Can't get the firmware to update

kd4e

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a DS-2CD3132 camera. When I download the newest firmware it unzips to digicap.dav - which VLC seizes control of.

My camera isn't bricked - I want to update the firmware so the api plays nicely with modern, more secure, browsers.

I'm using Win 10 notebook for this but am a Linux guy - so not real familiar.

I have the Hikvision app open to the menu for a firmware update - but it doesn't recognize the digicap.dav file.

Any suggestions, please?

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Sounds like the file extension (.dav) is associated with VLC software. Despite this, you should still be able to navigate to the update screen via the GUI of the camera, and initiate the update from there by pointing to the latest firmware file you downloaded.

FYI, you might be disappointed... as even the newer firmware's still work best with internet exploder. Pale moon 32-bit browser is a close second

kd4e

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Camlytics and a Cobra NVR handles the stream - ONVIF. That's in addition to Edge being spoofed.

I was unable to get WaterFox to work with a VLC plugin in order to view it.

I'm going to look for something that might manage an ONVIF stream to a browser.

kd4e

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sounds like the file extension (.dav) is associated with VLC software. Despite this, you should still be able to navigate to the update screen via the GUI of the camera, and initiate the update from there by pointing to the latest firmware file you downloaded.
I tried to load it here - no joy ...1686748208338.png
1686748208338.png

kd4e

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just tried peazip - it's still failing.

Since they're older tech I'm going to gift them, and the associated NVR, to a friend and move on with Reolinks.

Thanks for the assist.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
They are moving on from Reolinks or you are moving from Hikvision to Reolinks?

kd4e

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
They are moving on from Reolinks or you are moving from Hikvision to Reolinks?
I have Cobras and Reolinks and am gifting the older generation Hikvision cameras and NVR to friends.

My goal is a system that will work with either the Cobra NVR or via a Linux-native app - for flexibility and redundancy.

The older Hikvision cameras do work with the Cobra NVR but are a nuisance to get to play nicely with other apps (Camlytics seems to handle them OK).

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I have Cobras and Reolinks and am gifting the older generation Hikvision cameras and NVR to friends.

My goal is a system that will work with either the Cobra NVR or via a Linux-native app - for flexibility and redundancy.

The older Hikvision cameras do work with the Cobra NVR but are a nuisance to get to play nicely with other apps (Camlytics seems to handle them OK).
You should maybe spend some time perusing the forums before venturing down the brown road that is Reolink?

kd4e

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You should maybe spend some time perusing the forums before venturing down the brown road that is Reolink?
I'll run a few tests on the two Reolinks we already have (the other is a Heimvision, not a Reolink), and then two Cobra cams.

Cobra's are 4k but I haven't chased down info as to the actual manufacturer and other specs.
Heimvision is a HM211 that also shows up as a GlobalPat ANYKA-3918
The Reolinks are RLC-410W's

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Make sure you test the Reolinks at night with motion.

See this thread of the unofficial Reolink fails, where folks have tried to provide their best reolink images at night and they would be useless to the police except for what time something happened.