Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
Doh! Can't believe I never realized this! I think I assumed that since there were cameras that can be powered with a 12 V power dongle that PoE was 12 V, but your explanation makes perfect sense.

Thanks.

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

now update that spreadsheet son!!

Paulx

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Been doing electronics for over 40 years. Seems that the new generations have found new ways to say what I was doing years ago. This causes confusion. I was seeing cameras that run on 12 volts and POE switches with 48v supplies. What caught my eye is that the POE spec of xxx.x(3af) related to both the camera and switch. So, I knew that they are compatible. Though I will admit that cringed when I plugged in my first POE camera. LOL

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
I think of POE as managing the voltage drop this way. The camera actually does run on 12v through POE, but converts whatever arrives of the 48v through the long run down to 12v. Short run? 47 to 12v. Long run? Convert the 18v (or whatever) that arrives to 12v. As long as it doesn't drop below what the camera needs to run (12v), then everything is fine.

It's kind of like the analog cams that run on 24v AC. The current actually gets converted to 12v DC at the camera. They just used the higher voltage as a way to power cameras a longer distance away from the power source.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Right now for the IPC-HDW5231R-Z and IPC-HDW5231R-ZE stock not comes fast, so we can use IPC-HDW5231R-ZE instead if the HDW5231R-Z no stock, for all the members here now, these 2 price will be the same. I just apply for the same price for the HDW5231R-ZE. Let me know when make the orders. This is the best way to ship all orders fast, can be same day shipping, 3 days from HK to US,AU, NZ and Europe. For those European country guys, better use the free tax way, we paid the tax in NL and ship to the other EU countries. This can save you some money. Just need around 10days.

Aliexpress.com : Buy Dahua 2MP WDR IR Eyeball Network Camera IPC HDW5231R ZE ,free DHL shipping from Reliable network camera suppliers on Empire Technology Co., Ltd

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Right now for the IPC-HDW5231R-Z and IPC-HDW5231R-ZE stock not comes fast, so we can use IPC-HDW5231R-ZE instead if the HDW5231R-Z no stock, for all the members here now, these 2 price will be the same. I just apply for the same price for the HDW5231R-ZE. Let me know when make the orders. This is the best way to ship all orders fast, can be same day shipping, 3 days from HK to US,AU, NZ and Europe. For those European country guys, better use the free tax way, we paid the tax in NL and ship to the other EU countries. This can save you some money. Just need around 10days.

Aliexpress.com : Buy Dahua 2MP WDR IR Eyeball Network Camera IPC HDW5231R ZE ,free DHL shipping from Reliable network camera suppliers on Empire Technology Co., Ltd
Seems some misunderstanding here, these 2 models(IPC-HDW5231R-Z and IPC-HDW5231R-ZE) i keep enough stock, sometimes one model no stock and another one have, so if can select the stock in one, we can ship all very fast. These models still need 40days to be ready after booking, so we have to invest a big money for the stock, to make the ball rolling. So these days no one to wait. Both two cams are perfect;)

ewc1111

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For those who still look for a very good camera at this price level:
I think this camera has one of the best price performance ratios ever. If you want more you just have to invest more. My opinion. Show me a camera that can do more for the same price.:):)
I think many problems are due to new firmware software or wrong settings. So also the last 16R. I've installed the 14r. again and everything is almost perfect.
see also the videos of Nayr on the first pages of this big thread what this camera can do with the right settings.

SeanO

n3wb
Reaction score
Anyone using these in an outdoor exposed environment and can comment on durability?

I have two units that have both failed within three or four rain storms worth of exposure. One fails to boot and the other has internal moisture on the lens.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
I have one mounted down low on an exposed corner of my house for about a year and have no issues.

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Anyone using these in an outdoor exposed environment and can comment on durability?

I have two units that have both failed within three or four rain storms worth of exposure. One fails to boot and the other has internal moisture on the lens.
Can you provide model number? Is this the Z or the newer ZE?

Reaction score

I have 5 of the 5231R-Z's mounted outside for 7 months now. Zero problems. Waiting to see how below zero temps affect them. Direct rain has been no problem at all.

Reaction score
Well, that was me that thought it was incompatible , based on the listing description stating 48V 24W:

Y-Axis Wall Plug PoE Injector Power Over Ethernet Supply 802.3af 48V 24W 0.5A for Security IP Camera

Why wouldn't this state 12V?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just to add to the other responses, here’s our demo videvo on the topic:

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have 5 of the 5231R-Z's mounted outside for 7 months now. Zero problems. Waiting to see how below zero temps affect them. Direct rain has been no problem at all.
Same here,but only one mounted directly in the elements. Side of a barn. Zero protection except a little bit from the wall.

linze

n3wb
Reaction score
I was in your shoes regarding this thread, so I took some notes for myself, and am providing them below, as well as in the attached document at the bottom of this post. It has a table of contents and is searchable, so if you really want to dig in, download it.

