Blue Iris UI3

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Interesting. What generation are they? Mine are 8th and 10th.

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Offhand, I'd have to look. That said, the 8s are from 2018 and earlier. The 10s are 2020 and 2021.

Edit:
The 8 in front of me (running Windy) is 7th gen.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Good idea. But if there is a way for the browser to keep it awake, I'd prefer that route. They've all been de-bloated and neutered/firewalled. I'd prefer to keep background things to a minimum.

But, since you appear to be doing the same as me, do you have issues with your UI3 on the tablets "oh snapping"?
Keeping the screen on is out of UI3's direct control. It is a behavior of the HTML5 video element. The JavaScript player doesn't use an HTML5 video element, so the browser doesn't try to keep the screen on. I suppose I could make a hacky screen-keepalive function by looping a small video in a hidden HTML5 player. I'll put it in my todo list but it won't be high priority.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
After turning on "keep screen on while charging" under developer options, I can prevent the screen from turning off. However, it still goes into dim mode after the "display timeout" time has been exceeded (30 min). So, I gave in and installed wakey (similar to alive) - a program my brother uses on his tablets. Keeps screen on and at max brightness. Since doing so, I haven't had a single "oh snap" crash. So the crashing may well have something to do with the tablet going into reduced power mode. Nope. Still oh snaps on at least one.
BTW, I've put all tablets on their own subnet which has no WAN access.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
After turning on "keep screen on while charging" under developer options, I can prevent the screen from turning off. However, it still goes into dim mode after the "display timeout" time has been exceeded (30 min). So, I gave in and installed wakey (similar to alive) - a program my brother uses on his tablets. Keeps screen on and at max brightness. Since doing so, I haven't had a single "oh snap" crash. So the crashing may well have something to do with the tablet going into reduced power mode. Nope. Still oh snaps on at least one.
BTW, I've put all tablets on their own subnet which has no WAN access.
Might be good to let them update Chrome if you have not done so in a while. As a last resort you can also try jpeg streaming since it works so differently, it might not trigger the same crash.

ericINT

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm still getting horrible playback on my PC and phone unless I move the resolution down to something less than 720p. Looking at the stats for nerds, do that reveal any clues? I get the same playback on the BI mobile app on my higher-end android phone as well - so I'm not sure whether it's server or client (or both). The CPU on the client and server never get saturated and I'm able to speed test to my full GB up/down speed from my ISP while doing these tests, so I seem to have plenty of LAN bandwidth.
View attachment 138852
That is how my system responded with the framerate unequal on the substream and main stream.

Reaction score
I updated my production computer today to 5.6.2.9. It didn’t go as well as on my test computer.

That said, UI3 is now requiring credentials. Obviously I want to have it open without requiring credentials.

The web page states that “Your connection is not private”

B74484E2-8ECB-4AFD-B064-B125F044520A.jpeg
Any ideas on why? The UI3 tablet is 192.168.0.146 which is local, lan.

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Look at BI's status window, Connections tab to see the IP being used to connect. In some circumstances it is possible for that to be different than you expected.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Hmm, well I never run with "Use secure session keys and login page" unchecked so I'm not fully aware of how that behaves.

But I would expect your tablet there to be given an administrator session automatically because of being a whitelisted address, and even if that function was not working then it should be getting an anonymous session because of being a LAN address.

Lets back up a bit.

That said, UI3 is now requiring credentials. Obviously I want to have it open without requiring credentials.
What does it look like when you are asked for credentials? Can you screenshot that?

The web page states that “Your connection is not private”
This is just the web browser informing you that you didn't use HTTPS, which is completely normal because Blue Iris does not support HTTPS natively with its web server.

Roger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hmm, well I never run with "Use secure session keys and login page" unchecked so I'm not fully aware of how that behaves.

But I would expect your tablet there to be given an administrator session automatically because of being a whitelisted address, and even if that function was not working then it should be getting an anonymous session because of being a LAN address.

Lets back up a bit.

What does it look like when you are asked for credentials? Can you screenshot that?

This is just the web browser informing you that you didn't use HTTPS, which is completely normal because Blue Iris does not support HTTPS natively with its web server.
I am traveling and accessing my network via zerotier. First time I have gotten credidential request as well.

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@bp2008 No rush.

I see with BI 5.6.3.0 (UI3 v223) that I can get audio during single camera playback on Timeline tab. Very nice! But when I toggle to a group view, the audio does not work, EXCEPT if I jump to current time---meaning, audio works in group view during live playback but not when going back to old date/time. Is this a known limitation?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
@bp2008 No rush.

I see with BI 5.6.3.0 (UI3 v223) that I can get audio during single camera playback on Timeline tab. Very nice! But when I toggle to a group view, the audio does not work, EXCEPT if I jump to current time---meaning, audio works in group view during live playback but not when going back to old date/time. Is this a known limitation?
You know more than I do. I haven't tried it yet :)

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
@bp2008 No rush.

I just tried. You're right, no audio stream is given for group timeline video. I'd say this behavior is consistent with the release notes:

Audio has been enabled for the selected camera during timeline playback on either UI3 or
locally when a camera is selected and playback speed is normal (1x).
Hopefully timeline multi-camera audio is coming soon, but to be fair I think in a lot of systems this is less valuable since there's often a really noisy camera in the mix, or the streams are out of sync enough to make the audio a mess when you hear all the cameras at the same time.

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hopefully timeline multi-camera audio is coming soon, but to be fair I think in a lot of systems this is less valuable since there's often a really noisy camera in the mix, or the streams are out of sync enough to make the audio a mess when you hear all the cameras at the same time.
@bp2008 Just case you did not know, for each group, when I edit group config, I can control which camera(s) will provide audio for that group. Typically, I select only 1 camera audio for each group so that I don't have multiple audio streams during group view.

edit group.png

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
@bp2008 Just case you did not know, for each group, when I edit group config, I can control which camera(s) will provide audio for that group. Typically, I select only 1 camera audio for each group so that I don't have multiple audio streams during group view.
Nice. I had forgotten about that.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The default "VBR" streaming profiles in UI3 will use far less bandwidth than most of the others (at the cost of reduced quality). Also can help to change the H.264 player to "JavaScript" in the UI settings panel.

Otherwise if you want to absolutely eliminate delay and don't mind having a low frame rate and higher bandwidth usage, choose Jpeg HD. It is not possible for a UI3 jpeg stream to get delayed unless it is frozen and not updating at all.