Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
No, a local security company installed it for me. It's Bosch 3000 system. I've only used it for a week but so far I'm impressed.
is it made up of just door/window sensors and motion sensors? is there any integration with anything else, and does it send you alerts when it trips or just the monitoring company?

woolfman72

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
is it made up of just door/window sensors and motion sensors? is there any integration with anything else, and does it send you alerts when it trips or just the monitoring company?
i know you were not talking to me and not to get totally off topic. but I have adt pulse which also has a camera inside . The adt camera records 30 second clips on motion off site. While i know the pulse is home automation on training wheels. It works for us . We can control and have schedules for the garage door , thermostat and the front porch, back porch , driveway, walkway and a few inside lights. House was prewired so every entry point is monitored by the alarm system.

bickford

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Saturday will process another 110pcs HDW5231R-Z, all alipay and most Paypal paid guys' orders can be with this lot.
SD49225T-HN 10PCS stock in.
IPC-HFW5231E-Z 10PCS in
IPC-HFW8232E-Z 10pcs in

By the way, the shipment we shipped 145pcs last week, now all on the way to the different guys' door now, please take care of them, because lost some parcels these days in US and thanks for all guys support and help.
Waiting for your email Andy :)

BICK

ChooChooman74

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Saturday will process another 110pcs HDW5231R-Z, all alipay and most Paypal paid guys' orders can be with this lot.
SD49225T-HN 10PCS stock in.
IPC-HFW5231E-Z 10PCS in
IPC-HFW8232E-Z 10pcs in

By the way, the shipment we shipped 145pcs last week, now all on the way to the different guys' door now, please take care of them, because lost some parcels these days in US and thanks for all guys support and help.
GREAT NEWS ANDY! Matt...ChooChoo

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My Ali order looks like it will auto-cancel in 4 days. Do I need to press the "extend processing time" button in case you have any problems on Saturday?

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Technical question (sorry for diverting from ordering issues!) :

In the set up under Camera-Conditions-Exposure-Mode there is an Auto and Manual setting. The only way to define the shutter speed appears to be using Manual, otherwise the camera will go down to the lowest exposure speed possible in low light? I thought it would work like my Hikvision cams where that set speed is the slowest the cam will use, but it will use faster speeds in bright light? That doesn't appear to be the case with Dahua, if I select Manual and then the slowest speed I want the cam to use ( 1/25th ) the picture in daylight appears to lose resolution/ focus?

Is there any way to set it up to use 1/25th and above automatically?

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks Nayr, I'll give it a go. I didn't even see the Customized Range option! :oops:

I also found this site, but the camera web page is different to what is on mine (I'm missing options in the Exposure field) IPC/Camera Configuration - Dahua Wiki
Looks like I need to update the firmware as all I get under Manual is a range of shutter speeds from 1/100 to 1/4 . (I was trying to avoid doing that after locking myself out my NVR due to region locking/ incompatible firmware.)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
reset exposures to defauts first, some settings can lock out others from being visible.. otherwise I like this firmware, seems to produce better image in the daytime

TommyR

n3wb
Reaction score
It's a logic board, backup battery, 4 motion/heat sensors, 2 sirens (indoor and outdoor), two key fobs, GPRS module with 2 sim cards (for back to base) and a touch pad. I didn't install doors/windows sensors and often leave windows open anyway. It will alert the monitoring company which will call me first and then send people out.

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
change to manual, set shutter to customized range
View attachment 16535

set the range to what you want, min and max
Thanks again! I reset everything back to default and now the Customized option appears with a range of 0 to 333.33ms (so 0 to 1/3 second) selectable. I've changed that to 0 to 40.0ms to give me the 1/25 second slowest speed. (I think that's right for what I'm trying to achieve?)

I checked your first post and compared to your initial firmware of

I've got :

2.400.0000.23.R, Build Date: 2016-07-05

I'm debating how risky it will be updating the firmware to the one you linked to on the first post DH_IPC-HX5X3X-Rhea_Eng_P_Stream3_V2.460.0000.5.R.20170117.bin or the latest I found on the Dahua site (and had the link Emailed to me) which is DH_IPC-HX5X3X-Rhea_Eng_P_Stream3_V2.460.0000.3.R.20170105.bin (seemingly older?) The camera is from AliExpress, but not Andy's stores.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
recovery is usually possible; though not always easy.. Ive recovered a few and now have no worries.. if you wanna be really safe reset the entire thing to defaults first, havent had any firmware updating issues w/international cameras, only the Chinese domestic ones.. of course YMMV.

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
recovery is usually possible; though not always easy.. Ive recovered a few and now have no worries.. if you wanna be really safe reset the entire thing to defaults first, havent had any firmware updating issues w/international cameras, only the Chinese domestic ones.. of course YMMV.
I think I'll give that a miss for now- I've just spent the last couple of hours pulling my hair out with networking issues. When I put it back it to default it changed the ONVIF Auth setting back to "on", plus the HTTP Port somehow got changed- mega frustration with my Hik NVR saying "Network Unreachable" when I could hit the Dahua's webpage via the NVR's POE ports.

The additional Manual exposure settings that I was missing were from me selecting the "Normal" profile instead of "Day" (or "Night"?) So I've now got it locked in Day mode (colour) with a maximum of 40ms exposure (1/25th second) and did a lot of adjusting to get an image that now looks good. I had to bump the Gain up to 90 from the default 50- otherwise there was next to no night vision past the main spill from the LED flood lights (a lot less than my 4MP Hiks.) My Hik cameras are the opposite with the default gain too high, maxxed out at 100. So I think I'm finally starting to see what the 5231 is capable of at night.

Now I've got the exposure issue sorted out I'll be able to compare the daylight performance. (It looked worse than 720p previously, but improved at night.)

Thanks again Nayr. :)

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
did you have to solder a jtag onto any of them to do it? lol.