Cheap PTZ recommendation please

sygad1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
cheers for the info and damn dude, do you ever sleep? :eek:

sygad1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
i'd be interested in a quote for a single unit, im based in the UK so the quote will need to include shipping, cheers for the help

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
just been reading another post about PTZ and the power requirements, which i'll be honest, I hadn't even considered.

does theDahua 2MP 25x Starlight IR PTZ Network Camera (SD49225T-HN) require/supplied with an additional power source?

I am currently powering all my cameras from a netgear switch which has POE on ports, will this be sufficient?

Cheers
If the switch supplies Poe+ you are good to go, if not the camera comes with a power brick, and a single Poe injector is cheap

sygad1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
cheers

why would I need the POE injector in addition to the power supply?

wouldn't I run the existing cat6 and the power supply to supplement the power requirements of the PTZ?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
the Power brick it comes with is 24vac and requires you to pull separate wires for power.. if thats not attractive you can get a PoE+ injector and just power it via single ethernet cable.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
cheers

why would I need the POE injector in addition to the power supply?

wouldn't I run the existing cat6 and the power supply to supplement the power requirements of the PTZ?
It's a choice... run it PoE+ off of 1 cable or run Ethernet and something like some 16-2 to hook to the power adapter

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
the user manual has a wiring gauge and distance chart for using 24vac power supply.. best to consult that for minimum wiring requirements..

sygad1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
cheers for that.

if i'm getting this right, the power brick (24v AC) requires me to pick apart the RJ45/cable to piggy back the cables in to provide the power (f**k that)

OR

I use an existing lan cable from my poe enabled switch, connect that to a POE+ injector and then connect the camera to the POE+ injector.

Think i'll go with option B, sounds neat & tidy

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
you cant send AC voltage down your ethernet, it'll totally fuck with the signals.. you'll have to pull a completely separate power cable.

AC Voltage reaches further for very remote installs using fiberoptics/p2p wireless (thousands of feet away), thats really the most common use.

sygad1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
lmfao, I should totally know that as well, what an idiot suggestion of mine.....it's late

I re-read your message, I get what your saying now about pull a separate cable for power, I initially read that as, "pull apart", hence my suggestion for modifying the ethernet cable

so, as per my initial post, 2 cables, 1 for power (from the brick) and 1 cable for ethernet OR use a POE+ to use only 1 ethernet cable

that was starting to get a little confusing there for a minute

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
lmfao, I should totally know that as well, what an idiot suggestion of mine.....it's late

I re-read your message, I get what your saying now about pull a separate cable for power, I initially read that as, "pull apart", hence my suggestion for modifying the ethernet cable

so, as per my initial post, 2 cables, 1 for power (from the brick) and 1 cable for ethernet OR use a POE+ to use only 1 ethernet cable

that was starting to get a little confusing there for a minute
Dunno what is costs in pounds but in dollars the injector was only like $30, it's a no brainer.