And so...I started a new lawn with grass seed...need to snapshot pics for next 3 months. Interval for time lapse?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
What is a good time lapse time interval? Every 4 hours? Every 6 hours? I am thinking first frost is usually end of October so 2 or 3 months worth.
If you're into command-line stuff and going to use ffmpeg to convert the cache of still frames into video, you can get it to skip frames if there are going to be too many for the level of change you'll be seeing. So too many gives you some flexibility depending on how fast it grows.
Also - you should be able select a subset of the cached images to skip those at night if you want, based on the filesize differences that's likely between day and night.

Example commands :
Adjust filenames and framerate and filesize selections to suit.
ffmpeg -v verbose -framerate 25 -pattern_type glob -i '192.168.1.66_01_202*.jpg' -r 25 -c:v libx265 video1.mp4
find pics_orig/* -name *.jpg -size +530k -exec cp --preserve=timestamps '{}' pics_split ';'

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm always looking for better sprinklers. I just ordered, and haven't yet set up, a RainBird 32SA, that's actually built for in-ground systems. It has a 1/2" NPT female fitting on the bottom. I'll mount that on a piece of 1/2"x24" PVC with a ground stake, and hose fittings, and use it as a portable. It'll cover out to about 32 feet in a 40-360 degree pattern and the spray can be adjusted as well. I'm using a four zone hose timer, with BlueTooth from Eden. I've been using Orbit gear driven sprinklers but can't run two off of one hose, 3/4" hose, because each one puts out too much water dropping the pressure too much.

I have a large drip system for use in the garden and it really works well there, but we don't bother with a garden anymore. Just a few tomato plants.

Reaction score
I'm always looking for better sprinklers. I just ordered, and haven't yet set up, a RainBird 32SA, that's actually built for in-ground systems. It has a 1/2" NPT female fitting on the bottom. I'll mount that on a piece of 1/2"x24" PVC with a ground stake, and hose fittings, and use it as a portable. It'll cover out to about 32 feet in a 40-360 degree pattern and the spray can be adjusted as well. I'm using a four zone hose timer, with BlueTooth from Eden. I've been using Orbit gear driven sprinklers but can't run two off of one hose, 3/4" hose, because each one puts out too much water dropping the pressure too much.

I have a large drip system for use in the garden and it really works well there, but we don't bother with a garden anymore. Just a few tomato plants.
Actually won a lot of rain Bird 2-in 1800 series PRS x20 for around $20. Didn't realize I actually need four or six inch but oh well if these oscillating sprinklers don't pan out I am thinking of doing what you are thinking of with ground stakes. Already have items in my Amazon cart ready. Just remember to get the male to male connector which I actually could not find on Amazon. Rainbird has the connector for $7 each which is outrageous for piece of plastic. I will return home to find alternative connectors. And I believe since I have the sprinkler heads themselves I still need to purchase the VAN tips or whatever they are called that determines the spray pattern

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Reaction score
yep, some items came in that will work. I have 20 of these pop ups, 20 of these stakes. Now, to chop up some hose to interconnect them.
And finally found my sprinkler controller. A Rainmachine pro-8. Good reviews even though subscription model of....eh...$2 a month if that. Works for me.
PXL_20220902_032933059.jpg

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
what a fun little DIY project. Originally, I was planning to use garden hoses to interconnect everything. But found out 3/4" x 100' hose was $80+ each. And I would need 300'. So 3/4" poly-pipe 100PSI it is at Lowe's for $33x100'. This is temp for this year only. Next spring, I plan on using 160+PSI polypipe or PEX pipe for underground system. I sure did learn alot about this sprinkler system engineering :) Even bought a flow meter that I have to eventually hook up to the RainMachine (incase of blown/leaky polypipe or something) so it can shut off the main irrigation line via main valve.
I had to build my own 8 zone manifold, which includes easy removal compression fittings in case valve fails. I think 8 zone manifold for DIY parts came in around $200. Retail if bought manufactured would of been 2 or 3x's that.
The manifold is sitting in a temporary spot, all held down stoutly with tie wraps. Again, this is temp for the next couple months. I'll remove it all, drain, and store it all away come freezing time.
These are Rainbird 2" PRS 1800 series pop up sprinklers. Why did I go 2"? Cause I bought 16 of them new in the box at local auction for $20 :) I'll swap out to 4" versions next year.
And so came time to re-purpose some older 5231's. And setting up Blue Iris with scheduling (global over ride and made own specific schedules) to snap 1 picture every hour from 6am to 6pm 7 days a week.
Once again, at local auction...I snagged a pair of photography tripods for $5. I self screw tapped the 5231 bases to the aluminum tripods and set them out. Will find out how 40-50mph winds will affect these tripods soon :)
Landscape 2022-09-17 07.00.08.109 PM.jpgPXL_20220918_021417615.jpg

