Dahua Starlight Varifocal Bullet Z5 7-35mm (IPC-HFW5231E-Z5)

ldasilva

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@nayr hows the mounting options is it just like the other bullets (upside down) ? my gutters might be in the way

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
you can mount it 90 degrees offset and rotate it however you like, but you dont want objects infront of the lens that will reflect IR back into it.. espically with the power and sensitivity this thing has.

Tomorrow I'll get a picture of the mounting

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Damn, I just had a flashback, your youtube videos were stuff I was watching when I first got into security cameras lol! You might need some newer ones.
Not to get too far off, but, I know, lol. I sure hope I can keep up the motivation to install my new system this spring!

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Is the length of the 2x4 8ft, making the fov about 20 ft in the 100 ft yard shots above? Is the main difference from the custom night shot and the autoExposure the shutter speed? or is it a bunch of things? Looking good so far. Cant wait to see more. Thanks for doing this.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I've read things and been around here but it's making me want to take a photography class so I can really learn how all these little adjustments work, thank God alot of the settings have an auto ability that seems to work great.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

cb8

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
iris.PNG

This one has aperture priority mode too, with aperture control in manual mode too. Didn't see that on the turret.

plate.png

I put the camera on top of a rock slightly closer and at a worse angle that where I was planning on mounting it. Need to cut some branches that were blocking the view. This is fully zoomed in, capturing some random car. No wonder the turret didn't work in the same position :p

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've read things and been around here but it's making me want to take a photography class so I can really learn how all these little adjustments work, thank God alot of the settings have an auto ability that seems to work great.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
I feel similarly. Maybe there is a great descriptive tutorial somewhere that someone can recommend that describes the newer camera settings in detail and techniques to set them optimally for different conditions (besides just auto) for any similar cameras to the Starlight and the Starlight Ultra models. I enjoy playing around with all of the settings, but often feel that i am going around in circles after a bit, not really knowing what aspect to focus on during a particular adjustment.

Back to the main thread.. @cb8 , is that night shot in day mode using IR to illuminate the plate of the car? I assume that the left side or the "92" is manually whited out?

cb8

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@bug99 Yes, that is a night shoot in night mode using the inbuilt IR to illuminate. Since I finally had a camera with more reach I just had to try it out to see if I could get it working. Yes, the rest of the plate is manually whited out.

I only got to sample a handful of cars passing by as it was close to 11pm and not much traffic. Settings are certainly not optimal. One of the plates was overexposed and you could barely make it out in the last frame captured IIRC. In WA plates are replaced every 7 years IIRC, or at least they were.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Awesome overview @nayr, any idea if there a turret version available?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Awesome overview @nayr, any idea if there a turret version available?
As far as I can tell the turret with these optics will never be offered; it consumes more power and uses longer optics so I dont think its physically possible to get it all to fit.. if you've ever opened a turret up they are using all the available space and not much more room exists.

They offer it in a large dome format, but domes suck.. and I would have to assume a Starlight dome w/IR this powerful is going to suck hard.

There is going to be a Z12 version of this too; with up to 60mm optics; great for those rural folks with very long driveways.

yobigd20

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What does the "z5" stand for? I've been trying to decode dahua's model numbers but haven't found anything online. Wondering what the patterns and meanings are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
5x Zoom, but this form of measurement is quite useless marketing crap..

Level of Zoom is Narrow/Wide = Zoom
Z12 - 64/5.3 = 12x
Z5 - 35/7 = 5x
Z - 12/2.7 = 4.4x

4.4x Zoom vs 5x Zoom dont sound like that much difference.. but 12mm vs 35mm is a massive zoom difference..

lesson of the day: Zoom Multipliers are basically meaningless all by them selves.

Here's a very old image showing how Dahua IPC model numbers typically work:

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
2.7~12mm/F1.4, Motorized
7~35mm/F1.4, Motorized(Z5)
5.3~64mm/F1.4, Motorized(Z12)

edit: I guess nayr beet me to it :)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This camera, much like the Ultra Starlight Bullet has a P-Iris that is controllable via Software and tends to work much better, espically in long range applications, on achieving better depth of field than AutoIris's that we have in the 12mm Z variants.. This means the software has full control over the Iris/Aperture and its not an internal function of the lens

Screenshot 2017-03-30 21.12.47.png

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Great review, a friend of mine is waiting for the Z12 since he live out in the rural and his mailbox is like 200+ feet from the house. He doesn't want to try to mount a camera closer to the mailbox and prefer to keep it mounted on the house. Someone been dumping white powder into his mailbox but they suspect one of the local high school kid are doing it.

I assume the Z12 is going to be somewhat very same as this Z5 that you are reviewing on but with a different lens in it?

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@nayr will this one do for lpr at the 100 ft distance ?
As seen in your photo's the license plates are not to big.

Will that function to output a cropped 720p sub image deliver enough detail for lpr on 100 ft ?

I still have time,mso the 12x zoom will be available also i guess by that time.

As always, thank you very much for your review.