Blue Iris Tools - Weather Overlay, Watchdog & more!

Blue Iris Tools - Weather Overlay, Watchdog & more! 1.6.0

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
My WU page is up to date, showing 19 seconds ago. I stopped uploading webcam images early this year out of disgust. WU has turned into a crap fest.

Donald

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Is Mike still around or as someone else asked.....is this a dead project?

gklimo

n3wb
Reaction score
This post link provides an example of how web-based personal weather station data (or any other web page) can be displayed within Blue Iris as a camera. This particular example involves showing data from a WeatherFlow Tempest. While not an overlay, it allows any web page you'd like to capture and display within Blue Iris.
Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Is this one of those THINGS that I can use the API download from Home Assistant for my Ambient Weather Station and somehow migrate the specifics into a camera overlay? Hmm...project #78!

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm still here and haven't forgotten about the issue. Been a hellish 2020 but things are calming down. TBH I already re-wrote the code for updates but I'm not 100% sold on it, so I have to spend some more time to get it perfect. Thanks for the patience!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm still here and haven't forgotten about the issue. Been a hellish 2020 but things are calming down. TBH I already re-wrote the code for updates but I'm not 100% sold on it, so I have to spend some more time to get it perfect. Thanks for the patience!
Great to hear from you, it's all good, man.... :wave:

Reaction score
Hi. Not sure if this is the place to post this, but I couldn't find any other.

Since a while now, I noticed that BItools keeps switching back to the Imperial system. Since I don't live in Liberia of Myanmar I would like it to stick to the metric system.
The settings are saved into the INI file, but they seem to be ignored when BItools starts. The settings are, puzzling as they may be:
[Other Weather]
Units=0
F=°C
MPH=km/h

Thanks in advance.

ECourts

n3wb
Reaction score
This is a known problem and has been reported a number of times - here for example:

The metric lovers out here are all anxiously awaiting an update.

Since a while now, I noticed that BItools keeps switching back to the Imperial system. Since I don't live in Liberia of Myanmar I would like it to stick to the metric system.
The settings are saved into the INI file, but they seem to be ignored when BItools starts. The settings are, puzzling as they may be:
[Other Weather]
Units=0
F=°C
MPH=km/h

Thanks in advance.

lvp2lvp

n3wb
Reaction score

[Other Weather]
Units=0
F=°C
MPH=km/h

Thanks in advance.
I am looking forward to get an update so that BIT doesn't change to Imperial system every time the app starts up.

Thanks!

Dorsey

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm very happy to introduce Blue Iris Tools to everyone. Blue Iris Tools was created to act as a companion to Blue Iris and has a bunch of features built in to help maximize your Blue Iris experience.

Some of the core features of Blue Iris Tools are:
  • Weather Overlays
    • Easily add the local weather to your camera feeds,
    • Easily create Macros for Blue Iris right from BI Tools,
    • Ability to assign all weather conditions to 1 Macro!
    • Retrieve & overlay weather from multiple locations
  • Watchdog
    • If Blue Iris crashes or closes, BI Tools will re-open it
    • Monitor Blue Iris (whether running 'normal' or as a service)
    • Monitor Blue Iris' web server. If BIT cannot connect, activate alerts
    • CPU monitor + CPU Overlay
    • BI folders monitor
    • IP Address monitor (notify if change)
    • Notifications - Get notified if BI crashes via e-mail, push notifications via Pushover (download BIT icon here), by playing a sound, pinging / launching a URL.
  • Web Server File Management
    • Insert Google Analytics into web server files easily,
    • Search & Replace in web server files - manually or automatically
  • Language
    • Create and import custom language phrases and definitions. Language files are available in the 2nd post of this thread. If you created your own, please share it!
    • Click here to download or share language files
  • DDNS Updater & IP Management
    • Automatically update DDNS providers when your IP address changes
    • Integrated with IPCT DDNS. Our free DDNS solution.
  • Log
    • Log all BIT related actions (BIT open / close, etc.)
    • Watchdog (Anytime the Watchdog is triggered - if BI is closed, etc.)
    • Weather Updates (anytime the weather is updated)
    • DDNS Updater (when your IP changes, etc.)
    • CPU Usage (log CPU usage during alerts, etc.)
    • Overlay IP address on camera
  • BI Update Manager
    • Keep previous versions of Blue Iris
    • Easily restore previous BI versions
  • BIT Cloud
    • BIT Cloud Remote - Connect to BIT from another remote BIT to view / manage settings and control BIT / BI, etc.
    • BIT Cloud Web Server - A personal website for you to connect to from any browser on any device to check your BIT / BI, including stats, weather, log, cpu, settings, etc.
    • BIT Cloud Watchdog - Remotely monitor a BI or BIT install - with watchdog alerts.
  • Add-ons
    • Create your own or install from the community for more control of BI and BIT
    • BIT Event Handlers installed for interaction with BIT & BI
    • View add-ons wiki here
  • Key Manager
    • Easily retrieve your license key from your machine
    • Store other license keys
  • Batch Config Tool (BI4)
    • Update multiple camera's settings at once

BI Tools uses WUnderground to gather the weather. You can find your nearest station here. I plan on adding more weather providers in the future.

