Deleting/removing images on NVR

tate16t

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I recently setup a DS-7608NI-E2/8P with motion detection. Is there a way to delete/remove images from disk after capturing them?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
If you are looking to sanitise the disc for privacy reasons before getting rid of it - be aware that formatting it (or even managing to delete the files, which you can't do via the web GUI) will not wipe the data on the disc, just the file system references to it.

tate16t

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I would like to remove the images I create at some point since most are experimental as I become familiar with the product. Also going forward I would like to know how tomanage disk space.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I would like to remove the images I create at some point since most are experimental as I become familiar with the product. Also going forward I would like to know how tomanage disk space.
You should just let the NVR overwrite the data....there is no need to manually manage the space.

tate16t

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
ok how does that work? At what frequency does it overwrite? If you could point me to the process I can read up on via the manual, providing its there of course :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
ok how does that work? At what frequency does it overwrite? If you could point me to the process I can read up on via the manual, providing its there of course :)
Someone with the NVR can point you to the settings...its should be something in the storage settings..usually "overwrite"...
It overwrites the oldest video as new video comes in.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
It overwrites the oldest video as new video comes in.
@fenderman is correct, given that 'Overwrite' is enabled when the disc becomes full.

Which, on the assumption your NVR has newish firmware (this is 3.3.4) can be found here:

On the older firmware, the tickbox to enable Overwriting is under 'Device parameters | Advanced'.

Attachments

tate16t

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
ok got it, thanks guys. I'm on V3.3.2 build 150522 so I guess I need to look into upgrading but I do have this option checked.

tate16t

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a US based unit. Are you referring to potential problems as it relates to the device regions or something else?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
There have been posts about problems with email alerts on 3.3.4 for example.
And I suppose as you're already on a 3.3.x version you are already past the point where additional restrictions on different-region cameras were imposed.
And the fairly common consequence (admittedly mainly with cameras) of a firmware update exposing the true region of a device if the supplied firmware had been seller-modified to masquerade the region of the device.

tate16t

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Funny you mention email alert problems. I just went through a couple of days trying to get emails to work. I final did but cannot figure out what I did differently to get it working.