I also have a setup document with notes/tips interjected from information taken from this thread, when you are ready for that:

Dahua Model Decoding

View attachment 21186

Purchasing Information
Forum member EMPIRETECANDY (Andy) has an AliExpress store and is a proven, trusted seller. He is also pretty active in the forums, providing incoming stock updates from the Dahua factory. Note that he sells mostly cameras without the Dahua logo on them (non-branded), but can also get the branded versions; just contact him and ask for the pricing. The cameras he sells can be safely flashed with the Dahua U.S. firmware, which is not always the case for other Dahua cameras sold on AliExpress. To contact Andy, send him a private message via the IPCamTalk forum here, or send an email to: kingsecurity2014@163.com

The purchase process consists of providing Andy with your Paypal ID (email address), and he sends an invoice to your Paypal account. You pay the invoice, and he ships the product via DHL. You just need to ensure the address on your Paypal account is correct.

Dahua International Vs. U.S. Models
The cameras listed below are international models. The U.S. models are the same camera, with the exception of the logo and a significant price premium. Obviously, the model numbers are different, and the Dahua U.S. Wiki has the model decoding information. Some companies also rebrand Dahua cameras, and create surveillance system kits. (Lorex, Qsee, etc.). With a little bit of detective work, you should be able to find USA models which correspond to the International models.

Dahua Technology USA
Dahua Technology | B&H Photo Video

The options are to buy from a US retailer who may stand behind the product for nearly twice the price, or buy it directly from china and save. Andy does stand behind the products he sells, and has even replaced defective units. There are a few other places in the U.S. that sell unbranded Dahua cameras without a warranty, but they tend to be the older models. The cameras discussed below should eventually become available via a similar distribution chain.

Dahua International (Non-US) Camera Model Options
Dahua 2 MP Starlight Lineup Thread Bullets are much larger than the turrets, but also have alarm and audio inputs and outputs

Optimal Dahua Turret as of 6/2017: Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret IPC-HDW5231R-Z

2.7~12 mm (f1.4), FOV: H: 97°~34°, V: 52°~20° $170.04 (as of 7/26/17)

Dahua Link Data Sheet Quick Start Guide Manual Review Link Purchase Link

Bullet version of above: Dahua Starlight Varifocal Bullet IPC-HFW5231E-Z

2.7~12 mm (f1.4), FOV: H: 97°~34°, V: 52°~20° $191.89 (as of 7/26/17)

Optimal Dahua Bullet as of 6/2017: Dahua Starlight Varifocal Bullet IPC-HFW5231E-Z5

7~35 mm (f1.4), FOV: H: 35°~12°, V: 19°~7° $203.29 (as of 7/26/17)

Better than IPC-HFW5231E-Z due to greater zoom range

Alternate Dahua Bullet as of 6/2017: Dahua Starlight Varifocal Bullet IPC-HFW5231E-Z12

5.3~64mm (f1.4) FOV: H: 59°~5°, V: 34°~3° $220.00 (as of 7/26/17)

Greatest zoom range of the bullet cameras

Dahua Link Data Sheet Quick Start Guide Manual Z5 Zoom Comparison Purchase Link

_____________________________________________________________________________________

The below updated versions may require specialized Dahua “E-PoE” NVR or switches which will allow the power to reach 800 meters over the cable. Pricing is expected to be a little than the versions above. For normal home use, the original variants above are good enough.

Updated Dahua Turret: Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret IPC-HDW5231R-ZE

2.7~13.5 mm (f1.4), FOV: H: 101°~31°, V: 54°~17° $????? (not in store as of 7/26/17)

They increased the zoom range slightly

Dahua Link Data Sheet Quick Start Guide Manual Review Link (TBD) Purchase Link

Updated Bullet version of above: Dahua Starlight Varifocal Bullet IPC-HFW5231E-ZE

2.7~13.5 mm (f1.4), FOV: H: 101°~31°, V: 54°~17° $????? (not in store as of 7/26/17)

They increased the zoom range slightly

Updated Optimal Dahua Bullet: Dahua Starlight Varifocal Bullet IPC-HFW5231E-Z5E

7~35 mm (f1.4), FOV: H: 35°~12°, V: 19°~7° $????? (not in store as of 7/26/17)

Same zoom and FOV, so what changed?

Updated Alternate Dahua Bullet: Dahua Starlight Varifocal Bullet IPC-HFW5231E-Z12E

5.3~64mm (f1.4) FOV: H: 59°~5°, V: 34°~3° $????? (not in store as of 7/26/17)

Same zoom and FOV, so what changed?

Dahua NVR Information
Dahua 4K 8/16/32 Channel (Non-PoE) Network Video Recorder (Requires you to provide PoE power sources)

Dahua Site Information Link Data Sheet Thread Link
Purchase Link: NVR5216-4KS2 ($238.00) NVR5232-4KS2 ($265)

Dahua 4K 16/32 Channel (PoE) Network Video Recorder

Dahua Site Information Link Data Sheet Review Thread

Purchase Link: NVR5216-16P-4KS2 ($340.00) NVR5232-16P-4KS2 ($375)

Here is a link to the 20170418 firmware, which has both Dahua and General (non-branded) GUI versions. Here is a link to the thread discussing this firmware, which has not been posted on the Dahua site, as of 7/17/17. Note: These do not come with hard drives.

PoE vs Non-PoE NVR’s

Infrastructure

A PoE NVR requires cables from each camera to the NVR. With a non-PoE NVR, the PoE switch(es) can be installed closer to the camera locations, with shorter cable runs for reduced power loss vs longer cable runs.

Camera Access

A PoE NVR will automatically create a separate network (subnet) for your IP cameras, which is a good security practice. This increases the difficulty accessing the camera configuration directly; the computer will have to be set to the same subnet as the cameras, as detailed here. However, you can configure many of the camera settings using a GUI directly from the NVR, but some setup items (i.e. formatting & setting up an on-board Micro SD card) require direct camera access.

With a non-PoE NVR, it is easier to access each camera for configuration, as everything is on the same subnet, but the cameras are also exposed to the internet, and should be secured.

Ease of use

A PoE NVR is a simple plug-n-play setup, but is also less flexible and harder to work with. Some of the Dahua PoE NVR limitations are: No virtual hosts, no direct way to connect to the cameras, some camera setup options are not accessible like, zoom level, local Micro SD card, advanced exposure settings, etc., and the inability to use NTP timesync. In short, a non-PoE NVR is best for tweakers.

NVR GUI Management

Dahua offers free software called Smart Professional Surveillance System (SmartPSS) for managing and viewing cameras and NVR recordings; it is a good option, and can be downloaded here, and an excellent in-depth tutorial can be viewed here. You can also connect directly to the NVR's web interface from a computer, or connect a mouse directly to the NVR and use a connected display to manage it.

Event Triggers

Dahua features Intelligent Video Systems (IVS), which and is an event triggering system (intrusion, tripwire, abandoned object, missing object, etc.). The signal is a proprietary command and connection methodology between the camera and NVR, so it only works with Dahua NVR’s.

Past Dahua NVR IVS Issues Solved by 2017-04-18 NVR firmware, as noted in this thread.

There used to be issues with random reboots after IVS trigger events, as detailed here, and with how Dahua NVR’s handled the recording of IVS events, but these issues were reportedly fixed in an April, 2017 firmware update. Below is information on the solved NVR Recording issue, as confirmed here:

The NVR makes separate recordings for these clips, but, there are 1-2 seconds of skipped audio/video at the beginning of these clips. It is a problem with the way Dahua implements their event recording algorithm in all their IP cameras and NVR’s. Unless Dahua changes how they record (and start new video files when the camera sends an iframe), I don't think this can be fixed. Alternatively, use one of the work-arounds mentioned in this thread, some of which are mentioned below.

Work arounds include reducing the maximum time of the gap down to one second by changing (on the camera) the iframe interval to match the value of your FPS. By default, the camera's iFrame setting is 2x FPS, which means you can have to up a maximum of a two second gap. Another option is to turn off event video recording, keep continuous recording, and store a jpeg snapshot on event triggers (ivs, motion, etc.). This provides a time line of events you can look at when scrolling through the video recording.

When recording continuously, you can also filter by event duration: Go to Setup -> Information -> Log, then search for event only, and you will see a list of all the events by time and date. With begin and end time, I can find events that have a longer time-frame that may be worth checking, as the shorter time-frame events are mostly false triggers. This is one method I used to check events on cameras that I don't wanted to be alerted by unless I suspect some suspicious activity occurred.

General LAN Security Recommendations
Change the default username/password on your cameras and all devices on your network. Isolate cameras from the internet to dramatically reduce the attack surface and the threat to your network. Isolate the cameras from your LAN if some users should not be able to access the NVR or cameras. To isolate cameras, use either a Virtual LAN (VLAN)-capable router or a router with independently configurable ports, and static IP address routes defined in the firewall. See this Network Security Primer and this VPN Primer by forum member nayr for further details.

With the proper router firewall rules set up in the proper order, cameras can be protected and still be useful (email notifications) with accurate time (NTP time server access). For example, if you allow email and/or NTP time server communication, put those rules above any “block all traffic” rule. Firewalls stop processing rules when it finds the first one it encounters. NTP time servers require access to port 123/UDP, so if the time server is outside the LAN subnet where your cameras reside, this port would need to be allowed through the firewall. Also block the easy4ip service in your router, as it ignored being disabled in the camera prior to the 2017 firmware release.

The Ubiquity EdgRouter product line has independent LAN ports that can be configured with different subnets. The most affordable option is the Ubiquity EdgeRouter X ($50.00 as of 7/6/17). They also feature OpenVPN compatibility, and there are instructions available on how to set this up, as noted below. Updated: I spent about 50 hours getting this set up on my EdgeRouter, as I had a steep learning curve with Command Line Interfaces (CLI). I created a detailed step-by-step guide for myself, and am willing to share the document; just let me know (@giomania on IPCamTalk).

