Blue Iris UI3

hikky_b

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It does apply. Currently a reverse proxy is the only way to use HTTPS with Blue Iris. That can be changed, but there will always be the nuisance of certificates.
Brilliant - I will download and test now. Are there any particular benefits from a users point of view? Stability?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Brilliant - I will download and test now. Are there any particular benefits from a users point of view? Stability?
Its efficiency is on par with other hardware accelerated video players. The thing that differentiates it is slightly lower latency (less video delay) because UI3 is allowed to precisely control the frame timing. The next best player is HTML5, where latency of 3 to 5 frames is pretty common. That still isn't bad for our purposes, but it can be better, and that is where WebCodecs is most beneficial to a user. Lower latency means slightly less loading time when switching streams, which includes seeking in clips.

(speaking of clips, I notice the WebCodecs player isn't handling clip playback quite right; I'll fix that for UI3-182)

Currently I have only tested WebCodecs on three machines. One of them was a virtual machine in a system without a real GPU, and the WebCodecs player performed very badly in that VM even though the HTML5 player was fine. This is something I would expect to be ironed out as more and more developers begin using it and reporting bugs.

PlayerEfficiencyLatency (video delay)StabilityNotes
WebCodecs1.8% - 3.6% CPU
23% GPU
Very low
1634947127474.png
Unknown* Only available if UI3 is served via HTTPS.
* Uses brand new API that is not widely used
yet, so stability is unknown.
HTML51.9% - 3.3% CPU
23% GPU
Medium
1634947194760.png
Good* Rarely spams with error message when
ending a stream.
* Can show black frame if paused
immediately after playback begins.
JavaScript19.2% - 22.2% CPU
43% GPU
Low
1634947687429.png
ExcellentWorks in nearly any modern browser.
Cannot use hardware acceleration.
NaCl2% - 3.6% CPU
23% GPU
Very low
1634947773066.png
Unknown* Chrome only.
* Requires Native Client to be
enabled in chrome:/flags,
so it is very rarely used.
* Renders video in Limited RGB
colorspace which means lower
contrast than normal.

The HTML5 player is not really unstable (it is super rare for it to actually crash outright), but it does have a few glitches which I have not seen with other players, noted in the Notes section above.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I am not, my mistake I thought it will work without HTTPS
Nope, that is the whole point of the issue I linked on github earlier. To get the Chrome developers to reconsider allowing WebCodecs to be used without HTTPS hosting, because it is impractical for applications exactly like Blue Iris.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The problem is that HTTPS is difficult to set up properly so that you don't get browser warnings when you connect. If Blue Iris were to switch to HTTPS hosting by default, then suddenly almost all users would have to click through a warning page from their web browser in order to load UI3. This would be confusing for most users, who do not understand technology enough to even know where the warning came from, let alone why it is there.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Quick update question. How often do people apply BI Updates? I have BI updates coming to my inbox through the forum but it seems there's a new update almost everyday. I always thought the mindset on here was if it ain't broke don't fix it. Does eveyone do daily updates?

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Quick update question. How often do people apply BI Updates? I have BI updates coming to my inbox through the forum but it seems there's a new update almost everyday. I always thought the mindset on here was if it ain't broke don't fix it. Does eveyone do daily updates?
I only run his stable version. I think the last stable is from August. I never run his latest version as they are riddled with bugs.

Reaction score
Is anyone else seeing... where you hover over the alerts on the left... some cameras show the gif of the video at normal size... but then others are like full screen... This is a recent issue.. Even on the same camera... sometimes you hover over and the gifs are normal size (the normal size since i can remember on ui3) and then later other clips will be like 3/4s of the screen... I cannot figure it out.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
@mrfrankmrfrank @sebastiantombs That is an recent change in UI3.

It was done because deepstack can make annotations on a high-res JPEG file associated with the alert. Things like drawing a box around an object and labeling it "person 96%" or whatever. At the small size, these annotations were not typically legible. So now when Blue Iris indicates it has a Hi-res JPEG file associated with an alert, UI3 will load that at full resolution instead of the smaller thumbnail when you mouse over the alert. This is configured in Blue Iris Camera Properties > Trigger. But perhaps deepstack integration can also cause these images to be created? I've never actually used deepstack.

1635434437794.png

There are also some new settings related to the preview animation, including the ability to turn off the animation when a high resolution JPEG is found (in order to actually give the user time to read deepstack's annotations).

1635434757045.png

If needed, I suppose I could add another setting that prevents the Hi-res JPEG from being shown at all, so the preview will just always be normal size.