Blue Iris UI3

Daniel15

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@bp2008 Is it worth setting up a HTTPS reverse proxy to use WebCodecs? Does it have advantages over the HTML5 player?

Let's Encrypt can be used to automatically issue and renew certificates for internal systems (just use a DNS challenge instead of a HTTP challenge), so getting the certificate isn't an issue.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
@bp2008 Is it worth setting up a HTTPS reverse proxy to use WebCodecs? Does it have advantages over the HTML5 player?

Let's Encrypt can be used to automatically issue and renew certificates for internal systems (just use a DNS challenge instead of a HTTP challenge), so getting the certificate isn't an issue.
HTML5 and Webcodecs both can have bugs which will vary between platforms and browser updates. Otherwise they are similar in their efficiency. No real benefit to either over the other unless you have bugs.

jeremypsl

n3wb
Reaction score
So i don't understand why i get lags on a stream only when the camera is triggered... i should try without CP.AI to see.

prsmith777

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have many of my cameras organized such that they cover adjacent contiguous viewing areas . When I’m viewing a camera full screen and the person or animal moves to the left or right out of view I have to move out of full screen and the open the next camera in full screen. It would be a nice feature to have an arrow pop up that would open the next adjacent camera in full screen directly.

Not sure if this has been asked before or you are interested in considering adding it, but it would be helpful in my use case.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I have many of my cameras organized such that they cover adjacent contiguous viewing areas . When I’m viewing a camera full screen and the person or animal moves to the left or right out of view I have to move out of full screen and the open the next camera in full screen. It would be a nice feature to have an arrow pop up that would open the next adjacent camera in full screen directly.

Not sure if this has been asked before or you are interested in considering adding it, but it would be helpful in my use case.
If you have a keyboard, you can use comma and period keys for Previous Camera and Next Camera or you can remap those hotkeys in UI Settings > Hotkeys.

1673880523330.png

There are no on-screen buttons for it at this time.

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What can I do to troubleshoot the dreaded "The video stream was lost. Attempting to reconnect..." messages? Running BI 5.6.5.4 with 18 modest cameras on an i7-6700 (see .sig).
Well, this is unexpected! Yesterday I made two changes to the server:

Mine was bound to the correct adapter, but Bind Exclusively was not checked. But I only have one adapter in the box, so I'm not sure what effect that would have.

But now it's checked, just to be sure!

The BI server's address also was a DHCP reservation, but I've just now changed that to a true Static IP.
to fix a completely different problem, and it may have fixed this problem. I'm scrubbing through my system this morning, and performance is dramatically improved. In the past 5 minutes of jumping around I've seen "The video stream was lost . . . " only once, and then only for 1/2 a second. Prior to this I'd sometimes see it for 10 seconds before it recovered.

I'm not 100% sure this is fixed, since I've been testing it for all of 5 minutes, but this is promising.

digger11

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hey @bp2008, over the last couple of days, since upgrading BI to 5.6.9.8, I've seen a few times where when I've tried to digitally zoom in during playback of a clip via UI3 the playback window goes black and then switches to video from a different camera. Zooming back out goes back to the original clip.

I've seen it on 3 different client devices now, but I can't seem to reproduce it at will.

Any idea what might be happening?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey @bp2008, over the last couple of days, since upgrading BI to 5.6.9.8, I've seen a few times where when I've tried to digitally zoom in during playback of a clip via UI3 the playback window goes black and then switches to video from a different camera. Zooming back out goes back to the original clip.

I've seen it on 3 different client devices now, but I can't seem to reproduce it at will.

I need to figure out how to reproduce that problem. What devices / operating systems / web browsers are you running UI3 on when you see this? If it is convenient for you to record a video showing the problem that would also be helpful.

The latest UI3 release included a significant change to the HTML5 video player, where zooming in causes it to hide the html video element and start copying video frames to a <canvas> in order to work around some bugs that happen when zooming in on a <video> element. Probably something about your environment isn't working with that as it is currently coded.

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

I've had this, and another related problem as well. In two of my groups, clicking on one camera during group timeline view results in the wrong camera being soloed. I deleted and re-created the group, and this problem went away.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I've had this, and another related problem as well. In two of my groups, clicking on one camera during group timeline view results in the wrong camera being soloed. I deleted and re-created the group, and this problem went away.
That is probably a bug in Blue Iris then. Blue Iris has to tell UI3 what the camera layout is for each group stream.

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well, this is unexpected! Yesterday I made two changes to the server to fix a completely different problem, and it may have fixed this problem. I'm scrubbing through my system this morning, and performance is dramatically improved. In the past 5 minutes of jumping around I've seen "The video stream was lost . . . " only once, and then only for 1/2 a second. Prior to this I'd sometimes see it for 10 seconds before it recovered.

I'm not 100% sure this is fixed, since I've been testing it for all of 5 minutes, but this is promising.
Well, it didn't fix the problem ("The video stream was lost. Attempting to reconnect..." messages). It's back again, and intermittently as always, so it's hard to troubleshoot.

digger11

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I need to figure out how to reproduce that problem. What devices / operating systems / web browsers are you running UI3 on when you see this? If it is convenient for you to record a video showing the problem that would also be helpful.

The latest UI3 release included a significant change to the HTML5 video player, where zooming in causes it to hide the html video element and start copying video frames to a <canvas> in order to work around some bugs that happen when zooming in on a <video> element. Probably something about your environment isn't working with that as it is currently coded.
I've see this on an Amazon Fire TV using side loaded Chrome browser, on my Pixel 6A running Android 13 in the native Chrome browser, and on Windows 10 in the Chrome browser.
I was just able to reproduce it on Windows 10.

Here are the steps I performed:

1) New Incognito window (just to have a fresh browser)
2) Navigate to UI3
3) Select a group
4) Go to Clips tab.
5) Select Confirmed alerts
6) Select a clip to play.
7) Pause playback
8) Zoom in digitally - Screen goes black
9) Select another clip
10) Pause playback
11) Zoom in digitally - Screen goes black
12) Zoom out
13) Resume playback and let what is on the screen go out of view
14) Pause playback
15) Zoom in digitally - Image/timestamp jumped back to where it was at step 13

digger11

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It seems to have something to do with pausing and then digitally zooming in. Now that I've been playing with it all I have to do to see weird behavior is

1) Solo a single camera. This can be live or playback of a clip.
2) pause playback
3) take note of the timestamp.
4) zoom in and look at the timestamp.
5) zoom out
6) resume playback

Repeat steps 2-6 a number of times and I think you'll see the issue.
If you want to see it switch to another view entirely, add switch to a different camera/clip as a 7th step.

EricB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am willing to bet this has been asked, but I am not finding it using the search...

In UI3, I found the menu item to play a sound on an alert, but that sound is a single sound regardless of which camera it is.

Is there a way to play a different sound depending on the camera that is triggered?

I don't want multiple sounds per camera, just a different specific sound for each camera so that I can tell what camera is alerting depending on the sound if I am not where I can see the screen.

Thanks,

Eric

EricB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks.

I can only imagine how difficult it would be to try to just figure out the UI for that, much less the underlying code.

I was hoping that I was just missing something obvious.

Thanks again,

Eric

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
With the Pushover app and using the API you can get the different sounds for each camera. Of course you can't watch video in it, but that would be one way to do it.