Edge Router Lite as Standalone VPN Server

EdgeRouter Lite OpenVPN setup

Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite Setup Part 5: OpenVPN Setup

Blue Iris Server with Dual LAN
Concept & Configuration

Similar to the way Dahua NVR’s use a separate subnet for the cameras, you can set up a Blue Iris computer the same way by using two network interfaces. If the motherboard on the computer does not have dual LAN interfaces, and there is a spare PCI-E slot, just get an additional Network Interface Card (NIC), like this one. Use one of the network interfaces for your secure LAN, and the other one for the non-secure camera LAN. The Blue Iris PC needs to have access to Ethernet cables for both of the secure and non-secure networks, which need to be on different subnets; i.e. 192.168.1.X secure, and 192.168.0.X non-secure. If you use any managed switches on your network, ensure their IP Address is changed accordingly.

The non-secure network would connect to the PoE switch w/all your cameras, which should all be configured with static IP addresses, and no Gateway (internet) access. With this configuration, only the Blue Iris server will be able to access both the (secure) LAN and the (non-secure) camera network. Further, devices on the secure LAN cannot access the cameras, and the non-secure camera network cannot access the secure LAN or the Internet.

The Blue Iris computer acts as the time server for the cameras, and the cameras point to the secure LAN IP address for this computer (i.e. 192.168.1.X secure). To allow the communication from the cameras to the time server IP address, set a rule to allow port 123/UDP to pass through the firewall of the non-secure network, or turn it off completely.

Viewing Cameras Remotely

Use Google Remote Desktop to view the Blue Iris computer without having to forward port(s) in the router. The Blue Iris computer can be used to view individual cameras, as well as clips and videos saved. You can also use Google Remote Desktop to log into the cameras separately via the web interface, for configuration purposes. All this is possible because Google Remote Desktop is a connection to the desktop of the computer that has access to both the (secure) LAN and the (non-secure) camera network. Google Remote Desktop, TeamViewer, and similar software do NAT traversal by keeping a connection active to a remote server that can be used to connect to your computer, just like he P2P function on many cameras. Unfortunately, using a remote desktop application will significantly increase CPU utilization.

Alternatively, here is a link to a custom remote viewing solution for Blue Iris created by @bp2008.

Viewing Cameras at Home

If you want to log into the web interface of your camera without using Google Remote Desktop, use the computer that has access to both the (secure) LAN and the (non-secure) camera network. Alternatively, use the “Remote Desktop” apps native to both Windows and OSX. From a security perspective, it would not be a good idea to use a computer temporarily connected to the (non-secure) camera network, as it defeats the purpose of having separate networks.

Blue Iris Information
Dahua IVS events will not work with Blue Iris as of July, 2017, but Blue Iris has advanced motion detection.

Minimum System Requirements

Pentium dual-core or equivalent 2GHz processor or better, but it must have Intel® Quick Sync

2GB or more system RAM

Microsoft Windows XP SP3 or newer, or a server OS

One or more USB or Network IP cameras, or an analog capture card with DirectShow drivers

Recommendations when using many and/or HD cameras:

Intel core i7 with QuickSync for hardware decoding

8GB or more RAM

Microsoft Windows 8.1 or 10, 64 bit

nVIDIA graphics adaptor for efficient screen display

7200+ RPM drives and/or SSD drive

Computer for Blue Iris

General Blue Iris (BI) Tips
BI Hardware Tips

Monitor Blue Iris CPU usage, and keep it below 100% under normal circumstances, so there is headroom for other functions, i.e. remote viewing, clip exports, Windows defender (ugh), etc... Recompressing video is very CPU intensive, and Blue Iris’ “Direct-to-disk” (Camera properties > record > file format) recording does not recompress video; it maintains original video quality and reduces CPU usage. This feature requires an Intel processor with Intel Quick Sync.

Further reduce CPU load by reducing the camera's frame rate to 10-15 FPS in the web interface. Go into Blue Iris Options > Cameras tab (same place the hardware acceleration option is) and limit the live preview rate to ~10 FPS to reduce your CPU usage. This setting is important for optimal performance, as Blue Iris is really slow at drawing video on screen.

BI Performance Tips

1. Use a computer dedicated only to BI.

2. If running BI as a service and the admin window is also open, it doubles the CPU requirements.

3. Using Remote Desktop to view the admin window also additional requires additional CPU resources.

4. Don’t duplicate camera profiles in BI; you can record continuously and trigger motion alerts from the same camera setup, and export any portion of a clip.

5. Use “Direct-to-disk” (Camera properties > record > file format)

6. Turn on the Intel hardware acceleration (Options > Cameras > Item 4)

7. Turn off time, text, and graphic overlays in BI (use the camera’s) to avoid additional post processing. Camera Settings > Video > Text and Graphic Overlays, "Edit"... select the time stamp and delete.

8. Exclude blueiris.exe and the folders from your antivirus program (see help in bi for more details).

9. Monitor other processes (windows task manager-all users) to see what else is using CPU resources. Windows defender is a CPU hog in Windows 10, so consider permanently disabling it, as shown here. Also, sometimes web browser plugins don't shut down as they should.

HDD Recommendations & Information
WD Purple drives are recommended for either the Dahua NVR’s or a Blue Iris setup; buy the largest capacity you can afford. The Dahua 5216 NVR max size is listed at 12TB (2x6TB), but larger drives do work, so there is no size limit. Estimate about 1.25 TB per camera for 30 days of recording, but usually, 10 days of history is enough for an incident.

