Blue Iris Tools - Weather Overlay, Watchdog & more!

Blue Iris Tools - Weather Overlay, Watchdog & more! 1.6.0

AMP

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Thanks
I just came here to say oh em gee. That photo is phenomenal. Is that your BI?
Thanks! Yes, you can see some videos from it on my YouTube Channel It's a 30X PTZ Hikvision camera. Well a Chinese branded one with Hikvision internals. It's captured some amazing things and been on the local news for certain things like this I have it magnet mounted on my balcony to that metal column.

20220404_194728.jpg

Sparkey

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

AMP

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Don't know if I'd trust a magnet. :lol:
Hah, well it's not going anywhere. It's actually 4 magnets, "112 LB holding power" each. I think I could probably hang off it, but I'm not gonna test that. I actually use a huge flathead screwdriver like a crowbar to get it off of there. I don't know what would happen if the New Madrid fault decided to unleash an earthquake like the big ones in 1811 - 1812, but if that doesn't happen, it'll be there no way it comes down without human intervention.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

piconut

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Just checking to see, does anyone use CumulusMX for their weather station and have been able to integrate it into Blue Iris Tools for the data on the weather overlay? I was all giddy about getting my weather data put on my BI system, but I see that it only works with WU? Somehow, BI Tools knew my old Station ID on WU and filled it in, but I haven't sent data to WU in quite a few years. I might have dowloaded BI Tools years ago, when I had BI version 3 & version 4.
I also use CumulusMX and since it can easily output a text file with the weather info periodically updated, I would think that it shouldn't be too hard to figure out a way to get BI Tools to pull that in, although I'm no programmer. I guess knowing the format that BI Tools requires would be the first step to pulling the data in and then getting CumulusMX to write a file in that format. Since CumulusMX supports webtags, it seems like someone with some basic scripting skills could figure it out.

AMP

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I also use CumulusMX and since it can easily output a text file with the weather info periodically updated, I would think that it shouldn't be too hard to figure out a way to get BI Tools to pull that in, although I'm no programmer. I guess knowing the format that BI Tools requires would be the first step to pulling the data in and then getting CumulusMX to write a file in that format. Since CumulusMX supports webtags, it seems like someone with some basic scripting skills could figure it out.
If you can have CumulusMX output each variable into separate text files, like temperature.txt with just the value of temperature (like 70F) then it's pretty easy because that's pretty much how Blue Iris Tools outputs the Wunderground data, then you set the macros to reference the values in those text files. If CumulusMX outputs everything to the same file, then some parsing might need to be done from an add-on script to then output each variable into it's own text file like I'm describing. Below is a screenshot showing the files and some examples like I'm talking about. You could do it all to one file (kinda like the everything.txt), then that might not be as customizable for how you would want the overlay data to appear on your camera feed in Blue Iris.
Screenshot 2022-04-05 022849.png

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
If you’ve not tried this bp2008 utility, you might want to give it go.

Examples here…

I’ve looked at the Cumulus API and you should have no problems automating the creation of the desired *.txt files.

piconut

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Well, surprisingly, I got it to work with one exception. I got CumulusMX generating the text files and they are being updated regularly and I was able to use that in BI Tools to overlay that data on the video. The problem is, the degree sign is getting messed up in the process. I created a template file that looks like this inside:

Temperature: <#temp>"°F"
Heat Index: <#heatindex>ºF

nut it comes out like this in the resulting text file. I have tried using quotes around it and not (as in the example above) and I have tried checking the UTF-8 option (both tried with this option on and off). In all cases I get the weird diamond shape characters. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Temperature: 83.9"�F"
Heat Index: 86.8�F

AMP

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Well, surprisingly, I got it to work with one exception. I got CumulusMX generating the text files and they are being updated regularly and I was able to use that in BI Tools to overlay that data on the video. The problem is, the degree sign is getting messed up in the process. I created a template file that looks like this inside:

Temperature: <#temp>"°F"
Heat Index: <#heatindex>ºF

nut it comes out like this in the resulting text file. I have tried using quotes around it and not (as in the example above) and I have tried checking the UTF-8 option (both tried with this option on and off). In all cases I get the weird diamond shape characters. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Temperature: 83.9"�F"
Heat Index: 86.8�F
It really sounds like it has something to do with that from Cumulus.ini - Cumulus Wiki

Screenshot 2022-04-05 123557.png

Might also be worth a read: NOAA Reports °C not displaying correctly - Cumulus Support

piconut

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
It really sounds like it has something to do with that from Cumulus.ini - Cumulus Wiki

View attachment 124453

Might also be worth a read: NOAA Reports °C not displaying correctly - Cumulus Support
I checked my Cumulus.ini file and the NOAAUseUTF8=1 option was already set to 1 (the default), which means it is using UTF-8 encoding. I also read the Cumulus wiki and tried using the "Convert to UTF-8" tool as mentioned in that thread but it didn't change the diamonds back to the degree symbol. I'm guessing that this issue is baked into the way Cumulus (or CumulusMX) processes the template files and replaces the tag with the actual weather data. Not being a programmer, I wouldn't know how to write anything that would be able to automatically post-process my text files. If it helps, I've attached both a template file and the text file that CumulusMX outputs from that template file.

Attachments

AMP

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I checked my Cumulus.ini file and the NOAAUseUTF8=1 option was already set to 1 (the default), which means it is using UTF-8 encoding. I also read the Cumulus wiki and tried using the "Convert to UTF-8" tool as mentioned in that thread but it didn't change the diamonds back to the degree symbol. I'm guessing that this issue is baked into the way Cumulus (or CumulusMX) processes the template files and replaces the tag with the actual weather data. Not being a programmer, I wouldn't know how to write anything that would be able to automatically post-process my text files. If it helps, I've attached both a template file and the text file that CumulusMX outputs from that template file.
Did you see this post? Odd Character Has Replaced Degree Symbol - Cumulus Support There might be two different places where they list that UTF-8 option?

Screenshot 2022-04-05 133542.png

piconut

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Yep, I checked my Web/FTP Settings and the UTF-8 option was already selected (ticked). I even tried unchecking it, saving, then rechecking it and saving again but it didn't resolve the issue. I also tried checking and unchecking the UTF-8 option in the Extra Files section as well. I appreciate your help though.

Reactions: AMP

rdcohenmd

n3wb
Reaction score
Is there a way to use Blue Iris Tools to monitor to weather station Ids at the same time. One in Florida and one in Wyoming

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
My BIT is running about 15% of my i7 CPU at any given time. Is there something I need to configure to get that to a more reasonable level?

ETA: I tried to switch to other tabs (it was on the weather overlay tab) and it wouldn't switch. It was still responsive to all the buttons, just couldn't toggle. After shutting it down and restarting the app, all tabs worked, and the CPU dropped to near 0%. Probably just a fluke.

Ryushin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So am I assuming that BI Tools weather polling still works for some? I could not get it to work since March on any of the dozen or so station ID in Castle Rock, Colorado and I finally removed the overlays in late April.