Cat 6 cable passes test but still experiencing packet loss

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I just ran a new Cat 6 cable, connection shows as pass on the networking diagnostic tool, but I am still experiencing packet loss as per command prompt. There are physical kinks on the wire. Could this be a plausible reason for the packet loss?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I tried doing that several times :( I checked with another camera to see if the problem was persisting; definitely cable related, about 6 sharp bends

Try reterminating. It’s the first thing and the easiest. Kinks are not always a deal breaker , depending on how ferocious you pulled on them.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just ran a new Cat 6 cable, connection shows as pass on the networking diagnostic tool, but I am still experiencing packet loss as per command prompt. There are physical kinks on the wire. Could this be a plausible reason for the packet loss?
kinks can = breaks in the wires.. this is why you want to be very careful of kinks when pulling cable ..

always good to have a reasonable friend help you run lines ..

Reaction score
Sharp turns / bends should be avoided. Always use gradual curves in cable routes if at all possible. Also, don't leave any excess exposed wire on your cable ends. Be certain to keep any exposed wires as short as possible. To custom-bend your own PVC conduit, fill it with play sand and carefully heat the area to be bent, then bend it around a curved form into the desired shape.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Such a thing as liquid tight conduits?
I was always pulling cable in hospital ceilings and down walls or network closets.

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Liquid Tite, originally, was basically a BX (armored) empty shell with a PVC coating. Now it's available in a metal core, the old BX style, or a plastic core which is significantly lighter but not as impact resistant. The plastic core is less expensive as well. The connectors are kind of complex but are liquid tight.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I almost thought I was going to be scolded here [guess I'm not crazy after all] :rofl: . These bends held up for less than a year before I started experiencing erratic packet loss. I was forced to splice the affected cable (noticed the insulated jacket exposing bare copper :eek: ) and used an Ethernet cable extender (stashed into a separate "waterproof" junction box, and upon conclusion, it obviously did not go well (half a day gone to waste?), had the same amount of packet loss.

Instead of going around the drainage pipe, I'll be using an alternative path and routing conduit towards the bottom of the camera's junction box which I believe uses 3/4" conduit fittings

Even for one wire, 3/4" conduit it is

There's no such thing as shortcuts :lol:

I don't want to drill any more holes :p