There are so many factors that affect the storage: Compression codec, resolution, number of sub streams, FPS, bit rate, audio, audio codec, audio sampling rate, humidity, etc. Here is an example setup with 30 Days of history for 6 cameras:

NVR5216
(2x) 4TB WD Purple (8TB)
(6x) Cams at 1080P Main Streams in H.265 / 20 FPS / CBR at 4096 / G117a Audio at 16K
3 recording 720P Sub Streams in H.265 / CBR at 2048 / G117a Audio at 8K
3 recording D1 Sub Streams in H.265 / CBR at 1024 / G117a Audio at 8K
Humidity at 50%

WD Purple 4TB Surveillance Hard Disk Drive - 5400 RPM Class SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD40PURZ - $146.69 (7/6/17)

WD Purple 6TB Surveillance Hard Disk Drive - 5400 RPM Class SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD60PURZ - $212.35 (7/6/17)

Micro SD Card Recommendations & Information
Software/Disk Calculator - Dahua Wiki

Forum member nayr recommends Samsung EVO+, and records continuously to SD storage as a backup to utilize the NVR Automatic Network Recovery (ANR) feature, which retrieves any lost data the cameras may contain after an NVR outage. Note, this doesn’t work with BI; you would need to pull the footage using the web interface. These cameras use ~9+ Mbps with h.264, and ~5+ Mbps with h.265

For h.264, a 64 Gb card is good for ~24 hours @ 5736 Kbps (Max bitrate for 10FPS), and 128 Gb for ~48 hours.
For h.265, a 32 Gb card is good for ~24 hours @ 5736 Kbps (Max bitrate for 10FPS), and 64 Gb for ~48 hours.

Amazon Purchase Links – Watch out for counterfeit sellers!

Samsung SDXC 64GB Class 10 UHS-1 Memory Card w/ Adapter, (MB-MC64DA/AM) – (~$28)

Samsung 128GB EVO Plus UHS-i Class 10 Micro SDXC Card with Adapter up to 80MB/s (MB-MC128D) – (~$56)

PoE Injector Recommendations

Single Port 30W PoE+ Injector BV-Tech POE-I100G Gigabit (Black) $20.99 as of 7/6/17

Got a single ethernet cable and want to install multiple PoE Cameras?

1 to 4 PoE+ to PoE Extender OdiySurveil OM15121101 $33.69 as of 7/6/17 (Requires PoE+ Input)

PoE Switch Recommendations
4-Port PoE Switch BV-Tech POE-SW501 10/100Mbps $37.99 as of 7/6/17

8-Port PoE Switch BV-TECH 8 Port 120W 10/100Mbps $69.99 as of 7/6/17

Poe+ (802.3at) capable switches can be considerably more expensive than PoE (802.3af), but look at the “V7” brand of switches below:

4-Port PoE+ Switch TRENDnet TPE-TG44G, 4 x Gigabit PoE/PoE+ Ports, 4 x Gigabit Ports $74.99 as of 7/6/17

8-Port PoE+ Switch V7 PEGS8-1N 8 PORT Gigabit PoE+ 120W $37.06 as of 8/1/17 Specifications

8-Port PoE+ Switch BV-Tech POE-SW800G 8 Port Gigabit PoE+ 130W $109.99 as of 7/6/17

8-Port PoE+ Switch TP-Link TL-SG1008PE 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ 124W $119.99 as of 7/6/17

8-Port PoE+ & 2-Port Non-PoE Switch Netis PE6110 10-Port Gigabit PoE+ 124W $89.99 as of 7/6/17

8-Port PoE+ & 8-Port Non-PoE Switch Linksys LGS116P 16-Port Gigabit PoE+ 80W $158.25 as of 7/6/17

16-Port PoE+ Switch V7 PEGS16-1N 16 PORT Gigabit PoE+ 120W $85.21 as of 8/1/17 Specifications

PoE Splitter Recommendations
DSLRKIT PoE+ Splitter Adapter $8.99 as of 7/6/17 (long shipping time from China)

Power Output: DC12V (2A, 24W)

Xenocam 101D PoE+ Splitter Adapter $18.99 as of 7/6/17 (identical to above item)

Power Output: DC12V (2A, 24W)

SMAKN® Gigabit PoE+ Splitter Adapter $36.90 as of 7/6/17

Output: 5VDC (3.5A), 12VDC (2A, 24W), 18VDC (1A)

TP-Link TL-PoE10R Gigabit PoE Splitter Adapter $4.39 as of 7/6/17

Power output: 5VDC (2A), 9VDC (1A), 12VDC (1A, 12W)

TRENDnet TPE-104GS (Version v1.1R) Gigabit PoE Splitter Adapter $14.99 AS OF 7/6/17

Power output: 5 VDC (2A), 7.5 VDC (2A), 9 VDC (1.7 A), 12 VDC (1.2A, 14.4W)

External IR Light Recommendations
The 5231's built-in IR lights performance suffers at wider angles, as the light is concentrated in the center of the image. A solution to this issue is to add external IR lighting pointed at the area that may be lacking; here are some recommendations:

I've had good luck with this 4-LED, 12W IR light $11.99 (as of 7/6/17) on Amazon; it is IP65 outdoor rated, 12V with 4 LED's and 130 foot range and a photocell.

