Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here is an animated image showing WDR on @ 50% and WDR Off (might need chrome to view this):

it really helps flatten out the shadows, look at how much more detail is inside the climbing wall.. It looks more accurate w/WDR off but with it on it helps squash shade so everything is exposed well in dynamic lighting.

Attachments

Last edited:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
generally yeah, gives you some place to shove the wiring pigtail so the damage done durring install it is minimal.. but it can be done with or without em, if your running conduit then you'll need em.. as they are larger than standard electrical boxes from your LHS.

FlipNJ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Did it go smoothly?
Money has been debited from my account and haven't heard anything. Been 3 days and I still haven't received any notifications that it has been shipped. Im very impatient though lol. Andy said he can ship super fast but maybe he doesn't like me. Haha

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Money has been debited from my account and haven't heard anything. Been 3 days and I still haven't received any notifications that it has been shipped. Im very impatient though lol. Andy said he can ship super fast but maybe he doesn't like me. Haha
@EMPIRETECANDY last post in this thread indicated he spent all night shipping these cameras out and when he went to bed he had caught up with all orders made before December 20th, your still in line.. he had a large backlog to get through and ppl here have been waiting longer than you have.. He hasent even caught up with everything yet due to the high demand for this camera but I suspect he will soon with as fast as he's catching up.. lots of guys placed there orders in November.

We'll be seeing a large flood of these cameras finally start appearing in our members hands in the coming days and weeks.. I believe he has several hundred in stock right now.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
@EMPIRETECANDY last post in this thread indicated he spent all night shipping these cameras out and when he went to bed he had caught up with all orders made before December 20th, your still in line.. he had a large backlog to get through and ppl here have been waiting longer than you have.. He hasent even caught up with everything yet due to the high demand for this camera but I suspect he will soon with as fast as he's catching up.. lots of guys placed there orders in November.

We'll be seeing a large flood of these cameras finally start appearing in our members hands in the coming days and weeks.. I believe he has several hundred in stock right now.
Hey Nayr, did you see my question about a chart of some sort that tells you what bitrate to use on a particular camera based on various settings and all.

FlipNJ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

Glad you pay attention, I didn't catch it. Thanks for the reasoning man. Certainly don't mind waiting my turn. Just so tired of my crappy cam Im using. BTW, I was only up to the 21st page of the thread and jumped the gun before reading to the end.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@hmjgriffon I do not have such a thing, HDD storage is cheap and I typically run everything high bitrate until I am under space constraints again.. then its just tuning it until you notice negative impact and backing off a little.. generally you can drop a few Mbit from maximum quality before you really notice any degradation in quality.

Walk Tests are critical, dont ever judge a camera by its still image capabilities.. anytime you play with settings make sure to test it both day and night to make sure you didnt make things worse; I take alot of screenshots and compare head to head with a critical eye for detail.

TVT73

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Here is a snapshot of the maximum lowlight weather watching from today with no moon and clear water.
It's from an ipc-4421EP-AS with custom range 0-333 and gain 0-100, 3dnr at 80.
IR power is at 10 manual
It's ok and not bad. But I will be sure nothing against this new one. hdw-4421EM-AS - 2016-12-30 00.46.32.jpg
I hope my order will also be arrive soon.

Tic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My dad's IPC-HDW5231R-Z arrived yesterday from Andy / BEC and we put it up today watching a gate. Here are snapshots at both extremes of the zoom range.
Stunning...looks like they were taken from a DSLR!

I ordered two a few days ago by way of Paypal...didn't get the tracking yet but who cares as long as it's Andy...I'm all good. :)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here is a snapshot of the maximum lowlight weather watching from today with no moon and clear water.
It's from an ipc-4421EP-AS with custom range 0-333 and gain 0-100, 3dnr at 80.
IR power is at 10 manual
It's ok and not bad. But I will be sure nothing against this new one. View attachment 13477
I hope my order will also be arrive soon.
thats pretty good; but yeah I think this cam is going to spank that 4MP Dahua all over the place.. cant wait to see what you accomplish, Ive been thinking of putting one of these up on the fireplace so I can watch stars/weather/air traffic and mebe some occasional bolides.. wish I had a mountain view; been waiting for someone living on the edge of a valley to get one for webcam use.. if you open the shutters all the way on these cameras they can get some really amazing night quality in full color

Wonder if intrusion detection will work against meteorites

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
JUST received 2 from Andy today...dumb question, but is there something special I have to do to find the IP?
It is connected to my poe switch and they are getting power but neither the IPs nor MAC numbers are showing up after using several port scanners.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

ahillla

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm new. I've been reading many posts and have learned a lot of good information. Does anyone know if the new series of Dahua cameras are on aliexpress yet? Specifically the
3 x 2 MP Multi-Sensor Panoramic Network IR Bullet Camera
DH-IPC-PFW8601N-H-A180

Looks like camera tech is ramping up!

