Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
According to AliExpress you've moved ~120 cameras through your two store fronts so far, and thats not including side channel paypal orders.. all the other listings on Ali for this camera have moved a mere 16 units combined.. now that you have decent stocks and faster turn around I'd only expect that to grow faster than before.

We have a large audience here and this is why the elders of this forum wont tolerate members suggesting junk.. when a model becomes popular on these boards alot of cameras get sold and we dont want or need another Huisun MiniPTZ fiasco. (Over Hyped and then High Failure Rates started getting reported), Im confident Dahua wont let us down, its not there modus operandi.
I missed that fiasco. :(

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What bank do you use? Was it a large purchase? I bought one starlight turret and it went through my bank just fine.
Both times it was over $500. I use a local Credit Union. The first order, it went right through without me doing anything. This second time, AliExpress said my bank rejected it. I called the CU, they said yes they did. 5 minutes later, it was good to go.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I missed that fiasco. :(
Your fortunate, on paper they looked like the perfect lil home PTZ.. small w/good optics.. but every time there's been a heatwave and/or cold snap we've gotten several hardware failures.. also the firmware is crap and they brick themsleves when they get configured in certain ways.

seems like most of our users whom got one didnt manage to achieve a full year of use before they were trashed.. some people been lucky, but far too many have felt the burn.. The popular member whom introduced the junk on the forums got banned when his ego would not allow him to admit his cherished camera was a piece of shit.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Your fortunate, on paper they looked like the perfect lil home PTZ.. small w/good optics.. but every time there's been a heatwave and/or cold snap we've gotten several hardware failures.. also the firmware is crap and they brick themsleves when they get configured in certain ways.

seems like most of our users whom got one didnt manage to achieve a full year of use before they were trashed.. some people been lucky, but far too many have felt the burn.. The popular member whom introduced the junk on the forums got banned when his ego would not allow him to admit his cherished camera was a piece of shit.

hahahaha burrnnn, I'm thinking of that 2016 30x starlight ptz, we shall see how I like the turret when it gets here next week I hope.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you mount these flat, will the lens rotate and point 90 degrees to the wall?
the mount will allow it yes, but the IR Reflection from installing it like that will ruin the image at night.. you dont want any close up walls and stuff in view, the IR is pretty wide angle and with as light sensitive as this camera is installation may be a little tricky.. always test both day and night before actually installing.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
the mount will allow it yes, but the IR Reflection from installing it like that will ruin the image at night.. you dont want any close up walls and stuff in view, the IR is pretty wide angle and with as light sensitive as this camera is installation may be a little tricky.. always test both day and night before actually installing.
Well, if you mount it to say, an open wall near head level and not near a roof I assume that would be fine. I thought of another question you might be able to help with, I've gotten in my new blue iris server today, with these 2mp camera if I want to get the most quality out of them and I have the cpu cycles to spare, should I set them to constant bitrate, I believe that gives you a little better quality than variable? Also what max bitrate would be good? Any other tweaks that might use more cpu or bandwidth but would make the image better?

tygger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
According to the spec sheet, these are a bit larger than the 4421/4431 turrets. What bases you guys mounting these to? Ive been using generic round junction boxes from Home Depot, but these cams won't fit.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@hmjgriffon variable can save quite a bit of disk space if its a less important camera or your relying on onboard SD storage to get off the ground, but yeah for primary ID cameras I typically run fixed and near highest bitrate for max quality.. Substreams I run at variable as it helps alot when viewing remotely and locally with a grid of cams.

@tygger, PFA137 Junction box.. @EMPIRETECANDY keeps some in stock if you need em.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
@hmjgriffon variable can save quite a bit of disk space if its a less important camera or your relying on onboard SD storage to get off the ground, but yeah for primary ID cameras I typically run fixed and near highest bitrate for max quality.. Substreams I run at variable as it helps alot when viewing remotely and locally with a grid of cams.

@tygger, PFA137 Junction box.. @EMPIRETECANDY keeps some in stock if you need em.
Yeah I had these cams tweaked down to not kill the current computer but now I will have horse power :)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score

Yeah I had these cams tweaked down to not kill the current computer but now I will have horse power :) what bitrate are you running for the 2mp?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
since mine's not on primary ID duty its running: 15FPS/VBR/Quality 6/6656Kbps (basically max for VBR at this framerate).. Observed bitrate in SmartPSS right now in daytime is ~3300Kbps

I'm very pleased with the quality at these settings, my indoor Starlight is basically running at the same thing.

tygger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thx Nayr.

Andy, i sent you a message. Is there still a forum member special? Thx

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
since mine's not on primary ID duty its running: 15FPS/VBR/Quality 6/6656Kbps (basically max for VBR at this framerate).. Observed bitrate in SmartPSS right now in daytime is ~3300Kbps

I'm very pleased with the quality at these settings, my indoor Starlight is basically running at the same thing.
Is there a chart that gives you the bitrate you should set at certain settings? I think I had one at one time for hikvision but I assume it would be similar on every camera.

billv

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.