I went and ordered this 6-LED, 12W IR Light $21.99 (as of 7/6/17), which seemed to have good reviews and is an Amazon best seller.

To power the above lights, you can use a separate low-voltage power supply adapter, or a PoE+ splitter like this one to break the power out of the Ethernet cable, and then this Y connector to power the camera and the light simultaneously.

The IPC-HDW5231R-Z camera uses <8.5W, and the lights referenced above require 12W, so 20.5W total power is required from a PoE power source. Therefore, only a PoE+ Injector / NVR / Switch and a PoE+ splitter/adapter will have enough power for both the camera and these IR lights, as detailed below.

The original IEEE 802.3af-2003 PoE standard provides up to 15.4 W of DC power on each port. Only 12.95 W is assured to be available at the powered device as some power dissipates in the cable.

The updated IEEE 802.3at-2009 PoE standard also known as PoE+ or PoE plus, provides up to 25.5 W of power on each port.

I tried three IR lights from Univivi; the 6-LED, 12W IR Light noted above, this 12-LED, 24W IR Light $36.00 (as of 7/6/17), and this 18-LED, 24W IR Light $46.00 (as of 7/6/17). While all three models advertise 90-Degree Wide Angle IR, 6-LED model is a bit more of a concentrated spot light. I think the 12-LED version is the best of the three. If any one of them does not work, you can still return it as, as they are from the same Amazon seller + Prime, with no hassle returns. Note the 12-LED and 18-LED version come with a separate power adapter.

Camera Mounting Options
Siding Mounting

Mounting Blocks for siding - The Home Depot

Builders Edge 6.625 in. x 6.625 #001 White Triple 3-Surface Block-130110007001 - The Home Depot

– This was recommended for use with the PFA203 wall mount; check link above for other colors, or scroll down in this link to see the other colors available.

Builders Edge 6.625-in x 6.625-in White Vinyl Universal Mounting Block - Lowes

– This was recommended for use with the PFA203 wall mount; check link above for other colors.

Soffit Mounting

If your soffit will support the camera, then this can be a good option, either with or without the PF137 junction box. Soffits can be hollow, and therefore may require some sort of wood backing inserted to support the camera. In the newer homes, soffits can be a plastic type of material with interlocking joints that snap into place, making it easy to remove to install a piece of backing material for support. With a traditional wood frame roof construction, a 3” screw can catch part of the wood roof trusses inside the soffit.

An electrician friend recommended these for soffits from the Depot for $14. They are two piece and spread between the trusses. You only cut out a 4" hole and feed the spreader through. The J-Box attaches after and provides cable protection. The camera would screw right in to the J-box and cover the hole you cut.

15.5 cu. in. Retrofit Ceiling Fan Saf-T-Brace-0110000 - The Home Depot

Wall Mounting

Dome Wall-Mount Options

Link to Empire Tech's Ali Express Store - Dahua Brackets

Caveman said:

Can this be mounted flat against a horizontal wall, or do you need to buy the mount?

Options:
a) Mount directly on wall - drill 3/4" hole - connect cat5e/cat6 within the wall or attic (~16-18" of cable to the end of the connector)

b) Use a junction box or wall mount to mount the camera. Make a smaller hole for the category cable in the wall OR use a conduit, and connect the cables within the junction box.

All Dahua Products and Mounting Solutions

I like this one. Easier to find the right solution. Page 46 for the HDW5231R-Z

http://www1.dahuasecurity.com/download/2017_Q1_IP_VIDEO_PRODUCT_SELECTION_2.15_LOW.pdf

Dahua Mount Details

- PFA137 ~$9.69 through AliExpress Empire Technology Co., Ltd
View attachment 21187

Material

Aluminum

Dimension

φ122x34.2mm

Inch Thread

M20(G1/2”)

- PFB203W ~$14.72 through AliExpress Empire Technology Co., Ltd
View attachment 21188

Material

Aluminum

Dimension (L x W x H)

160mmx 122mm x 76mm

For the HFWxxR-Z series bullet cameras, this box works, apparently

- PFA121 ~$24.31 through AliExpress Empire Technology Co., Ltd
View attachment 21189

Material

Aluminum

Dimension (W x D x H)

134mm x 134mm x 55mm

Pipe Thread

M20(G1/2”)

[note: If Andy is out of stock, check Jimbu on Aliexpress - if you purchase enough they will DHL the shipment.]

Weatherproofing The PFA 137 Junction Box

This junction box won't be waterproof with at turret camera installed on it. There still opening around the turret where water can get into the junction box, if you want it to be waterproof then you need to find a solution.

You can caulk around the whole turret to seal it in if done neatly without getting it on the lens. After caulking, you won’t be able to do any more adjustment without breaking the caulk re-caulking it.

Best option is a lid for the junction box and install the turret on top of the lid. Just get a either 1/16” or 1/8” solid plastic sheet and use the junction box to make an outline on the plastic. Cut out the outline and use turret mount to mark the screw holes and drill out the holes.

