Blue Iris UI3

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I love new "auto maximize " :) How can i setup maximize zime ? I olny see 2-3 . Can you add a time option ?
No, I can't add a time option; that would make it far too complex keeping track of which motion events or triggers the UI had already responded to.
The only option related to this is to choose whether cameras get maximized upon BI motion detect or upon camera trigger. The default (Trigger) should be more stable in terms of keeping cameras maximized longer.

Pentagano

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My end result is UI3 being displayed with outside cameras only on my 42" smart TV. 10" tablet would not work. I have to think when it's 3am and intruder alert goes off. No time to reach for my glasses :)
I have a spare 32inch tv non-smart unfortunately.

What would be the cheapest way of getting an internet feed and browser onto it?
A cheap usb tv dongle thing?

I tested it with a blueray player with the browser app and works fine with the hdmi from that.

Thanks

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes. Probably an Amazon Fire TV stick or something. I can't vouch for the quality of the experience but I do recall others having tried it and found it acceptable.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
The fire sticks work well.
If you run into problems with it timing out when you turn off the TV, do a search on this site for instructions to fix that.

rebelbah

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a spare 32inch tv non-smart unfortunately.

I tested it with a blueray player with the browser app and works fine with the hdmi from that.

Thanks
a Raspberry Pi is an option

aesterling

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
No, I can't add a time option; that would make it far too complex keeping track of which motion events or triggers the UI had already responded to.
The only option related to this is to choose whether cameras get maximized upon BI motion detect or upon camera trigger. The default (Trigger) should be more stable in terms of keeping cameras maximized longer.
@bp2008 Love the new auto-maximize feature, thank you for building it!

What determines how long a cam is maximized? Does it remain maximized while the cam is in a triggered state (break time), or is it a separate timer?

How does UI3 handle the "auto-maximize" when multiple cameras are triggered in a row? It seems like a new trigger will not override a previous "auto-maximize" until UI3 has returned to grid view?

Totally understand your hesitation to add this feature in the first place, as well as the need to keep it simple. Only asking to better understand the behavior.

Thanks!

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
@bp2008 Love the new auto-maximize feature, thank you for building it!
Thanks, and you're welcome!

What determines how long a cam is maximized? Does it remain maximized while the cam is in a triggered state (break time), or is it a separate timer?
It remains maximized for as long as the maximize condition is active. In UI Settings > Video Player you can configure whether you want the maximize condition to be "Motion" or "Trigger".

1611960931575.png

"Motion" means the cam will only be maximized while Blue Iris is actively detecting motion, so it resets fairly quickly.

"Trigger" means the cam will stay maximized until your break time expires. "Trigger" mode is also required if you don't use Blue Iris's built-in motion detection.

How does UI3 handle the "auto-maximize" when multiple cameras are triggered in a row? It seems like a new trigger will not override a previous "auto-maximize" until UI3 has returned to grid view?
The way it works is UI3 asks Blue Iris for the camera status every 1 second while this feature is enabled. When each data update is received, UI3 goes through the visible cameras left to right, top to bottom, checking if the maximize condition has been met on any of them. When it finds one, it maximizes that camera and waits for the condition to go away before looking at other cameras.

It would be nice if it could be smarter, but without any control over the serverside, I can't do much.

Just spitballing here, but when in "Motion" mode, maybe I could have UI3 do a "soft-release" of the camera when motion stops being sensed by the maximized camera, where it will switch to another camera that is sensing motion if there is one, otherwise the maximized camera could stay open a few seconds longer. This way UI3 could still respond fairly quickly to objects moving between cameras, but not be quite as quick to un-maximize during periods of intermittent motion sensing.

Reaction score
Hope I'm in the right spot ... been playing with BI for years and have deployed a dozen successful commercial video security sites using it as the backbone!!!! In my own use, we tend to use the UI3 interface on a lot of viewing stations scattered around building and recently have found some cheap touchscreen 15" screens coupled with the Google Fire stick (using built in web viewer ..... or the android app) provides the lowest cost viewing station with decent local control. All of our BI main boxes are usually hidden and/or in server rooms. So far so good. Now playing with the AI/DS and forked AITOOLS getting close to very solid alerts (flagged) without all the false alerts. Now the question ... UI3 can audio announce new alerts .... but would really like to see some option so that it audio alerts only when the new flagged alerts show up ... maybe even cycle the screen to the new flagged alert ???? Comments?

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi @THEGreenBoxInc.

The audio alerts feature only makes sounds when Blue Iris tells it to, and I don't control that. I'm also not really aware of how the AI tools work with regard to alerting.

Automatically opening new alerts seems like it would be a bad idea, not only because it would take away the live view unexpectedly but because UI3 still can't do a great job of playing recordings that are still open for writing. It gets out of sync with Blue Iris in its knowledge of how long the clip is, which causes problems.

Reaction score
Hi @THEGreenBoxInc.

The audio alerts feature only makes sounds when Blue Iris tells it to, and I don't control that. I'm also not really aware of how the AI tools work with regard to alerting.

Automatically opening new alerts seems like it would be a bad idea, not only because it would take away the live view unexpectedly but because UI3 still can't do a great job of playing recordings that are still open for writing. It gets out of sync with Blue Iris in its knowledge of how long the clip is, which causes problems.
Makes sense .... I'm going to keep probing for ways to make a web page make a sound when a flagged alert appears ... maybe some of the alerting items in AITools already. Thanks for reply.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If you just need a sound to play when a flagged alert is added, I could probably make that happen. But the alert would need to already have its flag when it appears in the list. I doubt that is how the AI tool works?

You'd also need to already be on the Alert list when the alert was added.

xjust

n3wb
Reaction score
any way to autoload ui3 in fullscreen ?
im using a LG smart tv's browser, and it would be nice after starting the browser to go fullscreen automatically

DouglasteR

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The fire sticks work well.
If you run into problems with it timing out when you turn off the TV, do a search on this site for instructions to fix that.
Can you please elaborate how you did it ?

I'm thinking in set up the fire stick in the kitchen's TV so anyone can just switch to HDMI2 and see who's at the door.

The FPS is decent ?
Does it use the native browser ?
The HDMI power is enough or the USB power is a must ?

Any other tips?

Thanks and cheers !

xGROMx

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is there a way to select which camera's audio is used when viewing all cameras? I have two audio cameras and only want to hear one camera out of the two while viewing all cameras window. I know I can go into BI and turn webcast audio on or off per camera, but then I would be unable to maximize/select that camera and listen to audio. Its all or none. I would even accept no audio while viewing all cameras and was able to click on a camera (maximize it) to hear audio.

Its annoying to hear the audio from multiple cameras. Any other ideas in UI3 or BI?
Or maybe a future feature?

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Is there a way to select which camera's audio is used when viewing all cameras? I have two audio cameras and only want to hear one camera out of the two while viewing all cameras window. I know I can go into BI and turn webcast audio on or off per camera, but then I would be unable to maximize/select that camera and listen to audio. Its all or none. I would even accept no audio while viewing all cameras and was able to click on a camera (maximize it) to hear audio.

Its annoying to hear the audio from multiple cameras. Any other ideas in UI3 or BI?
Or maybe a future feature?
You can turn off audio streaming for any camera group via this little-known panel in the local console.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I looked in that little know panel area to solve this and couldn't find anything. I also know you worked hard to get the auto maximize feature integrated. While I appreciate the maximize on trigger or alert, but find it far too distracting. Is there a way to disable that feature? (I know, there's one in every crowd)

Last edited: