsr

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can find cheap USB ethernet adapters online
I found this thread very interesting and I want to give this a try and I was wondering if using a HDMI connection would be better then a USB connection. I do believe I have 2 USB 3.0 connections but not 100% sure and I have 2 HDMI connections and I am using 1 for my monitor and one not being used for anything.
So what do the experts thing? my research did nothing on finding on which one would be better.
Thanks for any kind of help you can give me.
Fred

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
I found this thread very interesting and I want to give this a try and I was wondering if using a HDMI connection would be better then a USB connection. I do believe I have 2 USB 3.0 connections but not 100% sure and I have 2 HDMI connections and I am using 1 for my monitor and one not being used for anything.
So what do the experts thing? my research did nothing on finding on which one would be better.
Thanks for any kind of help you can give me.
Fred
I'm assuming you want to add a 2nd NIC to your PC. I've heard of HDMI over ethernet but not HDMI ethernet adapters. Buy the USB adapter.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Can one use openvpn to view the camera or just use teamviewer?

JJStats

n3wb
Reaction score
My mistake. I've been using teamviewer without going through the VPN connection. I'm pretty sure that's a no no. But, could you use gDMSS to access the camera with this setup.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@JJStats

The dual nic shields the cameras from the internet and the remainder of your home network. gDMSS will would on the computer with the Dual NIC, also any other computer that is on the second network. If you have team view on the computer with the dual NIC you should be able to access the cameras.

Seth01123

n3wb
Reaction score
I am new to networking and just trying to get the dual nic setup working. I am so thankful for this guide. It was very well put together and easy to follow. I am messing up somewhere and I hope someone can point out what I am doing wrong.
I am having trouble with the tcp/ip advanced settings. I cannot get the settings to save when I am adding the ip address(192.168.1.50). I will type it in and then click add, then I will click ok to exit the window. Everything is looking good until I go back in and I notice that it was not saved and the only address is the 192.168.55.10. Any idea what I am doing wrong? Screenshots attached.
Dell Optiplex 7040 mini tower running windows 10 and fully updated
Internet from router is coming through motherboard nic
second nic is TP-Link TG-3468 on PCIe slot
POE switch connected to TP-Link adaptor
Tried uninstalling adapter in device manager and restarting PC but still having same problem.
Also insured that drivers for adapter are up to date.

Attachments

Seth01123

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I apologize for my ignorance, you are saying to use the same default gateway as the 192.168.55.10, but there is currently no default gateway setup for that right now. Which one should I put in? Also, earlier in this thread I got the impression that adding a default gateway was discouraged. Is doing this different then what was previously mentioned?

Exactly, don't give the 2nd NIC for the cameras a DG. Nothing can connect to them other than the BI machine. Simple and effective.

Seth01123

n3wb
Reaction score
I tried adding a default gateway. The screenshot shows how I configured it. But it still is not saving. Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong?

Attachments

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The default gateway, in this case, is for the PC and has nothing to do with security (blocking internet access) for the cameras.

Seth01123

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, I am logged in as administrator, just got the PC in and its got a fresh install of windows 10 Pro. That makes sense sebastiantombs, thanks for clarifying.
After setting up the nic as shown above I wanted to try to connect to the Dahua camera via internet explorer by typing in 192.168.1.108 just to see what would happen. It tries to connect and IE says "waiting for 192.168.1.108". Then it says "Can't reach this page"
More screenshots.

Attachments

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
What does ipconfig show? Does it show two ip addresses for your PC? Which network card did you configure with the second ip address?

Seth01123

n3wb
Reaction score
I can post a screen shot of ipconfig, do I need to redact anything on it first before I post it though?

Seth01123

n3wb
Reaction score
ipconfig shows two ethernet adapters. I installed the 2nd adapter and that is the one I am using to run the poe switch and cameras. The first ethernet adapter shows ip address 192.168.1.50 and the second ethernet adapter shows ip address 192.168.55.10.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Your local addresses are meaningless in terms of hacking. The only address that ever needs to be redacted is the IP address of your router.

Can you successfully ping 192.168.1.108?