Then you will need to drill a ¾” hole in center of the lid to run the Ethernet cable thru it.

Either seal center hole with silicone II chalk or use a rubber grommet to seal it up. You can check my surveillance build thread in installation forum on how I sealed my Ethernet cable thru the wall.

Just screw the turret down to the junction box with the lid in between. There no need to chalk the lid since the junction box already have a rubber seal around it.

Adjust turret and lock it down with security screw. It should be fully weather proofed or hose down proof too

Dahua Bracket Mounting Options

This gives you an idea of some possibilities.
View attachment 21190

Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z / IPC-HDW5231E-Z5 / IPC-HDW5231E-Z12 Details

View attachment 21191

View attachment 21192

Weatherproofing Connections

The included RJ-45 waterproof connector is OK, but it can be improved with Di-Electric grease in the connections: Permatex 22058 Dielectric Tune-Up Grease, 3 oz. Tube | Amazon, as well as wrapping the end with self-sealing silicon tape: 3M Scotch 2228 Rubber Mastic Electrical Tape 50727-BA-5 Home Depot Universal Electronics Original # 104 Coax Seal | Amazon

You can find RJ-45 waterproof connectors on Amazon and ebay, but these require you to cut and re-terminate the camera’s connector, and it Dahua doesn’t appear to have standardized wire colors, as noted here, so it is probably not worth the trouble.
CNBTR LAN RJ45 AP Female to Female Adapter Waterproof connector M25 Ethernet | Amazon
0-24V DC LAN RJ45 M25 Ethernet AP Waterproof connector 8 core for double cable | eBay
View attachment 21193

Set Screw Info
If you drop one and can’t find it: The size is #10-32 x 3/8", A 2-pack was $0.90 at my local Home Depot

View attachment 21194

Blue Iris Mobile App Viewing Options
What apps do you guys use to access your cameras?

Blue Iris Mobile app to access Blue Iris for recordings, etc., but I also use IP Cam Viewer Pro.

On Android, TinyCam works well for live view only.

I use the Blue Iris mobile app on my iPhone and iPad. I have tried others but I like the similar interface with Blue Iris. I used IPcam viewer for a bit, but did not like its performance.

I tend to find the apps cumbersome so I use the web interface. I never particularly liked Blue Iris's remote view web pages. They work, but they lack the simplicity and ease-of-use that I wanted. So I made better ones, as detailed here.

Dahua Camera Desktop Viewing / Management
Dahua offers free software called Smart Professional Surveillance System (SmartPSS) for managing and viewing cameras and NVR recordings; it is a good option, and can be downloaded here, and an excellent in-depth tutorial can be viewed here.

Dahua Camera Mobile App Viewing Options
How to view Dahua cameras with SmartPhone

gDMSS Lite - Android Apps on Google Play
gDMSS Plus - Android Apps on Google Play
iDMSS Lite on the App Store
iDMSS Plus on the App Store

The plus versions are most useful if you have a Dahua NVR and want to use the push notifications, which can be more useful than email notifications. Also check out the VPN Primer for Noobs

I've used IP Cam Viewer Lite and it seems to be a good free stable app.

On Android, TinyCam Pro works well too. If you turn on "Low Bandwidth Mode", it will correctly pull the sub stream, required for viewing outside of the LAN. Apparently, the channel setting actually changes the channel number on the URL and not the subtype setting. Low bandwidth mode correctly changes the subtype to the sub stream.

How to Setup Push Notifications on the IDMSS Mobile Application

Mobile/iDMSS Push Notifications - Dahua Wiki

This is the paid "PLUS" version for IDMSS (IoS, $4.99) / GDMSS (Android, $4.99). For push notifications to work you must have "Event/Motion" and or "Alarm" enabled from the "Device Manager" in the main menu of IDMSS/GDMSS paid application. Follow the step by step instructions below to setup push notifications.

Dahua Camera Best Practices
Inspired by this post

Cameras infected with malware can cause issues when attempting firmware updates, so connect the camera directly to your PC and disable the internet connection before applying updates. For installed cameras where direct connection to your PC is not possible, disable your home internet service while updating. If you have issues accessing the camera web GUI, but it responds to pings, malware is probably blocking connection attempts. Strictly adhering to the instructions below might help regain access. If you think the camera is bricked, try following the instructions in Dahua IPC EASY unbricking / recovery over TFTP

Older firmware can have security issues, so upgrade to the latest firmware in post #1 of this thread. While you may see newer firmware releases posted, @nayr tests the versions posted, so if you don’t need to have the latest, just use these. Also disable auto reboot in Setup > System > Auto Maintain.

It is good practice to prevent the cameras from connecting to the Internet, either via DMZ/UPNP/Port forwarding in the router, as it can cause issues with too many connection attempts from the Internet, especially if they have malware. To disable the internet connection completely, set a false gateway IP address outside the DHCP range in Setup > Network > TCP/IP. Note: Leaving it blank will cause an error message when trying to save.
View attachment 21195

As an extra measure, block the camera IP / MAC addresses in your router firewall rules. The cameras should only communicate with the local LAN and/or the VPN LAN, if your router is set up as a VPN Server.
View attachment 21196

For some limited internet access, also use the router firewall rules, ensuring they are in the proper order. If you allow email and/or NTP time server communication, put that rule above any “block all traffic” rule. Firewalls stop processing rules when it finds the first one it encounters. Also consider blocking easy4ip in your router, as it ignored being disabled in the camera prior to the 2017 firmware release.
View attachment 21197

Dahua Camera Initial Setup
1. Preparation – Before Disabling The Internet Connection

If using a password manager, generate the random password while you have an internet connection; you will copy and paste it in step 6. Access any links in the instructions below you may need, and download the current firmware posted here; Use either NTSC or PAL; they both work on the international model cameras. While you may find newer firmware releases, @nayr tested the version posted in the link.

2. Disable The Internet Connection On the Computer

Take note of your internet adapter settings so you can revert back after the camera is set up. Disable the internet connection on your PC/Mac by removing the Gateway IP address. If the PC/Mac is on a different subnet than 192.168.1.x, you need to change the IP address to 192.168.1.100, and the Subnet Mask to 255.255.255.0 as detailed here.

3. Power the camera via PoE

Connect the ethernet port from your computer to the ethernet port on a PoE Injector / Switch, and then connect the PoE port on a PoE Injector / Switch to the camera’s ethernet connection. Some PoE switches use auto-sensing ports to detect whether or not a device is PoE compatible; in this case, the PC / Mac can be plugged into a PoE labeled port.

4. Power the camera via Low-Voltage Adapter

Power the camera with any 12V/1A power supply with a 2.1 diameter x 5.5mm long barrel plug via the camera’s power connector. Connect the ethernet port on your computer to the camera’s ethernet port.

5. Log Into The Camera

Open your web browser and go to http://192.168.1.108, login with username: admin, password: admin

6. Change the Default Password

After logging in, the UI opens a page where you can change the default password.

7. Change Network Settings

Go into Setup > Network > TCP/IP, and configure the settings for your LAN. Recommendation: Set a static IP Address, and prevent the cameras from connecting directly to the internet by setting a false gateway IP Address outside the DHCP range; leaving the field blank causes an error message when trying to save. Save the settings, power-cycle the camera, and re-connect it to your LAN. Note: The MAC address printed on the camera mount sticker may be different than what is listed in the web interface.

8. Re-Enable The Internet Connection On the Computer

Revert to the initial settings noted in step 2 above.

Dahua cameras have two different "admin" accounts; one for "ONVIF", and one for "users" logging into the camera. However, sometimes it only changes the “user” account in step 6 above. The “ONVIF” admin account doesn't appear in the camera Web UI (Setup > System > Account); manage it with Dahua’s ONVIF Device Manager tool, along with these instructions (For Step 1, use the default “admin” password). It is worth checking to verify and correct the password. For optimal security, set different passwords for the "ONVIF", and "user" admin accounts.

Accessing The Dahua Camera Live View Interface
Firefox, IE, and Safari: Use NPAPI plugin.

Firefox 52: How to Re-Enable NPAPI Plugin Support (i.e. Java)

Chrome: Use the NACL Web Plugin;

https://dahuawiki.com/Troubleshoot/NVR/How_To_Install_Chrome_Extension

Once installed, to open up the NacL plugin, go to a new tab and select Apps on the Bookmarks Bar.

Brick Recovery
If you inadvertently brick your camera while upgrading, follow the recovery thread: Dahua IPC EASY unbricking / recovery over TFTP

Factory Default

If it is necessary ResetIPCamera - Dahua Wiki

Sometimes the factory tests the cameras and don't put them back to factory settings. Hold the reset button down and apply power. Holding it down during the boot process should wipe out the existing configuration file and reboot the camera. Note: Sometimes, the cameras don’t have the button soldered onto the board, so you have to short the two solder points instead.

The IPC-HDW5231R-Z housing taken apart to insert a SD card; it is spring-loaded and clicks in. Be careful, as the wires preventing total separation of the two halves are short. The reset button is on the left side.

View attachment 21198

I just bought 2 cameras from Andy, but I have problems with the installation. My router IP is 192.168.2.254 and I cannot find the camera on my LAN. I cannot connect the camera directly to my PC, because my PC (Macbook Pro) hasn't got an ethernet connection. Now I am stuck. Any suggestions?

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I did, but the tools doesn't recognize the camera. It says: "0 devices are found"
The default IP address of the camera should be 192.168.1.108. Set a static IP address of your laptop wireless adapter to 192.168.1.X and then browse to 192.168.1.108 then change the IP address to one in your routers range and then remove the static from your laptop. I think that should work. I could have sworn that is what I did.

SeanO

n3wb
Reaction score
@linze Setup one camera at a time because they default to same static IP addresses. Set up one first and either change the IP address or set i tto DHCP.

linze

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for your help. I am a couple of steps further. I managed to get into the Dahua setup screen using the suggestion of Philip . Now I want to change the IP address to 192.168.2.201 but I get the message: "It failed to save. The subnet mask is illegal". I also changed the default gateway to the IP-address of my router.
And I still cannot find the camera with the Config Tool or the Smart PSS. Any suggestions?