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
what a fun little DIY project. Originally, I was planning to use garden hoses to interconnect everything. But found out 3/4" x 100' hose was $80+ each. And I would need 300'. So 3/4" poly-pipe 100PSI it is at Lowe's for $33x100'. This is temp for this year only. Next spring, I plan on using 160+PSI polypipe or PEX pipe for underground system. I sure did learn alot about this sprinkler system engineering :) Even bought a flow meter that I have to eventually hook up to the RainMachine (incase of blown/leaky polypipe or something) so it can shut off the main irrigation line via main valve.
I had to build my own 8 zone manifold, which includes easy removal compression fittings in case valve fails. I think 8 zone manifold for DIY parts came in around $200. Retail if bought manufactured would of been 2 or 3x's that.
The manifold is sitting in a temporary spot, all held down stoutly with tie wraps. Again, this is temp for the next couple months. I'll remove it all, drain, and store it all away come freezing time.
These are Rainbird 2" PRS 1800 series pop up sprinklers. Why did I go 2"? Cause I bought 16 of them new in the box at local auction for $20 :) I'll swap out to 4" versions next year.
And so came time to re-purpose some older 5231's. And setting up Blue Iris with scheduling (global over ride and made own specific schedules) to snap 1 picture every hour from 6am to 6pm 7 days a week.
Once again, at local auction...I snagged a pair of photography tripods for $5. I self screw tapped the 5231 bases to the aluminum tripods and set them out. Will find out how 40-50mph winds will affect these tripods soon :)
View attachment 140242View attachment 140243
I'm no longer interested in the time lapse of the grass.
I want to see how this retic setup progresses.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I've run into similar problems and found the same things out. Hose costs are kind of high. Right now I have about 600' of 5/8" just for sprinklers. I started with Orbit sprinklers which work well but they do have a finite life. At $25-$35 each, depending on the season and where I buy them, they get expensive, too. I'm using an Eden four zone controller. After two years it's failing, erratic operation and I can't trust the thing any more.

So now I' converting over to RainBird 32SA popup sprinklers, about $12 each and plan on building my own 8 zone manifold to start with, probably expand that to ten or 12 zones eventually when I extend further out into the "lower" yard. The big problem is a controller that's big enough to handle that many zones, or more. I may fool with timed events in HomeSeer and see how that goes.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, I've seen that but it's not BlueTooth. If I use HomeSeer I'll be using RF capable relays for control so the controller location and operation will be from wherever I may be at the moment and be expandable as needed since all that will be needed are more valves, another manifold, and a little more programming.

Reaction score
Are there any follow-up pictures of the lawn? I also want to make the backyard of the house I just bought look better. A good lawn is the best solution for me because I don’t have much time now to deal with a garden. So, I need sustainable technology to grow and nice lawn in the shortest time possible. I already called Vancouver Landscapes, and they will come next week to see what they can do for the lawn, but maybe there are some additional tips I might use. The size of the backyard is about 5000 square feet. Maybe I will install something there in the future, but it’s just empty space for now.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Everything is going AOK, mostly. I initially threw down Fescue (drought tolerant) grass seed in the middle of August that I bought for $20 and tried hand watering. Pain in the butt to do this manually 3 times a day. Hence, I pursued this above ground sprinkler project which is a wonderful thing :) Due to using the stakes that hold the sprinkler heads, their holes are only 5/8" so there is not enough PSI to push enough water to a #3 sprinkler head in a line. Luckily, only 2 zones have 3 heads (rear lawn) but I have head to head water spray coverage from #1 and #2 heads so I'm good. Back to the seeds... I purchased Blue Grama seeds ($100) as they are even more drought tolerant (that is a big thing) and dispersed them middle of September. I am hoping not too late in the year for these new Blue Grama seeds as I should of used Blue Grama back in August. Gotta give time for seeds to develop roots before the first freeze which I am hoping will be around Halloween.
I water 6am, 11am, and 4pm for 5 minutes each zone. With the Rainmachine and Blue Iris, I try to remotely log in via VPN to see the wind & rain conditions which gives me the ability to delay watering if too windy or rain coming in.
I also did purchase new sprinkler head nozzles. The R-VAN adjustable rotary nozzles. They will help to even more so against any wind.
I think the green grass you see in the pictures are Fescue seeds that germinated as it's still too early (2 weeks?) for the Blue Grama seeds. Was told...takes 4-6 weeks for seeds to germinate. Either way...Fescue or Blue Grama... things are getting there.
FrontLawn.20220924_190000276.jpgRearLawn.20220924_190000301.jpg

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
As far as the time lapse is concerned, it's always best to start from the end and work backwards....

The biggest question you have to answer is how long do you want the final clip to be? 15 seconds, 30 seconds, 60 seconds, etc? The second question to answer is how many frames per second do you want your video to play back at? (I would suggest sticking with the standard 30 frames/second).

Once you know how long you want your final clip to be, then it's simple math to determine the image interval . A 30 second clip will need 900 individual images (30 seconds of material x 30 frames/sec = 900 individual images). If you are assuming 90 days to record your time lapse footage, you'll need 10 images per day to get 900 images for a 30 second clip. I assume you'll only want daylight images, so you need to set a 60 minute interval to get 10 images a day. Keep in mind that the days will be getting much shorter in the near future so a 45 minute interval is probably more appropriate.

This is of course assuming you want to record all 90 days, If you want to start the process closer to the actual germination date, then you'll need even faster intervals because you will be recording for fewer days.

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Once you know how long you want your final clip to be, then it's simple math to determine the image interval .
Alternatively - if you want to keep your options open because you don't know until you process it what the video is going to look like - you can over-provision the number of frames (ie a shorter timelapse interval) and define the input framerate when you create the video, automatically discarding the excess.