Dahua Starlight Varifocal Bullet Z5 7-35mm (IPC-HFW5231E-Z5)

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
3 (3.5) cameras and an illuminator cast IR in that direction, all mounted on the same garage wall.

It is very dark. There are no street lights on my street or on the neighboring streets either. And no porch lights. All these cameras are seeing is infrared.

About 110 feet.
That bodes well for my application. The capture zone for my new setup is fairly well lit by street lights, and the ranges are similar. I will have the ir from the two cameras supported by one of these in the 15 degree version.

Free shipping 15,30,45,60,90degrees Array IR illuminator infrared lamp 6pcs ArrayLed IR Light Outdoor Waterproof for CCTV Camera-in CCTV Accessories from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Goose feathers.
I see what you did there. :ohsnap:

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Today shipped the IPC-HFW5431E-Z5 out, time not very enough, so ship out @nyar one firstly.
Tomorrow will do the left ones shipment.;)

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
depends if the 7mm FOV is going to be acceptable to you that close to the door.. Ive got a 6mm PTZ near mine and its fine, dont care to see people's shoes... otherwise get the regular Z if you want the wider range.
I checked out your sample pics of full zoom \ full wide for both the IPC-HFW5231E-Z (2.7~12mm) and the IPC-HFW5231E-Z5 (7~35mm) and based on that I clearly do not need the Z5 for good recognition on a camera above the garage stair entry. Zooming the Z anywhere near 12mm seems would offer plenty of close up and probably even be overkill for close range. I do not have a need in this location for longer range ID; just approaching the stairs\door. So I think I'm going to get either the Z bullet or Turret.
I wanted the bullet specifically b\c of the I/O alarm options but seeing a lot of discussion of how good the IVS works, (intrusion detection, line crossing, zones, etc.) Is setting up something via the I/O, ( like a door sensor or pressure mat or light beam trip on the stairs?...never used I/O before) going to get me much more accuracy?
It would def be more work to set up running more wires and if IVS works well enough, then the less large (Always the WAF concern) turret may still be my best bet.

@nayr Thanks for your sample pic posts in all of these reviews.

SergeyAU

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is the cam only wall mountable? Cannot see from the picture how to mount it on the ceiling.

Bradmph

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Last edited:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
no, that means the plastic wont become brittle and break apart when its left in the sun..

it has an operating temp range of: -30° C ~ +60° C (-22° F ~ +140° F) / Less than 95% RH

the sun shade is plastic

yobigd20

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Gotta love when the US customs and border protector tear apart your shipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bmwproboi05

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
OOO! I think imma order this one. Hopefully, he has them in stock. I haven't got a response from another email yet...

spankdog

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OOO! I think imma order this one. Hopefully, he has them in stock. I haven't got a response from another email yet...
I've had the best luck ordering from Aliexpress. I dont know how he can keep up with everyone's emails and messages.

Edited: I would keep an eye on his stores on Aliexpress...
Empire Technology Co., Ltd - Small Orders Online Store, Hot Selling and more on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
BEC Technology Co.,Ltd - Small Orders Online Store, Hot Selling and more on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Last edited:

yobigd20

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
latest firmware is in the first post, use PAL or NTSC whatever you want.

Bradmph

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I received my IPC-HFW5231E-Z5 and in record speed. Doesn't even look like customs ran a sniffer over it. I do have some concerns about the link from here I used to purchase the camera. After looking deeper into the Ad information I see that there are discrepancies that are questionable. Should it be NTFS instead of PAL? Clicking the choice only gave a PAL choice to use. Also, in one place it says 4mm lens and below it says 7mm to 35mm, to add, it says in one section the IR distance is 50ft, then in the next it says 100ft. I have a feeling this camera may be returned just on the issue of a PAL format. Though I see a NTFS firmware above

Animation1.jpg

Last edited:

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I received my IPC-HFW5231E-Z5 and in record speed. Doesn't even look like customs ran a sniffer over it. I do have some concerns about the link from here I used to purchase the camera. After looking deeper into the Ad information I see that there are discrepancies that are questionable. Should it be NTFS instead of PAL? Clicking the choice only gave a PAL choice to use. Also, in one place it says 4mm lens and below it says 7mm to 35mm, to add, it says in one section the IR distance is 50ft, then in the next it says 100ft. I have a feeling this camera may be returned just on the issue of a PAL format. Though I see a NTFS firmware above

View attachment 17151
don't make a damn bit of difference. :)

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

View attachment 17151
PAL isn't an issue. NTSC (not NTFS which is a file system) is an old analog video system. You can put NTSC firmware on it.

Slight differences in substream resolutions and supported frame rates are possible.