Dahua Model Numbers Needed (getting confused)

shounb15

n3wb
Reaction score
Long time reader, first time poster. Learned a lot here so I signed up.

I am purchasing 3 cameras. I looked at Hikvision, but I feel Dahua costs less. I'm looking at Dahua cams but I keep getting confused on the model numbers. Rebranded cams would be fine, but I would like to confirm its not the Chinese crap. Below is what I'm looking for.

1. Driveway
-Plenty of light
-4k or 4MP
-Audio wanted
-2 streams
-Bullet

2. Back Right
-Very dark
-2MP or 4MP Starlight
-Audio
-2 streams
-Bullet

3. Back Left
-Some lighting
-2MP or 4MP Starlight
-Audio
-2 streams
-Bullet

Can anyone help?

Jomsha

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Intresting..
About number 6
"6) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,"
Not use P2P, QR, Dont open ports...
How should I view the cameras remotly without one of those options ?

Reaction score
I am purchasing 3 cameras. I looked at Hikvision, but I feel Dahua costs less. I'm looking at Dahua cams but I keep getting confused on the model numbers. Rebranded cams would be fine, but I would like to confirm its not the Chinese crap. Below is what I'm looking for.
If you buy Dahua cams from @EMPIRETECANDY they will be true international version Dahua cams. Some will have the Dahua brand name on them, some will say Loryta which is his OEM Dahua brand sold on Amazon, and some will say Empire Tech which is again his OEM Dahua brand.

For each of your three positions the Dahua 5442 series is the best in the prosumer line (read not costing an arm AND a leg) right now. They are 4MP on a 1/1.8" sensor. They come in bullet, turret and dome form factors. Dome cams are not recommended for outdoors due to dirt, rain, and UV fogging the dome. Turrets and bullets are most preferred for outdoors.

So the HFW5442E-ZE is a 2.7-12mm varifocal bullet, 4MP on a 1/1.8" sensor and has audio. It is also known as B5442E-ZE.
DH-IPC-HFW5442E-ZE.pdf (dahuasecurity.com)

shounb15

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you everybody for the helpful information! My driveway has plenty of light (street light in my yard plus my house lights). Does anyone think it would still be worth using Starlight technology? I have thought about Hikvision Colorvu cams in this location instead. Also, can anyone recommend a Starlight 2mp? Thanks again, I just want to make a well-rounded decision. Also, if it matters, I will be running Blue Iris.

@EMPIRETECANDY do you have a website that I can browse?

Edit: I will be using 2.8mm lenses

Jomsha

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
These days, Starlight is Must. And the prices are affordable...
Post a picture with your phone. So we can know if the light is enough

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Thank you everybody for the helpful information! My driveway has plenty of light (street light in my yard plus my house lights). Does anyone think it would still be worth using Starlight technology? I have thought about Hikvision Colorvu cams in this location instead. Also, can anyone recommend a Starlight 2mp? Thanks again, I just want to make a well-rounded decision. Also, if it matters, I will be running Blue Iris.

@EMPIRETECANDY do you have a website that I can browse?

Edit: I will be using 2.8mm lenses

Just watch here, most cams are hot models and highly recommended.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
Just because you have a street light there does not mean you can forgo getting the best your budget can afford. You do not have daylight there. Anyone sitting at the keyboard telling you that this will work or that will work based on a photo is just making a guess. A proven rule for night cams: you can always use more light, a better cam never hurt anyone.

If you are looking to ID a face, a 2.8mm will only work if the perp is very close, like 5 feet and the cam is at face level. There is no real 2MP cam that is in the same league as the 5442 series. There is no reason to go that route for outdoors at night. Remember, you are trying to freeze movement. No perp stops and poses for a cam. They are always moving, even if it is just their head.
When mounting on a flat surface, is there enough room to hide the pigtails under the cameras? Without a junction box
No. Unless you can shove the pigtails into the siding, you will have issues with water getting into the connectors without a box. Even with using the 'watertight' connectors, and using dielectric grease, it is advised to use a waterproof box to protect the connection. The connection is big and there is no room between the cam and the siding to protect it.

shounb15

n3wb
Reaction score
Just because you have a street light there does not mean you can forgo getting the best your budget can afford. You do not have daylight there. Anyone sitting at the keyboard telling you that this will work or that will work based on a photo is just making a guess. A proven rule for night cams: you can always use more light, a better cam never hurt anyone.

If you are looking to ID a face, a 2.8mm will only work if the perp is very close, like 5 feet and the cam is at face level. There is no real 2MP cam that is in the same league as the 5442 series. There is no reason to go that route for outdoors at night. Remember, you are trying to freeze movement. No perp stops and poses for a cam. They are always moving, even if it is just their head.

No. Unless you can shove the pigtails into the siding, you will have issues with water getting into the connectors without a box. Even with using the 'watertight' connectors, and using dielectric grease, it is advised to use a waterproof box to protect the connection. The connection is big and there is no room between the cam and the siding to protect it.
Thank you for the insight. From my experiences, it's hard to get a good look at perps regardless of camera, location, etc., especially at night.

I am interested in a general view across the front of my house. Has anyone fabricated a thin mount/junction box? Seems like an interesting project..

Reaction score
From my experiences, it's hard to get a good look at perps regardless of camera
4-15-2020 4-13-02am.jpg door checker2.JPG
This first one was placed on the police's FB page and they got tips as to who he was and arrested him based on the snapshot and video. The second one, when I showed it to the police, he said 'yeah, I know that guy'. These both shots were taken with the former top dog in low-light cams, the HDW5231R-ZE, prior to the 5442 series coming out. I have since replaced this cam with a T5442TM-AS in 6mm.
5442 6mm.JPG

Has anyone fabricated a thin mount/junction box?
There is barely enough room in the Dahua box made for that cam for the wires. You will find it hard to get hem in there as it is. A thinner box would not work.

shounb15

n3wb
Reaction score
Very nice pictures. I guess I'm more used to them knowing where the cameras are. Which brings me to my installation method. I don't want a huge round bump on my soffit. Do you have a pic of the camera and box mounted?