Cat 6 cable passes test but still experiencing packet loss

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Why can't I just add the dielectric grease into the ethernet socket (on the camera's end)?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can LOL. Some add it to the tip of the cable end and others fill up the socket on the camera end. The important thing is that it is used. Some do just a dab and others lube it up. I fill it about half-way and then it doesn;t come oozing all out making a mess, yet creates a "seal"at the end.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
It seems that I am loosing packets in one of these cameras; I noticed it only happens when the IR light turns on. I tripled checked the integrity of the ethernet wire and even re-crimped several times. Could it be an inherent problem with the camera itself? Its a fixed lens turret; the IR light changes intensity in a pulse-like fashion and resolves on its own, but then goes offline, comes back online, and finally just gives up and goes offline until I manually disconnect and connect it again. Tried this camera on 4 PoE Switches, but same problem occurs :confused: Definitely not the cable

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It seems that I am loosing packets in one of these cameras; I noticed it only happens when the IR light turns on. I tripled checked the integrity of the ethernet wire and even re-crimped several times. Could it be an inherent problem with the camera itself? Its a fixed lens turret; the IR light changes intensity in a pulse-like fashion and resolves on its own, but then goes offline, comes back online, and finally just gives up and goes offline until I manually disconnect and connect it again. Tried this camera on 4 PoE Switches, but same problem occurs :confused: Definitely not the cable
Sounds like a power issue. How long is the run? Did you try it with just it alone on the POE switch? Did you try with a POE injector?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Yep, I tried it with a POE Switch and a POE injector, same problem. The run is hardly 40 feet :( Its frustrating, even using the latest firmware on this one

Sounds like a power issue. How long is the run? Did you try it with just it alone on the POE switch? Did you try with a POE injector?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
WOW - what about the settings on the camera - are you trying to run it at its rated "spec" capacity in terms of bitrate, FPS, etc.?

Try a really low number like 10 FPS and 2,000 bitrate to rule out it is the camera not able to keep up with the parameters set on it.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Tried that as well, I have a feeling there's a hardware fault :facepalm: What's odd is that its time specific, as soon as the IR turns on

WOW - what about the settings on the camera - are you trying to run it at its rated "spec" capacity in terms of bitrate, FPS, etc.?

Try a really low number like 10 FPS and 2,000 bitrate to rule out it is the camera not able to keep up with the parameters set on it.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah could be the hardware related to IR, but usually it ends up being a power issue or someone pushing the camera too hard.

Could you back IR down and still get enough and not lose signal?

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Try it with an entirely new/different/known good cable. Either take the camera down or string a long cable to it. Then you will know for sure it is not the cable. It is rare, but intermittent cable faults are possible.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I tried with a 6ft patch cable laying around and did an extended ping test during night and occasionally noticed the ping timing out, went through 4 cables already in varying lengths. I can't be the culprit here :rofl:

Try it with an entirely new/different/known good cable. Either take the camera down or string a long cable to it. Then you will know for sure it is not the cable. It is rare, but intermittent cable faults are possible.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Try powering the camera with a 12 volt wall wart. It sounds like a weak/defective PoE board in the camera not being able to handle the load the IR presents.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm currently using a 30W Cudy PoE Injector (I know its overkill), waiting 'till the end of the day to make final a assessment and determination of the cause of the problem. I am suspicious that it could be the PoE board on the camera; the Cat 6 (solid copper) line has already been replaced. Will check the moisture barrier on the connection to this camera to see if that has to be addressed

Try powering the camera with a 12 volt wall wart. It sounds like a weak/defective PoE board in the camera not being able to handle the load the IR presents.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I found the culprit. It was this POS TP-Link POE Switch. I can't say its a POS because it served me well for 3.5 years before starting to crap out on me late last year :( It was a recurrent issue it seems, power management just can't keep up.

Now to look for a better POE switch. Any recommendations? Cisco sounds like a good idea but are there any reputable sellers? Prefer 24 ports or less :)

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
eBay for a used Cisco is probably the best way to go. I'm using 16 port IPCamPower from Nelly's and they're rock solid.