Here are some screenshots of Blue Iris Tools.
View attachment 38291View attachment 38286View attachment 38303View attachment 38294View attachment 38290View attachment 38302View attachment 38304View attachment 38305View attachment 38348 View attachment 38350View attachment 38299View attachment 38298View attachment 38301View attachment 38285View attachment 38306View attachment 38295View attachment 38296View attachment 38297View attachment 38300View attachment 38292View attachment 38293

Here are a few examples of the weather on your video feeds. You can select which conditions to show, what units to display and more.
View attachment 38287 View attachment 38288 View attachment 38289

I have put together athread to act as a 'help file' or a place that provides details and explanations on how to use the software, what each feature and setting does, etc. If you cannot find the answers you are looking for in the help file then you may ask for support in this thread. Please view the add-ons wiki for information on how to use the add-ons system.

A big thanks to the beta team for helping get BIT where it is! Blue Iris Tools was built by me and is offered for free to everyone. I ask that you don't redistribute the software, rather direct people here to download it. I am not a programmer by trade, I just wanted to put together this software to help out the Blue Iris community. I expect bugs to crop up throughout the early releases but I plan on building and maintaining BI Tools long term, so if you do find bugs or have issues don't worry, whatever it is I will take care of. Just let me know. Please don't hesitate to leave your suggestions or feedback as well. I want to build and expand BI Tools as much as possible and have a lot of really good ideas that will make their way into future releases.

I plan on updating this thread when I release updates and will use it as a centralized location to discuss BI Tools. Please visit this thread for the help file and see the 2nd post in this thread for language files.

Current Release
Jan 18, 2020 - v.1.6.0 - If you already have BIT then update via BIT. If not, download the installer using the link on the top of this page.

Upcoming
-Send commands via BIT Cloud Web Server pages
-More info & controls from BIT Cloud Web Server and BIT Cloud Remote
-"My BIT Cloud" - Personal storage space to backup BIT, BI & more.
-BIT Cloud API
-Add custom CSS and HTML to the web server pages

Download & Installation Instructions
  • Blue Iris Tools v1.6.0 Installer.zip - For new installations download Blue Iris Tools v1.6.0 Installer.zip and extract the files. From there, run setup.exe. If your web browser or firewall flags it, disable during installation. If you encounter errors during the install, please 'ignore' them if possible. If you have a previous version of BIT, make sure it is closed. Always check for an update after installation.

• bit-update.zip - If you are upgrading from a previous version of BIT that did not use the installer then download the bit-update.zip file, close BIT if it is running and extract the contents over your previous installation of Blue Iris tools. You may also download and install via the installer if you like. All future versions will be updated via BIT itself.

• error-files only for issues.zip - Only use this if you are unable to properly install or run BIT, then download the contents of "error-files only for issues.zip" and extract them to a directory of your choice. Run BIT from there. If you are still having issues then please post in this thread.
Donate
I have been asked several times about accepting a donation for my work, so I finally decided to set up an easy way to do so. While it's not obligated, it's certainly appreciated. Blue Iris Tools is free and always will be free, but if you would like to make a donation, you may do so by clicking here - Donate to Blue Iris Tools

The link to download has been moved to the top of the page.
I am getting a TLS error when trying to click the "Version can't connect..." Go back to the last page and change settings..." What settings does it want me to change?

Edcfish

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Select NO. Uncheck the Check for updates option. Exit the program, and reboot. BIT should continue to work, or at least it did for me and other members here.

@miles267 Until there is an update, this should be what you need.
The program otherwise continues to function very well on my system.

jshimota01

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm attempting to control lighting and other features in my smart home with luminescence. It is working beautifully by pulling values from OpenWeatherMap. One item I'd like to have is the ability to see the outdoor luminescence in my BI Tools overlay. I see the UV index (which doesn't ever have any value for me) but I don't see Lux or Luminescence. It would be valuable to have this display as a param/option with the other outdoor info I get. Any chance someone has found a way or modded this old but fantastic tool?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
One item I'd like to have is the ability to see the outdoor luminescence in my BI Tools overlay. I see the UV index (which doesn't ever have any value for me) but I don't see Lux or Luminescence. It would be valuable to have this display as a param/option with the other outdoor info I get. Any chance someone has found a way or modded this old but fantastic tool?
If you (the program) can write that value into a text file, then create a macro in BIT to display it.
More info here in Blue Iris Tool Help => Weather Overlay

