Cams work directly to router -- not through switch?

Reaction score
They're some cheap off-brand injectors off Amazon. This was all really just an experiment I did over the holidays because my neighborhood had some break-ins lately. I've only got $100 invested in both cameras, the injectors, and the switch. If I can get the cameras to work with the switch though, I am thinking of adding several more and building a dedicated machine to run/record them all. I had looked into all of this many years ago, and at that time, the hardware was cost-prohibitive. Now it all seems to be dirt cheap. Even the good stuff is reasonable.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
They're some cheap off-brand injectors off Amazon. This was all really just an experiment I did over the holidays because my neighborhood had some break-ins lately. I've only got $100 invested in both cameras, the injectors, and the switch. If I can get the cameras to work with the switch though, I am thinking of adding several more and building a dedicated machine to run/record them all. I had looked into all of this many years ago, and at that time, the hardware was cost-prohibitive. Now it all seems to be dirt cheap. Even the good stuff is reasonable.
a decent poe switch is 40-60 bux, dont mess with cheap injectors...post a link to the injectors, there is a reason these questions are asked...

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
So you didn't use TIA-568B, and it sounds like you didn't use TIA-568A either? If I were a betting person I would bet that is your issue. I would redo all the ends with the 568B standard and retry.
Lol I wonder if that farmer can see his cows now
When his sparky told him the colours don’t matter
And his ptz cameras wouldn’t work

Reaction score
Hi, I picked up two inexpensive IP cameras to try out last week. They each have a POE injector, and I tested both of them connected to my router and both worked fine (simultaneously). I don't have enough ports on my router to dedicate a port to each camera (and I may add more cameras in the future), so I picked up an unmanaged switch which I planned to connect to one router port, then connect both cameras to the switch. For some reason, when I connect the cameras through the switch to the router, the router no longer sees the cameras at all.

To test the switch, I connected other devices (computer, cable card tuner, etc.) through the switch to the router and they all work as expected.

The cameras work as expected also if each is connected directly to a router port.

The following setup works: Camera >> POE Injector >> Router.
This setup does not work: Camera >> POE Injector >> Switch >> Router.

Thoughts on why they don't work? I was really hoping this would work because I'd like to put ANOTHER switch in another location and add two more cameras off of it as well.

thanks!

568B is the standard used in 98% of the networks so stay with it. If your cables are working with the router, then it is not your cables. Even though you are not seeing any video, have you tried pinging the cameras when they are on the switch? If you ping and get a positive return (no time out) then the problem is probably a limitation of the switch to handle the video. Most small switches like that are made simply to handle data traffic.

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
568B is the standard used in 98% of the networks so stay with it. If your cables are working with the router, then it is not your cables. Even though you are not seeing any video, have you tried pinging the cameras when they are on the switch? If you ping and get a positive return (no time out) then the problem is probably a limitation of the switch to handle the video. Most small switches like that are made simply to handle data traffic.
Umm are you serious? A switch is a layer two device, it could care less what type of data it is sending. also Video is data! Unless the switch has something like 1mbps throughput then this makes absolutely no sense to me.

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/datasheet/en/300-Series_Gigabit_DS.pdf

Based on the specs I am pretty sure there is no problem with the switch "handling video".

Last edited:
Reaction score
Bingo! I think y'all are right about the wire. I took down one of the cameras and moved it right next to the switch then used a pre-fab patch cord and it worked. I'm going to chop off the ends of my original wire and redo the plug with the 568B standard to see if it will work! Fingers crossed!

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Whut? Please tell us what you think video on an IP network is?

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You guys are dumb. Video is a stream so it's obviously made of water. I proved this theory a while back by cutting my cable in half and my backyard came gushing out and made a huge mess all over the office floor. Wet grass everywhere!

Luckily turning the keyboard upside down spins BI into reverse and we were able to send it all back outside where it belongs. What a day, poor dog still walks with a limp. :(
You have to be very careful to shut down your equipment when unplugging network cables. Where do you think the term data leak comes from? This is how thieves get your data. When you unplug the cables and it leaks out, especially if your house is not sealed very well.

geezer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
[In a similar vein:] All electronic devices contain smoke. If you let the smoke out, they're ruined.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone less than 40 years old likely doesn't recall the 3-1/2" floppy disk with the sliding metal door. They usually came in a box of 10 and each were in a clear polyethylene sleeve.

True story. It was circa 1982, as I passed by her desk a clerk in our office asked me about what to do with the sleeve and I jokingly told her "..you've heard about computer viruses? Leave that sleeve on to protect your PC", laughed and kept on walking.

That afternoon I came in from the field and an IT guy was there, face on the desk with a flashlight, mumbling and peering into the slot for the floppy on her PC. I asked what was going and he said "...aw, she shoved the disk in there with the sleeve on and it's all shredded into tiny pieces." I said, 'Oh", skulked off, got around the corner and belly laughed. From then on I was careful what I said to that particular clerk. She was a sweet as she could be but dumb as a box of rocks.
Not sure why, but from that point on she wouldn't ask me ANYTHING!:winktongue: