Blue Iris UI3

PatPend

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This looks like a bug: after I upgraded to UI3 version 226, Blue Iris version: 5.6.6.1, my 90° rotated cameras appear without rotation when solo'd. They appear correctly in the "all cameras" view. Same on mobile or desktop browser. In the BI console they appear correctly (with rotation) when solo'd.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
This looks like a bug: after I upgraded to UI3 version 226, Blue Iris version: 5.6.6.1, my 90° rotated cameras appear without rotation when solo'd. They appear correctly in the "all cameras" view. Same on mobile or desktop browser. In the BI console they appear correctly (with rotation) when solo'd.
If the rotation is within Blue Iris and not the camera, then when ui3 uses direct 2 wire it will send you the unmanipulated image. It's always best in my opinion to rotate the camera within the camera's own interface

PatPend

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If the rotation is within Blue Iris and not the camera, then when ui3 uses direct 2 wire it will send you the unmanipulated image. It's always best in my opinion to rotate the camera within the camera's own interface
I agree but this particular camera doesn't support image rotate. Any way to selectively disable direct to wire on certain cameras?

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Refreshing the page should be sufficient.
So is there a similar restart custom script for network delays? I seem to get it only on this camera after 5+ hours or so. All the other cameras are running near zero on network delay. They're all running off of the same AP (dedicated to the tablets). When I refresh the screen, or click off the camera and come back, it goes to zero, but if left on for half a day, it returns.

1671395403860.png

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I'm still seeing 4000ms player delays (though no orange clock). Is there a way to verify that the overrides are in effect and working as they should?
IMG_20221219_075003357.jpg

wepee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi @bp2008,

I have friend's PC is still using the legacy BI v4.8.6.3 x64
Currently, the Windows 10 Pro PC has set up a Kiosk account.

Once the user login into the Kiosk account,
Windows 10 Pro will automatically launch Microsoft Edge into full screen mode.
This method is to prevent, the user from wrecking the system.

The browser is pointing to the UI3 web interface: .
So far it is working. However, we like to have it automated.

1) Is there a way for Microsoft Edge to have Username + Password prefilled/embedded with username & password?
I have tried keying:
Code:
http://username:pasword@192.168.188.254:168
in the browser URL,
UI3 does not log in automatically. It still asks me to key in the username + password manually.

2) How to modify UI3 setting to have UI Idle Timeout permanently = 0 (disable Timeout)

2022-12-23_23-27-32.jpg

Thank you.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
@wepee The easiest thing would be to change your browser settings so that it allows local storage. Usually there is no explicit setting for local storage, instead it will just be lumped together with cookies or "site data". See edge:/settings/content/cookies

If you can't do that, then there are a few ways to get past the login page.

1. You could use Blue Iris's "Limit access by IP address" box to allow the IP address of your kiosk machine to automatically receive an "admin" session without needing to log in. Go to Blue Iris Settings > Web server > Advanced, and then click the Help button to learn about this.

2. There is a setting to have Blue Iris allow http digest authentication, read about it here: Embed credentials on Blue Iris Web Server URL -- If you set it this way, you'll be able to put your credentials into the URL as shown in one of the early replies in the thread.

For the idle timeout, since you're using such an old version of BI your UI3 doesn't support having the timeout set by URL parameter yet. So to disable the timeout you'll need to use a ui3-local-overrides.js file. Go to UI3 main menu -> Help -> More Topics -> UI Extensions. The "Quick Start" section here explains how you can download a copy of your current settings as a ui3-local-overrides.js file.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Merry Christmas everyone!

I've created a silly little local overrides script that adds animated holiday lights to UI3 on Dec 24th and 25th: Local Overrides Sample: Add holiday lights on December 24th and 25th · bp2008/ui3 Wiki

1671950191100.png

If you modify an existing local overrides file, then to get the changes to load you need to either clear browser caches or find ui_version in the ui3.htm file, and change its value to be unique (e.g. "226" --> "226-u1") as this will cause all new files to be loaded. Take care to avoid setting a number that belongs to a past or future UI3 release (e.g. "200" or "300") as that could cause problems for you later.

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What can I do to troubleshoot the dreaded "The video stream was lost. Attempting to reconnect..." messages? Running BI 5.6.5.4 with 18 modest cameras on an i7-6700 (see .sig).

CPU utilization as reported on the computer itself (e.g. not reported by UI3) is normal loafing at around ~25% when idle (e.g. UI3 client loaded, but nothing playing, or else playing live from direct-to-disc, e.g. no transcoding happening).

If I dive into a 4-up Timeline view, CPU utilization goes up to ~65% - 70%, and playback performance is generally good.

When "The video stream was lost" pops up the CPU utilization goes down to ~35% - 40%, so I don't think it's a CPU loading problem.

The "The video stream was lost" never pops up while I'm viewing a stream successfully. It pops up only when I Skip to a prev/next clip, or when I scrub, or when I skip +/- 10 seconds. And it doesn't do this all the time; it does it maybe 10-20% of the time, and then unpredictably. Sometimes I'll scrub through a night's footage for 10 minutes and never see it. Sometimes it'll pop up almost continuously.

Right now I'm in the next room, connecting over Gigabit Ethernet, so it's not a network congestion problem.

Sometimes I'll review the same clip over and over again, and it'll perform fine for several minutes, and then start popping up the error. So I don't think it's file-related.

I opened the Chrome Dev tools, and whenever the message pops up I see something similar to this:

Code:
Request URL: http://<the.server.dyndns.name>:81/time/ThoroughbredTrail?jpeg&speed=0&pos=1672172899216&session=4a8b2db653264bae3725621e2dac48b3&opaque=tSOoyEn0rZZ9Jnqc&w=2792&h=2160&stream=0&addmotion=0&addoverlay=0
Request Method: GET
Status Code: 500 Internal Server Error
Remote Address: <the.server.ip.address>
Referrer Policy: strict-origin-when-cross-origin
Ah, as I was writing this ridiculously long message I might have found a clue. I manage 3 BI boxes, and the one box that I see this on most frequently is my home installation, where my video storage is a 4-disk JBOD Storage Space in an external USB enclosure. On the other 2 boxes the video is stored on a single disk, directly connected by SATA.

Could it be the Storage Space or the USB connection or the combination of both? Are there logs on the server side that could help diagnose the problem?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Could it be the Storage Space or the USB connection or the combination of both? Are there logs on the server side that could help diagnose the problem?
Maybe so. I ran a small micro system and external USB drive for a while after my main server died waiting to find a deal on another. Worked fine mostly but now and then when doing various things I'd get the same. Server itself never seemed taxed much. Eventually "shucked" and swapped the drive into my new server and I don't think that I've seen the same since. But the new system is quite a bit better overall too.

Reaction score
After upgrading to the latest version of BI, the "Hi-Res Thumbnails" in UI3 are now always undefined (i.e. they look like the following)
I have verified that the hi-res jpegs are indeed being put into the Alerts folder. I did a Database->Delete&Regenerate but that did not seem to help. One thing i notice is that after upgrading, the file names are shorter than they used to be. For example now one that is front_stairs.20221228_152158.651948.3-1.jpg before would have been something like front_stairs.20221228_152158.651948.3-1.1234547.9726782.jpg.
It seems that UI3 is just not mapping hi-res thumbnails in the browser to the the new filename structure on disk. Any ideas?

Capture.PNG

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Ah, as I was writing this ridiculously long message I might have found a clue. I manage 3 BI boxes, and the one box that I see this on most frequently is my home installation, where my video storage is a 4-disk JBOD Storage Space in an external USB enclosure. On the other 2 boxes the video is stored on a single disk, directly connected by SATA.

Unfortunately the only serverside logs are Blue Iris's main log file, and that is very unlikely to contain anything related to this. Worth a look though.

I do think it likely that the unusual storage device could be responsible. Is it possible to update drivers for the connection to the USB JBOD enclosure? Storage Spaces also adds a whole layer of complexity and could be causing random file access errors as well, especially when combined with the USB JBOD.

After upgrading to the latest version of BI, the "Hi-Res Thumbnails" in UI3 are now always undefined (i.e. they look like the following)
I have verified that the hi-res jpegs are indeed being put into the Alerts folder. I did a Database->Delete&Regenerate but that did not seem to help. One thing i notice is that after upgrading, the file names are shorter than they used to be. For example now one that is front_stairs.20221228_152158.651948.3-1.jpg before would have been something like front_stairs.20221228_152158.651948.3-1.1234547.9726782.jpg.
It seems that UI3 is just not mapping hi-res thumbnails in the browser to the the new filename structure on disk. Any ideas?
I confirm I get the same thing when I'm on latest BI. This is literally what Blue Iris sends when I request one of the "high res thumbnails":

1672338712852.png

This is requested via an API call that includes the ID of the database object, like this: /alerts/@5364636186.bvr?fulljpeg

Pretty sure UI3 is doing everything correctly here, Blue Iris is just failing to return the requested resource. You should tell Blue Iris support.

42corsair

n3wb
Reaction score
Is there a way to assign a hotkey to specific camera that will work in UI3? I did assign a hotkey to both a camera and a group with a single camera - that works in the BI app, but not in UI3. The only thing I can get to work is to go to next camera with comma and period - close, but I want to be able to pick a specific camera at any time.

I want to be able to select any camera for full screen view, from UI3, from an external keyboard source - ie programmable keyboard.

Any way to do this or suggestions?

Thanks!