Last edited:

jshimota01

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
what a struggle - and still no success. Your suggestion was in the ballpark I was already exploring but I never did succeed. Here's my problem: I use Hubitat for a smart home foundation. They have no file accessibility externally. I'm using a driver called OpenWeatherMap to access the values for numerous weather related variables - including UV and Lux (called Illuminensce in their vernacular). The device has the ability to write local files - but they are only accessible as a web page. so I store 2 values to variables, then write then out and all looks great. Except they have no file system for me to hook into. You can't 'see' this device accept as a web page. I attempted to form the URL in different ways hoping BITs would handle but never succceded. The values update every 15 minutes btw. the file I create is available as: and when accessed, shows perfectly - but I can't think of a way short of writing a program to run every 15 minutes and capture that page and then save it to txt with some form of automation. I know I'm overlooking something obvious! I get a perfect file and result but I can't seem to sneak it into Bits or BI. Any other suggestions?
Jim

Edcfish

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
certainly not the solution you are looking for, but there are two utilities i use to capture web pages. Siteshoter and web2img Both capture a web page (or portion of) on a schedule and save an image (jpg) to a specified folder. I use them to grap snapshots of sites on a schedule and then aggregate the images into a BI camera for a all-in-one weather stop (radar image, satellite image, current time, temp, humidity, heat index/wind chill, last time updated and 7 day forecast image.

probably closer to what you are asking is a web scraper like UiPath or HTMLtoText, then you would just need to parse it to find the specific data out of the results, which i would think should be pretty easy.

jshimota01

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thanks for the replies! I will say I've got it solved. it's not elegant but I'll detail it here in hopes it helps another.
First - BITools or BITs is awesome and I love this little item! I use Hubitat as the center of my smart home. This product has an add on (community written) that connects to OpenWeatherMap. This service provides tons of things including images, forecast data, and a myriad of parameters, including UV and Luminescence (I'm going to call lumens for now). Bits, which does have UV, pulls it's data from Wunderground.com and the UV value is no longer being provided. Add that to Wunderground not having a luminescence value is what started me on this path.
I use the lumens value in my smart home to determine if a light should go on in a room when someone enters. I also want to use it as a Trigger in BlueIris to have the camera change from Day/Night in a controlled way. The Automatic Day/Night I have on my security cameras is mediocre at best.
So I wanted to use BITs to display the Lumens and UV values so I could monitor and fine tune my cameras. Okay. so thats the background.
HUbitat is a web based device. It has NO file management. but recently it has begun allowing storing of files in a Local folder. This is a recent thing and still in Beta. So - I write a 'rule' in hubitat, that it takes the values of UV and Lumens from OpenWeatherMap and saves them to a variable, then writes those 2 variables into a txt file and stores that file in the Local folder. I have this 'rule' run every 15 minutes, and overwrite the existing file with the latest values.
I then installed in my CamServer where BI runs (a Windows 2012 machine) a VERY old tool called Wget - a sort of 'walker' or 'spider' as we used to call it, and call that local file but in Html format. ie; '192.168.x.x/local/uv_lumens.txt' and then write THAT output into a txt file in the bits folder. I also force the wget to do an overwrite of the file... This works perfectly!
FInally, I simply added a scheduled task in Windows to run a batch file of this Wget line and scheduled it for every 10 minutes. It would be hard to set schedules on both the hubitat and scheduled tasks so they fired in proper order, so I opted for this 'cheat' method.
I then went into Bits, updated one of the macro values to point at my newly created file and placed in the camera overlay and ... viola. success!
Annotation 2021-03-29 083509.jpg

Annotation 2021-03-29 082533.jpgAnnotation 2021-03-29 083916.jpgAnnotation 2021-03-29 083729.jpgAnnotation 2021-03-29 083310.jpgAnnotation 2021-03-29 083216.jpg

Attachments

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
certainly not the solution you are looking for, but there are two utilities i use to capture web pages. Siteshoter and web2img Both capture a web page (or portion of) on a schedule and save an image (jpg) to a specified folder. I use them to grap snapshots of sites on a schedule and then aggregate the images into a BI camera for a all-in-one weather stop (radar image, satellite image, current time, temp, humidity, heat index/wind chill, last time updated and 7 day forecast image.
I've been using Siteshoter without issues (not trying to jinx myself here). I'm running two instances of it to get me the images below (7 day forecast is every 10min and radar is every 2 min).

20210329_132251.jpg