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
JUST received 2 from Andy today...dumb question, but is there something special I have to do to find the IP?
It is connected to my poe switch and they are getting power but neither the IPs nor MAC numbers are showing up after using several port scanners.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
find the Quick Start Guide in the first post.. (hint: 192.168.1.108)

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm new. I've been reading many posts and have learned a lot of good information. Does anyone know if the new series of Dahua cameras are on aliexpress yet? Specifically the
3 x 2 MP Multi-Sensor Panoramic Network IR Bullet Camera
DH-IPC-PFW8601N-H-A180

Looks like camera tech is ramping up!
I messaged Andy about it, he said he could order one for me if i wanted it.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Does great for short distance LPR work, dont expect this to work miracles at distance but if you can get this up close it'll do the job.

Zoom: 2/3rds
Distance: ~25ft
Shutter: 1/1000
Gain: 40
3DNR: 33%
Target: Antique 1975 Colorado License Plate
IMAG0713.jpg

Results:
Galileo NVR-Dahua 2MP Starlight HDW5231R-Z-2016-12-29-18-22-27.jpg

Last edited:

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
find the Quick Start Guide in the first post.. (hint: 192.168.1.108)
I walked through the quick start guide and tried out the config tool.
I cannot connect to 192.168.1.108 (or 192.168.1.108:3777)
My little network scanner apps appear to only show anything in the ###.###.0.### range.
I had the cam connected to my POE switch. Then tried connecting it just to the modem ap/router from the DSL co. Still can't get to that address. I tried to ping it and it failed, (ping is pretty much the only "networking" function I know).

I read the user manual...It says , "use Config Tool to search IP of the network camera."
I could not see how to make the tool "search".

My Dahua PTZ cam a few weeks ago just appeared as 192.168.0.17 when it connected and just worked out of the box so I assumed the router (192.168.0.1) or the POE switch, (no idea of IP) just auto assigned an IP, I'd just look for the newest one to find it, and assumed they would all work that way.

Guess I need to somehow access .1.### IP range?
If they are all factory set to 1.108 and you connect 2 at a time as I did initially...what happens?

Guess I could use a pointer toward some IP 101 tutorial... I'm making this more complicated than it should be now....o_O

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
change your computer to a manual config of 192.168.1.100/255.255.255.0 temporary.. or change your current netmask to 255.255.0.0

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
change your computer to a manual config of 192.168.1.100/255.255.255.0 temporary.. or change your current netmask to 255.255.0.0
Ok thanks...So I did that and there it is...the log in. Cool (also I can finally log into my POE switch which I could not figure out as it was a 1.### also, so bonus!).

(Once I did that, I lost internet connection, so had to switch back again to reply here.)
So, do I next need to change the IP of the camera to some random 192.168.0.### number not yet used, switch my computer back and done?
Will DHCP reassign it a different 0.### anyway after that?

I did not see a section to change the IP in the web GUI but do see it in the config tool...Config tool also has a default gateway of 192.168.1.1.
Do I need to change that to 0.1?

I'm not supposed to keep my computer permanently assigned to 1.100 am I? I don't know the ramifications of that.
Does everyone have to go through this? I am assuming most computers default to a DHCP config which would always get 0.1 from their provider router?
...Thanks for the evening 101 hand holding....I prob should have made a separate thread for this.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here's the location of network config in WebUI; have to reboot the device for it to take effect after saving:
Screenshot 2016-12-29 19.58.06.png

If you do a static config you must assign an IP outside your DHCP Lease range; if you assign DHCP Lease you must assign a static mapping on the DHCP Server.. I do static DHCP Mappings.

Typically I connect to camera directly w/manual network config, set camera for dhcp, save&reboot.. then change my computer back to DHCP and go make a dhcp reservation for whatever new device just appeared on the network.. then I can add it to my NVR and know it'll always be at that IP.

Last edited: