Blue Iris UI3

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
What would cause this level of delay? I'm getting horrible frame rates on playback - not just UI3...

1635793725886.png

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
What do you mean "not just UI3"? All you showed was a screenshot from UI3 which suggests your CPU is way too slow to handle the video stream. If it is only 18 seconds into the video and yet 51 seconds behind, that is really bad. Try a different H.264 player in UI Settings.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
What do you mean "not just UI3"? All you showed was a screenshot from UI3 which suggests your CPU is way too slow to handle the video stream. If it is only 18 seconds into the video and yet 51 seconds behind, that is really bad. Try a different H.264 player in UI Settings.
Sorry, yes, I should provide more detail. CPU is around 50%. i think it's network related and am trying to hunt it down. BI server is crashing every few minutes. Something got hosed.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
1635794741343.png

Just wondering if these values point to a specific set of circumstances?

I'm running UI3 version 182, Blue Iris version: 5.5.1.18

i'm replacing network switches thinking perhaps it's a bandwidth issue.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
What's crazy is when I log into individual cameras directly, they are smooth as silk.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Something is definitely out-of-whack. Network delay can be caused by either the network or the BI server (if it is overloaded). Player delay is pretty much always the fault of the machine you are running UI3 on being too slow. What are you running it on? a raspberry pi?

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Something is definitely out-of-whack. Network delay can be caused by either the network or the BI server (if it is overloaded). Player delay is pretty much always the fault of the machine you are running UI3 on being too slow. What are you running it on? a raspberry pi?
No, an i5 SFF running at 30%. I just changed the cameras to h265 and the frame rate through the UI3 just jumped to match the recorded frame rate on the overlay. So it's something about how h264 is being webcast. it just doesn't make sense. I'm trying several other cameras to see if that theory holds on more than just the two I've tested.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Could be hardware accelerated decoding on your BI box being overloaded? Maybe the hardware acceleration circuits are overloaded, and switching to H.265 makes it fail to use hardware acceleration?

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Could be hardware accelerated decoding on your BI box being overloaded? Maybe the hardware acceleration circuits are overloaded, and switching to H.265 makes it fail to use hardware acceleration?
I've yet to see the GPU using more than 20%. i'm using an i7-6xxx for the BI server, so it should be handling the intel beta HWA. i did notice that all my HWA had turned off as of this AM, so I had to manually turn it back on. Since this apparently has nothing to do with UI3, I hate to add posts to this thread. I'll start a new one under BI troubleshooting if I can't get the h265 changes to stick.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
ok, so one thing possibly related to the UI3 interface. I have one camera that is working as it should but when as soon as I use my mouse wheel to zoom in on the camera, the screen goes black. At "fit' it reappears, but any zoom level it goes black. This is both on my normal chrome profile, and in private/incognito mode. Any ideas?

ETA: NM. I only had to wait for server to crash and restart BI server. now it's working again. this is so frustrating.

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
There have been some zooming bugs in Chrome for about a year, but they don't seem to affect all systems. Very frustrating indeed because there's nothing I can do to work around them, or even to detect when it is happening. Nobody expected a web site to try to scale up a video element so much.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
not at all frustrated by you or UI3. it's trying to find the gremlins that keep popping up on otherwise well working systems. Whether it's an update, hardware failure, or some other trigger, it goes form flawless to useless - and everything in between, in a matter of minutes. just wish there were better diagnostics to help narrow down some of those gremlins.

MikeLud1

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
ok, so one thing possibly related to the UI3 interface. I have one camera that is working as it should but when as soon as I use my mouse wheel to zoom in on the camera, the screen goes black. At "fit' it reappears, but any zoom level it goes black. This is both on my normal chrome profile, and in private/incognito mode. Any ideas?

ETA: NM. I only had to wait for server to crash and restart BI server. now it's working again. this is so frustrating.
I was having zoom crashes and found unchecking Use RTSP/stream timecode on all my cameras stop the crashes.
1635803016807.png

Coltect

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Firstly, Thanks for UI3. Much appreciation for your work.
A long time ago I found a setting in UI3 that stopped any screen / sleep on my pc when I left UI3 open. Not the Timeout setting in the UI Settings, but one that stopped the PC going to sleep or the screen turning off, but only while UI3 was in the foreground. I can't find any settings to do this now and don't remember how or what I did to make this work.
I think it was during BI V4 days and since then I have had 3 different PC's running BI but still using the same one as my PC, so the setting must be something local to my PC.
Does anyone have any ideas ? Thanks.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
@erkme73 I stopped using Intel beta as on my system it would randomly disable itself in some or all of my cams and like you I just went in and re-enabled it but clearly this indicated that there was an issue.

Since then I’ve switched to Intel VPP and I’ve since not has the acceleration disable itself so might be worth a try.

I also have a 6500 box but with an i5 so very similar hardware.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
A long time ago I found a setting in UI3 that stopped any screen / sleep on my pc when I left UI3 open. Not the Timeout setting in the UI Settings, but one that stopped the PC going to sleep or the screen turning off, but only while UI3 was in the foreground. I can't find any settings to do this now and don't remember how or what I did to make this work.
UI3 never had such a setting. Blue Iris has a setting like that, but it can't affect UI3.

You would just need to find your operating system's power settings and configure sleep there.

Note that UI3's HTML5 video player will probably keep the screen on when it is active, and nothing can be done to control that.

@erkme73 I stopped using Intel beta as on my system it would randomly disable itself in some or all of my cams and like you I just went in and re-enabled it but clearly this indicated that there was an issue.

Since then I’ve switched to Intel VPP and I’ve since not has the acceleration disable itself so might be worth a try.

I also have a 6500 box but with an i5 so very similar hardware.
Yep, Blue Iris turns off hardware acceleration for individual cameras when certain errors occur. Trying a different option could potentially avoid some errors.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
UI3 started "acting up" on me this evening. It's auto maximizing triggered cameras. So I went into settings and there is a setting for "triggered" or "motion" but no "none". Can this be disabled, if so how? Its irritating to me.

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My wishlist for the UI3 would be a setting where I could choose "Maximize" so it always maximizes when loading. I've tried using the command in the url that I point Chrome to on my Fire TV's but it seems to lose that full URL randomly and then it's a pain to maximize it on the TV.

Last edited: