Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I find Monoprice cables very fragile :(

I pulled out yesterdays wire and all looked physically intact

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Your testing showed the wires were intact but too many sharp bends are probably what gave you headaches. Be very careful when pulling through multiple pull ells like that and never pull the cable tight through them.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I abandoned the original idea. This new idea should work. I was able to push the cable with ease. Now about to finish putting the finishing touches :) No more elbows going forwardIMG-1053.jpg

Requires too much elbow grease :rofl:

Your testing showed the wires were intact but too many sharp bends are probably what gave you headaches. Be very careful when pulling through multiple pull ells like that and never pull the cable tight through them.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Question: Even if a cable is "properly" crimped, can high humidity cause intermittent packet loss and varying ping times?

Reaction score
Question: Even if a cable is "properly" crimped, can high humidity cause intermittent packet loss and varying ping times?
Yup. Moisture on the connector causes loss of signal. Also causes signal degradation, as it somewhat acts as an RF antenna. At gigabit Ethernet frequencies, this is critical to maintain. This is why everyone here recommends a spot or two of dielectric grease on all connections. The grease prevents water intrusion.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Yup. Moisture on the connector causes loss of signal. Also causes signal degradation, as it somewhat acts as an RF antenna. At gigabit Ethernet frequencies, this is critical to maintain. This is why everyone here recommends a spot or two of dielectric grease on all connections. The grease prevents water intrusion.
Thanks, Where exactly do you recommend I should apply the dielectric grease? Not on the actual copper contacts itself, right?

Reaction score
Thanks, Where exactly do you recommend I should apply the dielectric grease? Not on the actual copper contacts itself, right?
this should be interesting. I have always dabbed dielectric grease right on the brass pins with a little extra love. I did this on the first cameras I put outside over 2 years ago....still running strong.
However, I am not sure if that is the right way to use the stuff. I've seen other folks create a seal just around the entry points, not on the brass pins themselves. But then, why use dielectric grease in the first place? Could of used silicone or even regular grease for a weather seal.
I have done this to all my outside cameras without any issues (adding directly to brass pins). Maybe I should of read the instructions :)

Reaction score
this should be interesting. I have always dabbed dielectric grease right on the brass pins with a little extra love. I did this on the first cameras I put outside over 2 years ago....still running strong.
However, I am not sure if that is the right way to use the stuff. I've seen other folks create a seal just around the entry points, not on the brass pins themselves. But then, why use dielectric grease in the first place? Could of used silicone or even regular grease for a weather seal.
I have done this to all my outside cameras without any issues (adding directly to brass pins). Maybe I should of read the instructions :)
You put a dab of it on the male/cable end connectors, so that it slides on over the wires inside the female/socket. In this way, the grease covers the area outside of where the two pieces of metal form a contact. This then prevents moisture from entering the connection. Wrapping coax-seal tape around the connection is just extra insurance, and slightly bulky. But for connections exposed to the weather (not protected by conduit) it’s indispensable.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Some people fill the whole RJ45 female with dielectric grease then plug in the male end (has anyone noticed how sexist RJ connectors are? :rofl: ). I just use a little dab on the male end. Filling the female end, plugging it and then having to clean up the mess of dielectric grease that is pushed out isn't my idea of fun. The main idea is to coat/surround the blades of the mae end and the wires of the female end to prevent corrosion. It doesn't take a bucket full to do that, at least not in my experience.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
So basically I should load the female connector with grease and gently slide the 8 wires into the female connector (even though there will be grease on the contacts as well) and wipe off the excess, right?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
No need for that much grease or resulting mess. A little dab on the blades/pins of the mail connector and plug it in. No muss, no fuss, no cleanup to do at all.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks so inside the connector, not on the outside, right? Just want to make sure, because it seems I added too much on the female connector in the past

No need for that much grease or resulting mess. A little dab on the blades/pins of the mail connector and plug it in. No muss, no fuss, no cleanup to do at all.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Don't forget to use coax seal, or similar tape, followed by a layer of 3M 33+, or better, electrical tape overlapping the coax seal. I usually use two layers of 33+.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I stopped using the included weather-seal protector that comes with these cameras, I prefer silicone tape and a layer of 3M 33+ as well

Don't forget to use coax seal, or similar tape, followed by a layer of 3M 33+, or better, electrical tape overlapping the coax seal. I usually use two layers of 33+.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Question: How is there any contact in all of that grease (shown in previous post)?