ColorVu 1/1.8"

marzian

n3wb
Reaction score
I have 3 4K ColorVu cameras. I have been mightily impressed. Their low-light performance is from another world. Those have a 1/1.2" CMOS sensor, which explains the great low-light performance.
Has anybody had the opportunity to compare the 4K to the 4MP Colorvue cameras? The 4MP ones have 1/1.8" sensors.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
While a different brand, here is a post just today comparing the Dahua 4MP on the 1/1.8" versus the 4k on the 1/1.2" sensor:

marzian

n3wb
Reaction score
While a different brand, here is a post just today comparing the Dahua 4MP on the 1/1.8" versus the 4k on the 1/1.2" sensor:

What is the difference between the NI and the other 4MP (non-NI) version?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The NI version does not see infrared and has an F-stop of 1.0 compared to the other camera at F-stop 1.6

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Has anybody had the opportunity to compare the 4K to the 4MP Colorvue cameras?
A couple of comparison stills here :

marzian

n3wb
Reaction score
It does look like the 4K version performs better in very low light, though the 4MP versions are still ar superior to their older counterparts.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
It does look like the 4K version performs better in very low light, though the 4MP versions are still ar superior to their older counterparts.
I agree, if you look closely at the 1/1000 second exposure images, the DS-2CD2087G2-L is marginally better, though it has a 6mm lens against the 4mm of the other 2 in that comparison.
But a worthwhile advantage is the 8MP resolution, allowing more digital zoom.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes as @EMPIRETECANDY mentioned, in my testing of full color 4Ks vs their 4MP full color siblings, the 4Ks win out for sure thanks to their low light processing capabilities afforded by the larger 1/1.2” they possess. The 4MP cams have come on a long way with the Dahua 5442 being a star performer for sure and the full color 4MP handling night (in color) better than even the 5442 could. However, still relying on 1/1.8” does limit light gathering AND introduces more noise than the larger sensor.

Just remember, sensor is important, I never advocate for just increasing pixel density across a smaller sensor which has happened across many manufacturers on earlier 4K builds but we’re now starting to see higher performing cams utilizing improved SOCs, optimal 1/1.2” sensors and low dispersion optics.

Dont get me wrong, I’m not saying deploy these everywhere and certainly don’t expect miracles if FOVs are completely dark :) You still need light to bring out the best, are better off balancing a location with blended cams (4K full color + dual lens or decent 4MP with IR across the location), ensuring you install for the target type and special applications you need to cater for (LPR, face recog, PTZ etc) along with always dialing in for the FOV correctly. The benefit now though is you have more latitude and options due to these new cams like the Color4K-X.

Last edited: