And so...I started a new lawn with grass seed...need to snapshot pics for next 3 months. Interval for time lapse?

Reaction score
After 12 years of desolate wasteland front yard, I transformed my 10'x80' side yard this past weekend Removed 95% of the stupid 3/4" gravel, weed barrier which did nothing (weeds grow ontop of it...go figure), threw down Fiscue grass seed (wanted Blue Grama or Buffalo Grass, but not available locally), mulch, some other stuff to help with hydration, and a traveling sprinkler (no time/funds for in-ground sprinkler system this year). I have 2 x Dahua 5231's catching the length of the yard, one is fixed, one is varifocal. I'd like to look back in a couple months of the progress with a time lapse to see how great of a job I did, or to see how I screwed things up.
What is a good time lapse time interval? Every 4 hours? Every 6 hours? I am thinking first frost is usually end of October so 2 or 3 months worth.
IMG_20220822_120446.jpgPXL_20220822_022504772.MP.jpg

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Good luck with that! I've been trying, desperately, to get grass growing here. I've been using Jonathan Green Black Beauty and it looks so good, but even with watering and regular fertilizing its turning brown on me with the heat and the drought we're having.

Reaction score
The local municipal water authority said Blue Grama or Buffalo grass is great for drought conditions. Local garden center didn't have any (no one in NV has any I think...which I find odd) but the garden center suggested this blend of grass. Fiscue conditioned for drought & heat. I'll find out!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Like the hardware cloth but the pooling water is a no-no. The seed needs to be moist, not sopping wet.
@Holbs ,
Some clean wheat straw could help that. But good luck though on finding any with out weeds, may pops (passion flowers), thistles, sawgrass, Johnson's grass, etc.
Have you considered hydro-seeding? Kind of like the DOT does along roadway projects. It's about $1000 per half-acre which is cheaper than sod but certainly not cheaper than seed.

TRLcam

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
An interval of 4 or 6 hours is only going to give you a few images per day and will result is a very jumpy timelapse video. I would go for every 30 minutes. You can always delete images but you can't make up images. Plus, storage is cheap.

Reaction score
@Holbs ,
Some clean wheat straw could help that. But good luck though on finding any with out weeds, may pops (passion flowers), thistles, sawgrass, Johnson's grass, etc.
Have you considered hydro-seeding? Kind of like the DOT does along roadway projects. It's about $1000 per half-acre which is cheaper than sod but certainly not cheaper than seed.
I'm poor :) I did toss down some mulch, a light covering. May add another bag of seed and 2 more bags of mulch since this traveling sprinkler was a tad too much water pressure & amount going down on open dirt/seed.

Reaction score
3 times a day at 15 minutes would probably work best for you. Run the water at. 5am,6am and 7am. That is what I do in Reno.
thinking of it more. are you sure? i thought for grass seed (not established lawn or sod), I can't have seeds dry out. Hence, many folk say to keep hydrated.