Buying from Aliexpress, what does "support upgrade" mean?

MerNion

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello all!

I want to buy a hikvision nvr and a couple of cameras from aliexpress and I keep seeing "support Upgrade", "international version", "multilanguage support", "don't update firmware or you will break the cam" etc..
What do all these mean? Are these cameras not original hikvision products? Are these originaly for another market (than the US and EU) and they hack them somehow with their own firmware?
What should I look at when buying? Are there any "red flags" on some listings i should be looking for?

Thanks!

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I just ensure the NVR is "NI" model which means upgradable. Upgradable means you can update the firmware from say Hikvision (Europe site anyway) which say in the case when email sending went bad recently those with upgrade option could fix their NVR's. I don't get hung up on camera upgradable as you will pay almost same as buying local and I don't need to upgrade cameras - me anyway. So I feel it is worth buying "white box" NI upgradable NVR but, perhaps some day Hikvision will some how region lock these NVR's and not allow chinese camera market versions to work in thier NVR but, I don't think they really that concerned as at the end of the day its all their sales.